Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2013, 07:01 AM

49 posts, read 152,588 times

Advertisements

Hello. Sorry I have limited knowledge about mood stabilizers. All I know is they're used to treat bipolar patients.
One of the doctors I'm seeing suggested adding a mood stabilizer to my daily meds cocktail.
I wonder if anyone with depression find this helpful?

I had a little read, and what I read sounds scary.. weight gain, hair-loss..etc

Please share your experience!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 10:20 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,323,880 times
It would help if you said which specific drug. Other people may be taking that drug, but not know it as a "mood stabilizer". Also some drugs have two or three different names, brand names and generic. Best to list all names for the drug as some people may not recognize the drug by other names.

Other than that, many drugs have side effects. Some more so than others. You may want to try it and see if the good outweighs the bad. Then make a decision to keep taking it or stop taking it.

Also if you are taking several different drugs, be sure to read the drug interaction information about each drug... BUT especially read the labels on over-the-counter medicines like cold/flu medicine, etc. Some of those can have nasty interactions with some prescription medicines!

Old 05-11-2013, 01:20 PM

18,746 posts, read 33,484,310 times
Sounds like the OP might be talking about Neurontin or Depakote or another anti-convulsent that is used as a mood stabilizer. Neurontin also seems effective against anxiety. If current anti-depressant regimens aren't working, it is reasonable to add one of the above, but as others point out, do be aware of the side effects and interactions.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,794 times
Smile Mood stabilisers

Hi, I have been on lithium with antidepressant for six years. Have to have changes to antidepressant occasionally but lithium is amazing changed path of my recurrent episodes. Have to have regular blood checks as its highly toxic but that's all, good luck

Old 05-12-2013, 11:29 PM

Thanks all!
Billy_J
Sorry, it is Seroquel.
Regarding the interactions, I'm stopping Tramadol for this reason.

Phoenix5050
Thanks for sharing. All the best!

Old 05-23-2013, 11:49 AM

Hi,
Sorry my thread wasn't clear as I posted before I had a full discussion with my doctor

Anyways, I've been on Seroquel, 25mg for around a week.
It puts me to sleep FAST.

However, it seemed like it stop working now

Is it possible it built tolerance this fast?

I'm allowed to go to 50.. But I'm wondering if I'll need to go higher again after a while?

If I stop taking it, does it have nasty withdrawals?

Old 05-23-2013, 03:52 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,314,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil kitty View Post
Hi,
Sorry my thread wasn't clear as I posted before I had a full discussion with my doctor

Anyways, I've been on Seroquel, 25mg for around a week.
It puts me to sleep FAST.

However, it seemed like it stop working now

Is it possible it built tolerance this fast?

I'm allowed to go to 50.. But I'm wondering if I'll need to go higher again after a while?

If I stop taking it, does it have nasty withdrawals?
I was given it in addition to lamicatal. It was for 'episodes' where stress or triggers cause sudden mood swings. The first thing I found is it put me to sleep, so I tried it for that and it very quickly wore off. I could go up to 100. At fifty it made me sleep but I was in a fog all day. So I went to using the 25 mg pills for stress.

I rented a room from some people who had ww3 every night when he got home so with all the screaming I took it a lot. I began to notice that sometimes I'd wake up so utterly fatigued I couldn't get out of bed. And I'd just suddlenly feel very exhausted from nothing. My doctor was testing me for everything, but I figured it out when I had two 'episodes' of fainting in two days, right after the pill.

No fainting after I quit. But when I got online I researched. Be careful with this drug. There is the weight gain problem, which can be huge, and there are the red check warnings on the FDA papers. If you have cataracs in your family do NOT take it. It can cause them even if you don't but is far more likely to cause fast growing ones if there is a predisposition. I don't have one but had them develop VERY quickly to where I could only see shadow in both eyes. One of the surgery's didn't heal right and the pupil does not contract right.

The point of this warning is my pdoc was told and never once said to stop taking it. From the time my vision began to become compromised it should have been stopped immediately. Psychdocs OFTEN do not know the warnings.

As for the fainting, it is also known to cause sudden and eventually life threatening drops in blood pressure. That was what was happening to me. The last time I had a burner on the stove, heating soup when I actually passed out, getting to bed. It was almost dry when I woke up and dragged myself there to turn it off.

This doesn't say this will happen, but they are both high level warnings which doctors do NOT give you. And it will put on lots of weight. In my case it would cause a medical problem and eventually did but the psychdoc actually argued that that was 'less important'. If lots of weight is something you do not want then you have every right to say no to it.

If you see changes in vision or weight is compromising your health or you even feel like you might faint or get suddenly tired, see you MEDICAL doctor and tell them about the serequel. Look it up and print out the information yourself. Be proactive. Tell your pdoc too because they may not even know as often they don't read those documents or minimilaize their importance.

I never took it on a steady basis, but I'm sure there are concerns if you just quit and you'll have to carefully draw it back. This should be done with any of this class of drugs and gradually.

There is a site I reccomend before taking any drug, particulary psych drugs. Askapatient.com is a place people can record their reactions to medications. Many say it worked well or they like it. But the oddities are the things you want to watch out for and you'll see them too. This is not drug company sponsered, just a list of people's experience and I found it very very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health