Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 05:22 PM

376 posts, read 1,866,704 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. This is probably the 5th time I am attempting to quit smoking in the past 5 years. I hear they say it takes a few quits to stick. I have not smoked in about 3 months. In the past I used welebutrin-zyban, patches..etc... This time I did the patch for 5 days, went through a bit of withdrawal and decided on day 5 to rip the patch off and withdraw. I succeeded and it was not as bad I thought it would be. I think having the patch on for the first few days helped.

Now I am into my third month of being smoke free and I have really watched my diet. Added more fruits, veggies, whole grains. However, my mood swings are growing and I am feeling more depressed. I have had bouts of depression and anxiety my whole life but I think it has gotten worse since I quit.

Physically, at times I feel better as a non-smoker. Mentally, I sometimes think I am not sure if I should have quit. Has anybody who has quit noticed serious mood swings/anxiety even months after qutting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 07:01 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,197,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandeco View Post
Hello everyone. This is probably the 5th time I am attempting to quit smoking in the past 5 years. I hear they say it takes a few quits to stick. I have not smoked in about 3 months. In the past I used welebutrin-zyban, patches..etc... This time I did the patch for 5 days, went through a bit of withdrawal and decided on day 5 to rip the patch off and withdraw. I succeeded and it was not as bad I thought it would be. I think having the patch on for the first few days helped.

Now I am into my third month of being smoke free and I have really watched my diet. Added more fruits, veggies, whole grains. However, my mood swings are growing and I am feeling more depressed. I have had bouts of depression and anxiety my whole life but I think it has gotten worse since I quit.

Physically, at times I feel better as a non-smoker. Mentally, I sometimes think I am not sure if I should have quit. Has anybody who has quit noticed serious mood swings/anxiety even months after qutting?

I quit 12 years ago and I can relate to your experience. Smoking is one (not so healthy) way of dealing with depression and anxiety. Now that you have gotten rid of the cigarettes you need to find healthier ways to cope with bad feelings. Have you been exercising? That's the best remedy. It's always better to be smoke free and find healthier ways to cope.

You might want to see doc and consider meds if it's very bad, or try acupuncture or herbs if you prefer to try the natural route first.

The most important thing is to remember is that you have done the best thing you could ever do for yourself. You will become comfortable not smoking, in time you will almost forget that you ever smoked. I now find it disgusting, I hate being around smoke, the smell sickens me.

BTW, you are correct that it takes a few (or many in my case) tries to finally quit for good. Three months is awesome, you deserve to feel very proud of yourself.

Old 03-22-2008, 11:09 PM

Thanks Acupunk, your words mean a lot. It is nice when someone relates. It is so sad that I feel awful still and its been three months. It is not so much that I think I really miss smoking. Its just feeling sad and wanting that old nicotine friend to make me feel better and I know it wont.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandeco View Post
Thanks Acupunk, your words mean a lot. It is nice when someone relates. It is so sad that I feel awful still and its been three months. It is not so much that I think I really miss smoking. Its just feeling sad and wanting that old nicotine friend to make me feel better and I know it wont.
Hang in there. I know what you mean about wanting to have that thing that has made you feel better in the past, but it would make you feel horrible now to go back after 3 months. I think that would make you feel worse. It will get better, you will find other things to do instead of smoke.

Sometimes the best thing to do when you feel sad is to let yourself feel it, don't fight it at all. I will go in the shower and cry and just feel every emotion. At first it was scary, but then I got through it and I felt stronger. Now my emotions don't feel so intense because I know I can handle it and the feelings pass.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:36 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
Try to wait it out. After 6 months it gets easier, and after 1 year, it should be even better. I quit 11 years ago cold turkey. The first 3 days were hell for me. Even after 3 months, i still had the urge to go back and smoke, but i held off, actually went online and typed my days away, as long as I was typing, I couldn't smoke. And it really really helped.
Find an alternative. It's much easier if you find something to replace your need to smoke if the feelings get too strong. Feeling out of sorts is one way you are still withdrawing from the nicotine. It takes awhile to get completely clean of it.

The only thing you have to worry about after the 6month to 1 year mark or so, is the smoking dreams. As long as you only smoke in your dreams, you should be ok.
Good luck!

Old 03-23-2008, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Try to wait it out. After 6 months it gets easier, and after 1 year, it should be even better. I quit 11 years ago cold turkey. The first 3 days were hell for me. Even after 3 months, i still had the urge to go back and smoke, but i held off, actually went online and typed my days away, as long as I was typing, I couldn't smoke. And it really really helped.
Find an alternative. It's much easier if you find something to replace your need to smoke if the feelings get too strong. Feeling out of sorts is one way you are still withdrawing from the nicotine. It takes awhile to get completely clean of it.

The only thing you have to worry about after the 6month to 1 year mark or so, is the smoking dreams. As long as you only smoke in your dreams, you should be ok.
Good luck!
The smoking dreams are good. When I would wake up so upset that I smoked in a dream, I knew it was my minds way of telling me I never wanted to go back to it. Psychologists consider a dream about an addiction you quit as a sign of success.

Pinkstring is right, just wait it out and then you will have the rest of your life to enjoy being a non smoker and that is a great feeling.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:07 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,169,437 times
Congratulations. No need to feel depressed. You have done something many people have tried to do and failed. Pat yourself on the back and be proud.
My wife and I have smoked for many years and we decided it is time to quit. We are going to throw the cigs away tonight at midnight if there are any left. We tried it New Years and didn't get it accomplished.
You say you have had bouts of depression on and off in the past. I tend to think maybe cigarettes was a crutch you were using to help you through those times and now you that you have thrown that crutch away you feel like you dont have anything to prop you up during the down times.
Find another way of support when you need it. Exercise, read, make a favorite dish that you like, or try to take up a new hobby.
Something you might be interested in that you have never done before.
I hope my wife and I can make it for 3 months. We have tried before and went back to our bad habit. If we make it for as long as you have we will have won the battle.
You can LIVE without it. Be proud of yourself for resisting. Bury that crutch and stand on your own will.
PS- I might need to read this post again and pretend it is directed at me when I feel like I need encouragement.
I wish you the best.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:03 AM

Default thanks

Thanks to all of you for your words of support. 3 months is a milestone and I cant wait to say I have quit for six. I really do have faith that this time I have finally quit that smelly, gross, awful habit that is so highly addictive. Its just these mood swings, anxiety etc. that is hard for me. I don't think I am even craving the cigs. Robhu is probably correct saying that now without the cigs, I am alone with the thoughts of sadness I know I had while smoking. WOW. I have quite a battle ahead of me. I am also trying to balance out my meals, as to not gain too much weight.

For those of you trying to quit you may want to try my approach. The patch the minute you wake up for the first couple of days, say 5 or 6 days. After 5 days of not smoking you will feel powerful. Try not using the patch for one day and see how you feel. Thats what I did. If you get crazy, just throw the patch back on.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:27 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
Robhu wrote:
hope my wife and I can make it for 3 months.
IMO, you'll greatly enhance your chance of success if you stop hoping and make a decision to be smoke free. Hoping implies that you have no control of the outcome, when in fact it is totally up to you....only you! You can do it by deciding to do it. Intention carries far more power than mere hope.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:41 PM

601 posts, read 1,903,973 times
My husband and are using Chantix as a stop smoking aid. After taking it for 1 week we quit. It's been a week no smoke free!!!! No cravings , withdrawl. I think about it but it's only a fleeting thing and passes quickly. This is a great tool and I highly recommend it. I have not discovered the depression thing, but we are all different. Be proud of your accomplishment!!! Maybe going for a walk when you feel that way would help. Give it a try. Walking is a great way to exercise and reflect on things.

Last edited by daytripper; 03-24-2008 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: sp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health