Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 08:58 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times

Advertisements

Ontheroad, you're so right. I would never suggest that someone become a "lifer" for anti-depressants or anti-anxiety meds. I personally went through a traumatic event a little over three years ago. (not a divorce, but just as traumatic) I actually NEEDED something to keep me sane until I could get a hold of myself and see the simple pleasures in life again. IMHO~6 months to a year of meds just to help you survive can be a Godsend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 09:03 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
Jammie--glad you had the right drug for the right reasons. I've worked in the medical profession for more than 35 years--and somehow I think because of first-hand knowledge of the negative side-effects of many drugs, I've avoided them, and have not prescribed them to others. But, when they work, they do work.

I don't even like aspirin!

Old 06-03-2007, 09:48 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Jammie--glad you had the right drug for the right reasons. I've worked in the medical profession for more than 35 years--and somehow I think because of first-hand knowledge of the negative side-effects of many drugs, I've avoided them, and have not prescribed them to others. But, when they work, they do work.

I don't even like aspirin!
OMG, I don't like taking drugs either. One of the main side affects from the anti-depressants was weight gain. Supposedly it slows down your metabolism and also makes you hungry. But when I was on them and gained the weight, I earned every pound I gained. I was constantly hungry and eating. I've actually still got a few of those extra pounds with me and I'm trying desperately to get rid of them. But I don't regret taking them. My inner pain from the trauma is still here, but the meds got me through it so I could cope a bit.

Right now I'm supposed to be on muscle relaxants. They don't seem to help so I've ditched them. The only thing they do for me is make me lazy. (I have fibromyalgia) I know that I could go back to the Dr. and have him recommend a rhuematologist, but some of their meds are so hard on the liver. There are days that if a surgery would cure fibro, I'd opt for having it done. And I'm not a person who believes in surgery either UNLESS the pain is just not bearable. I just find it refreshing that someone in the medical profession isn't a pill pusher.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:13 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Actually weight gain is not a big deal for a clinically depressed person- food has no taste for me now- I hardly eat. major depression sometimes causes that.
I have never had bad side effects, on meds I sleep like a normal person, and wake up feeling normal if you never really had this- Believe me I would not wish it on a worst enemy.

sunny

Old 06-04-2007, 06:12 AM

1 posts, read 2,608 times
Lightbulb Finally the Truth about Stress and Anxiety Control Explained!

Hi

I have found a great site that sells downloadable "Health & Fitness" audio books by some of the leading Authors in the field. I have recently discovered the benefits of listening to Audio books as I have a 2 hour drive to get to work each day!.

You can also get a 10% discount off your first purchase by using this special code when you check out - 322944.

Here is the link directly to their "www.listen-here.com/list.aspx?catId=144" category

Hope you find the site as useful as I have, if so post back your comments.

Cheers

Godwill

Old 06-04-2007, 06:13 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
It may not work for everyone, and certainly not all medical conditions, but some--like depression--might be better treated by self-regulating solutions than drugs with serious side-effects. It is always difficult to predict who will and who won't have a side effect--like the weight gain issues for Jammie, or the lack of one for sunnyhelena.

When anyone decides in favour of a drug, they should be very vigilant and watch their own body's reactions, monitor and record these regularly and return to a physician for follow-up within a short period of time--2 weeks to 3 months.

I'll just stay my course; no drugs; ongoing low-grade depression and an occasional hawk or eagle that soars the the sky and lightens my path.

Old 06-04-2007, 03:04 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
My dogs have helped alot. They are like my children.

I dont do Wayne Dyer or motivational tapes anymore- lol- in fact the one M.D. /therapist that brought up Steven Covey/7 habits of successful people was quickly eliminated! I am trying to live with depression not "succeed in business". Too many quacks to wade through, sometimes.

sunny

Old 06-05-2007, 10:04 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,098,958 times
sunnyhelena,

Do you have someone to talk to? I know you said that your parents are no longer here and you are going through a divorce. That can be depressing in itself.

A long time ago, I went through a depression. I was in the 1994 Northridge earthquake and my apartment was destroyed. My office building, where I worked, was destroyed. A month before that, I broke up with someone and some of my friends were gone from that also.

So, "my" world in a split second was destroyed. Nothing at all was the same. I fell pretty hard. I sought out therapy and it totally changed my life. I was embarrassed to tell people I was talking to a therapist because I thought they would see me as weak or crazy or something (remember, this was 1994, times have changed, thankfully). But it really helped. I would recommend it to anyone in a heartbeat.

My therapist was great and it felt so good just to tell someone EVERYTHING and not be judged. She gave me some great advice too. My insurance ran out so that was the end of that but really for the short time I was with her, it really helped.

Sometimes we just need someone to talk to, I did and maybe you do too, right now.

Last edited by Roma; 06-05-2007 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: add

Old 06-05-2007, 12:31 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,529,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
Does anyone have any special way of dealing? Someimes writing, or reading a biography helps me- what else does everyone suggest?

sunny
I deal with sadness (depression) by just taking a walk or doing some sort of exercise. This helps a lot for me. Just take a "breather" from everything for just a few minutes and rethink what's going on. Then try to resolve it.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:54 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,017,296 times
Actually Folks I have been asked to participate in a study regarding anxiety locally here in Connecticut, this also includes taking a new medication for anxiety- trouble is I have to receive permission from my Doctor before terminating my present medication- for up to a month before participating in the trial of this new FDA approved drug.

Weight gain on anti depressants and anti anxiety drugs can lead to some extra pounds at first- best thing to do is have a daily exercise routine; and stay way from bad foods. Exercise in itself really helps- I go to the gym and socialize as well- which truly helps.

Gardening also relieves stress for me- and cooking is incredible therapy really.
Just make sure what you cook is healthy.

Feeling really much better this week actually; the issues of last week have been resolved. As I have said before the meds 'got me through' that tough period and I am feeling chipper again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health