Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 10:10 AM

14,462 posts, read 11,991,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I posted the original link and then Saibot did so apparently without reading through the thread first to see that it had already been posted in the thread. That's it.
By the way--should have said this already--I'm sorry for reposting your link. I truly had not seen it here before (it's hard to keep up with all these rapidly growing CV threads), but at least if more people saw it because it was posted twice, that's a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2020, 11:49 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,397,427 times
I have been wiping everything down with Clorox wipes before putting away. I usually save the plastic bags, but I throw them away now. I hope warm weather eradicates the coronavirus, but it seems to be living in Florida just fine.

Old 03-29-2020, 11:54 AM

20,713 posts, read 16,566,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I have been wiping everything down with Clorox wipes before putting away. I usually save the plastic bags, but I throw them away now. I hope warm weather eradicates the coronavirus, but it seems to be living in Florida just fine.
Some believe that all it takes is fresh air and sunshine to kill any bug!

Old 03-29-2020, 11:56 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,536 posts, read 6,363,116 times
I try to keep informed and take all the basic precautions but its hard to remember all those rules. Then there's those pesky other people out there wandering around. How do I know that one of them didn't sneak up behind me and silently snort on me in the Piggly Wiggly. And who knows what they've been touching on the shelves. If you live in a crowded place with more cases then you probably ARE at greater risk and you need to be more vigilant. I agree that there is a limit to what Im willing to do. I tend to be more of a fatalist. Im not pushing it but if its my time then its my time. I try to practice safe shopping. I wash my hands. A lot. I use hand sanitizer. I quarantine anything new that comes in. But I don't plan on stripping naked in the back yard to do a decontamination every time I venture out.

I quarantine my cans and anything else non perishable in my garage and in the extra fridge because Im lazy. If I bring things in the house then I have to disinfect more surfaces. JMO. The more you touch things and move stuff around the more chance there is of spreading stuff around. Again JMO. But if its been in the garage for a week its probably okay. Except for the stuff in the fridge. Some sites say cold doesn't kill it so I wipe that stuff down as I use. Those that don't have a garage maybe you could designate a space in the spare bedroom or the closet for new can stuff etc.

Old 03-29-2020, 12:09 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,536 posts, read 6,363,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
That line struck me too. Really stupid. Most of us are buying mostly non perishables anyway. And up here in VT, my garage is still cold enough for milk and eggs.
Me too but then I remembered that coffee incident from a while back. Now days you have to spell everything out just in case. Normal people with common sense know better.

Its a little chilly here too but not that cold. Perfect weather for yard work. So far I have all my beds cleaned out and all the branches picked up in the yard so I could mow. I got two skids of mulch put down in the beds. Next comes cleaning out the fence row. Lots of rain here so everything is bright green. Daffodils are exploding. The trees are getting ready to bloom. Hope we don't get a late cold snap.

Old 03-29-2020, 03:22 PM

1,184 posts, read 2,555,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
My goodness, mathjack, stop so being so calm and rational, we need to kick this panic up a bit.
Wow, I need to move to Queens. At Publix at 8 am, opening time, no TP, no napkins, no paper towels, very few eggs, sparse meat or fish, no Tide, no wipes of any description. Now if you wanted beer, wine or ice cream you were in luck. Neighbor brought me a pack of TP from WM. I won’t go there.

Old 03-29-2020, 03:29 PM

107,594 posts, read 110,215,608 times
We were at target yesterday ...no lines and nicely stocked ..we even got a large bottle of hand sanitizer.

Nothing shore farms which is a small chain by us on the order of Whole Foods had everything you could want except hand sanitizer..... my wife got a few cuts of meat and bones for the slow cooker ...they had all you want of everything

Old 03-29-2020, 04:20 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,878,716 times
I suspect we may get some paper goods next week. I waited until everyone had filled up their garage with TP before we go out and get them.

Old 03-29-2020, 05:52 PM

20,713 posts, read 16,566,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
We were at target yesterday ...no lines and nicely stocked ..we even got a large bottle of hand sanitizer.

Nothing shore farms which is a small chain by us on the order of Whole Foods had everything you could want except hand sanitizer..... my wife got a few cuts of meat and bones for the slow cooker ...they had all you want of everything
Nothing here...either not available locally, or not available to be shipped, and a very few items are available ONLY for pickup. NO hand sanitizer or wipes of any kind available. The list of unavailable items is huge.

I'm in a town of 100+k so not podunk and not a big city. But the same thing at Walmart and other grocery stores, whether online or brick/mortar.

Old 03-30-2020, 04:39 AM

989 posts, read 461,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Nothing here...either not available locally, or not available to be shipped, and a very few items are available ONLY for pickup. NO hand sanitizer or wipes of any kind available. The list of unavailable items is huge.

I'm in a town of 100+k so not podunk and not a big city. But the same thing at Walmart and other grocery stores, whether online or brick/mortar.
Same experience here. I'm about 20 miles outside of DC. Very large suburb. I haven't seen any of the items mentioned in 2-3 weeks. Although I did happen on to some TP a week ago, but nothing since. Daughter had to come down to take some of my TP because she hasn't found any in 3 weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement