Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2020, 04:39 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Not plain ammonia, but quaternary ammonium compounds. Plain ammonia does not kill viruses.

https://www.insider.com/does-ammonia...ms-and-viruses
THANK you! OMG, a Knowlegable Person! Bless you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2020, 04:50 PM

43,094 posts, read 18,259,632 times
Please people..don't end up poisoning yourselves in order to stay safe.

Old 04-02-2020, 05:04 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
I regretted putting banana in my other fridge, when I opened my fridge today it smelled ethylene, I had to quickly removed it from my fridge. Some apples will go bad, my husband threw one out last night, now I know why. No more, I will store them outside.

Old 04-02-2020, 05:29 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,177 times
The doctor who made the YouTube video about how to bring in your groceries juts posted an update.

The part about leaving your purchases in the garage for a few days does not apply to meats and produce. Just in case you were wondering.

Old 04-02-2020, 06:25 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
To the person who thought I was putting bleach on my food, nope, I'm definitely not doing that. I would never do that. But thank for the warning in case you thought I was doing it. It may have sounded that way when I said I didn't want to use bleach or hand sanitizer on my vegetables.

I can barely even stand the smell of bleach. I do use it to clean the toilet and I now keep a spray bottle of bleach water down in our entryway to spray the soles of shoes if one of us has been out in the world other than just for a walk in nature. (The shoes stay down there to dry until the next day.)

Old 04-02-2020, 07:23 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
First, nothing “kills” a virus, viruses are not alive. The agents we’re talking about damage the virus and make them inert. And I believe I said 3 parts alcohol : 1 part water, that is a 75% mix. Obviously if you start with already diluted alcohol the mix ratio changes. Alcohol in high concentrations evaporates too quickly to be effective. The best anti-viral for general use by ignorant people is soapy water.

You are right though, people in general are too stupid to make these decisions for themselves. We should trust only the “authorities”, folks with long and storied histories of keeping us safe from calamity.
Thanks for clarifying about straight alcohol evaporating too fast to be effective - that makes more sense!

Old 04-03-2020, 08:05 AM

43,094 posts, read 18,259,632 times
Alcohol is also a solvent so be mindful of what you are wiping down.

Old 04-03-2020, 01:18 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,340,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
First, nothing “kills” a virus, viruses are not alive. The agents we’re talking about damage the virus and make them inert. And I believe I said 3 parts alcohol : 1 part water, that is a 75% mix. Obviously if you start with already diluted alcohol the mix ratio changes. Alcohol in high concentrations evaporates too quickly to be effective. The best anti-viral for general use by ignorant people is soapy water.

You are right though, people in general are too stupid to make these decisions for themselves. We should trust only the “authorities”, folks with long and storied histories of keeping us safe from calamity.
There appears to be a sweet spot. The higher the alcohol content the faster the virus disintegrates (and the less time the sanitizer need remain wet on your hands) but 100 alcohol is not effective. Sterillium Comfort Gel Hand (used frequently in hospital settings) contains 85 percent ethyl alcohol. According to this source:

"Most alcohol-based hand antiseptics contain isopropanol, ethanol, n-propanol, or a combination of 2 of these products. The antimicrobial activity of alcohols can be attributed to their ability to denature and coagulate proteins. The microorganism’s cells are then lysed, and their cellular metabolism is disrupted. Alcohol solutions containing 60% to 95% alcohol are most effective. Notably, higher concentrations are less potent because proteins are not denatured easily in the absence of water. "
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK513254/

There are also studies comparing the impact that different alcohols and various concentrations have on bacteria and on enveloped viruses (that includes SARS-CoV-2) and on unenveloped viruses.

For an enveloped virus, around 75 percent isopropyl alcohol or 80 percent ethyl alcohol (ethanol) might be optimal for hands but then I'm no expert. With the lockdowns, we're not going out and so actually aren't using hand sanitizer. But if you've returned from a high-risk locale scrubbing your hands with soap and water followed by a rubbing alcohol spritz and then hand lotion wouldn't hurt.
https://www.journalofhospitalinfecti...046-3/fulltext

The advantage of using a bleach solution or alcohol to spritz food wrappings is that it works differently than soap and water - where you really should scrub to destroy the viral envelope. That said, for fresh produce there may be no choice other than soap that lathers. Vinegar is not effective.

As for the poster who transferred food to a clean bag, I assume she did it using gloves with a sterile transfer. That sounds fine to me, and it's what we do. It is easier to accomplish with two sets of hands.

Each commercial cleaning solution (and, separately, Clorox or alcohol) has its own wet surface contact time that can be researched on the internet.

Last edited by EveryLady; 04-03-2020 at 01:42 PM..

Old 04-03-2020, 03:11 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,533,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
To the person who thought I was putting bleach on my food, nope, I'm definitely not doing that. I would never do that. But thank for the warning in case you thought I was doing it. It may have sounded that way when I said I didn't want to use bleach or hand sanitizer on my vegetables.

I can barely even stand the smell of bleach. I do use it to clean the toilet and I now keep a spray bottle of bleach water down in our entryway to spray the soles of shoes if one of us has been out in the world other than just for a walk in nature. (The shoes stay down there to dry until the next day.)
Bleach has a very short half life. Mixed 1:9, 10% bleach, will last about a day. To last a week will need to be 1:4, 20%. The spray bottle will be useless past a week at 20%.

Old 04-03-2020, 05:17 PM

18,082 posts, read 15,670,593 times
Spray bottle with 15 - 20% Bleach + water and spraying bottom of shoes outside and let dry is very good. In fact that's what breeders have any visitors to their home do, to prevent any pups from getting Parvo, which is a fatal virus. When I got my pup, many years ago, I used the same tactic (bleach + water spray on soles of shoes), shoes left in garage to dry, until my pup had gotten all 4 rounds of shots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement