Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2022, 09:23 AM

18,270 posts, read 17,091,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
LOL — I find Thrill’s anger, hostility, victim-mentality, and sense of betrayal and obsession with Christianity an exciting sign he’s going through a huge spiritual quest and journey., but just doesn’t know it yet.

SPOILER—-I am the exact opposite of an atheist, so because I believe we are here to find and know God — (however that manifests itself ) and our life experiences are in the service of our spiritual growth — I have great hope forThrill and where all this anger, victimhood, and self-riteousness inquiry eventually takes him !
Bring on the popcorn….

A saying I’ve heard before seems to fit here for Thrill:
“God changes caterpillars into butterflies, sand into pearls, and coal into diamonds using time and pressure. He’s working on you too.”

I don't want you to get your hopes up, rose. I will say straightforwardly that there isn't a snowball's chance in hell I'll ever return to religion, particularly Christianity. I find no evidence of the supernatural in this world. And I find Christianity to be an especially pernicious institution that people not involved with it should steer clear of. Christianity may have started out as a fairly benign idea but it quickly got corrupted to its core when powerful evil men stepped in to hijack it to conform to what benefited them and not the people. Christianity never had truthful doctrine. From the very start these evil men lied about Jesus, they lied about the apostles, they presented a completely false narrative with this poisonous doctrine of "No man comes to the father but through me", as if they alone had all the answers and everyone else was destined for hell. It was nothing but a bludgeon to force people to join their institution or be murdered or burn in hell for eternity. Any religion that operates on a doctrine like that doesn't deserve to exist, and in my opinion people like the members of the Westboro Baptist in Kansas are deranged.

So people shouldn't be confused about why I post what I post. I am bitter, sure about throwing my life away on Christianity but that's superfluous. What's most important is that gullible greenhorns who are looking for some spiritual guidance not get sucked into Christianity's web and be transformed from good people into warped fanatics. I've seen my share of happy normal-thinking people go into Christianity and end up becoming self-righteous moral monsters like the nutjobs at Westboro. I wouldn't wish that corruption on my worst enemy.

Christianity all around is bad news--BAD NEWS. Normal people not committed to it should steer as far clear of it as they can. THAT'S WHY I post what I post. Nobody with a conscious would let someone sniffing around a cup of hemlock drink it without warning them of the cup's contents. If the people still want to drink it that's their choice but they should know how they're likely going to turn out once Christianity gets its hooks into them. I just want the lurkers to know they are getting into quicksand joining Christianity. If they want to bury themselves alive in it that's their choice but not until they have heard both sides of the story--not just the one-sided surgery icing coating a pie made of arsenic that church leaders try to feed them.

Last edited by thrillobyte; 11-19-2022 at 10:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2022, 06:33 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,722,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I don't want you to get your hopes up, rose. I will say straightforwardly that there isn't a snowball's chance in hell I'll ever return to religion, particularly Christianity. I find no evidence of the supernatural in this world. And I find Christianity to be an especially pernicious institution that people not involved with it should steer clear of. Christianity may have started out as a fairly benign idea but it quickly got corrupted to its core when powerful evil men stepped in to hijack it to conform to what benefited them and not the people. Christianity never had truthful doctrine. From the very start these evil men lied about Jesus, they lied about the apostles, they presented a completely false narrative with this poisonous doctrine of "No man comes to the father but through me", as if they alone had all the answers and everyone else was destined for hell. It was nothing but a bludgeon to force people to join their institution or be murdered or burn in hell for eternity. Any religion that operates on a doctrine like that doesn't deserve to exist, and in my opinion people like the members of the Westboro Baptist in Kansas are deranged.

So people shouldn't be confused about why I post what I post. I am bitter, sure about throwing my life away on Christianity but that's superfluous. What's most important is that gullible greenhorns who are looking for some spiritual guidance not get sucked into Christianity's web and be transformed from good people into warped fanatics. I've seen my share of happy normal-thinking people go into Christianity and end up becoming self-righteous moral monsters like the nutjobs at Westboro. I wouldn't wish that corruption on my worst enemy.

Christianity all around is bad news--BAD NEWS. Normal people not committed to it should steer as far clear of it as they can. THAT'S WHY I post what I post. Nobody with a conscious would let someone sniffing around a cup of hemlock drink it without warning them of the cup's contents. If the people still want to drink it that's their choice but they should know how they're likely going to turn out once Christianity gets its hooks into them. I just want the lurkers to know they are getting into quicksand joining Christianity. If they want to bury themselves alive in it that's their choice but not until they have heard both sides of the story--not just the one-sided surgery icing coating a pie made of arsenic that church leaders try to feed them.
I'm surprised that you do not relate better to the Westboro Bap Crew...you are just like them. Only worse.
Your relentless "warning" of others (for their own good), and insults (refer to the Theology as a poison and the Adherents as warped nutjobs, etc) is EXACTLY the way they conduct themselves. Though they are not quite as dedicated as you.

Old 11-21-2022, 08:10 AM

13,946 posts, read 8,253,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Clement of Rome appeared to get his information about Jesus from the OT.
Quote:
Exactly. A study of his writings reveals he had no familiarity with any of the apostles, certainly not John who would have been exiled at Patmos if he were real.
Tell me you've never studied his "writings" without telling me you've never studied his "writings"...

Clement names both Peter and Paul in his letter to the Corinthians and uses the term "Apostles" generally multiple times.

Since Clement was a Roman, it makes sense that he would have learned the Faith from the Apostles to Rome, Peter and Paul.

Both Tertullian and Jerome claim that Clement was a disciple of Peter.

Old 11-21-2022, 08:42 AM

16,928 posts, read 5,126,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Tell me you've never studied his "writings" without telling me you've never studied his "writings"...

Clement names both Peter and Paul in his letter to the Corinthians and uses the term "Apostles" generally multiple times.

Since Clement was a Roman, it makes sense that he would have learned the Faith from the Apostles to Rome, Peter and Paul.
I agree it is a possibility (although when listing the people in Rome, it is curious that Paul does not mention Peter). But then Paul also does not appear to know of a historical Jesus, just one revealed in scripture, and where Jesus talks through long dead prophets, just as Clement does.

And if 1 Peter is genuine, he too does not show clear knowledge of an earthly Jesus, just another OT quote about Jesus suffering.

Quote:
At a much later time, when there were a lot of claims about apostles being invented. But even if they are correct, that does not effect my argument.

Old 11-21-2022, 08:56 AM

Quote:

I see Paul mentioned twice. I see no mention of Peter. I see no apostles by name. I see no "12 apostles" I see a few mentions of "the apostles".

Old 11-21-2022, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I'm surprised that you do not relate better to the Westboro Bap Crew...you are just like them. Only worse.
Your relentless "warning" of others (for their own good), and insults (refer to the Theology as a poison and the Adherents as warped nutjobs, etc) is EXACTLY the way they conduct themselves. Though they are not quite as dedicated as you.

Shut me up once and for all, Gldn:

Tell us the the name of a single secular historian who mentions the name "Jesus of Nazareth" in the 1st century that isn't controversial or questioned and I give my word I will not post part 2 of this topic.

Old 11-21-2022, 09:19 AM

Quote:
I see Paul mentioned twice. I see no mention of Peter. I see no apostles by name. I see no "12 apostles" I see a few mentions of "the apostles".
He names Peter (Cephas) twice, 5:4 and 47:3.

Old 11-21-2022, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
I agree it is a possibility (although when listing the people in Rome, it is curious that Paul does not mention Peter).
Peter may have still been in Antioch when Paul wrote that particular letter.

Old 11-21-2022, 09:36 AM

Quote:
He names Peter (Cephas) twice, 5:4 and 47:3.

Okay, no mention of the 12 which are the ones I was specifically referring to though.

Old 11-21-2022, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Okay, no mention of the 12 which are the ones I was specifically referring to though.
Peter was one of the twelve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality