Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2022, 03:09 PM

13,619 posts, read 7,936,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
What's a JW?
Jehovah's Witness.

Your "144,000" remark seemed to be a dead giveaway; but if my assumption was incorrect I do apologize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2022, 03:16 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
The OP clearly and obviously shows day-in and day-out that he's only interested in toying with and annoying people.

He has no way to confirm the non-existence of Jesus, but he certainly has the ability to irritate people. And many are taking the bait. But it's very easy to see what he's about.
But, of course, those people who are terribly irritated by his rants could choose not to enter the thread. I wish christianity was that easy to avoid.

Old 11-18-2022, 03:21 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Clement was from Rome. Ignatius was from Antioch. Polycarp was from Smyrna. Papias was from Hierapolis. They were not in close contact with each other and are only associated with each other due to all belonging to the same catholic communion. And yet they all believed the same Faith.

Who did they learn the Faith from?

Mike, the Church fathers were all within the Roman empire just as the progenitors of Hinduism were all within the Indian empire. Everybody associated with their respective faiths would have communicated with each other in exactly the same way: by messengers. Numerous people had to assemble the Veda just as numerous people had to assemble the Bible.

Quote:
So what? There are elements of Christian doctrine that are not fully established to this day.

You're right. And there are arguments within Hinduism just as there are arguments among Christians.

Quote:
Really? Then why hasn't Hinduism "grown" or "flourished" virtually anywhere outside the Indian subcontinent?

Also, Hinduism has no organizational structure for establishing objective standards of belief/practice or proselytizing.

Hinduism HAS grown and flourished. There are over a billion adherents to Hinduism today. Do you think there were that many 1000 years ago? It didn't have the size and scope of Christianity's growth simply because the Indian empire wasn't as massive as the Roman empire. Why didn't it grow outside India? Because India wasn't on a quest to Hinduize the entire world the way Christianity was, or it likely would have.

Old 11-18-2022, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I wish christianity was that easy to avoid.
Thanks to the indelible mark on your soul that you received at your Christian baptism, Christianity will "haunt" you for literally an eternity. You do have a choice.

Old 11-18-2022, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Mike, the Church fathers were all within the Roman empire just as the progenitors of Hinduism were all within the Indian empire. Everybody associated with their respective faiths would have communicated with each other in exactly the same way: by messengers.
But I asked who the folks you named learned the Faith from.

Quote:
Hinduism HAS grown and flourished. There are over a billion adherents to Hinduism today. Do you think there were that many 1000 years ago? It didn't have the size and scope of Christianity's growth simply because the Indian empire wasn't as massive as the Roman empire. Why didn't it grow outside India? Because India wasn't on a quest to Hinduize the entire world the way Christianity was, or it likely would have.
But you're the one who said "It can be easily established that the exact same dynamics that caused Christianity to grow and flourish occurred in Hinduism." You have just proven your own assertion false.

The dynamics have clearly been very different.

Old 11-18-2022, 03:48 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times
Quote:
Mike, the Church fathers were all within the Roman empire just as the progenitors of Hinduism were all within the Indian empire. Everybody associated with their respective faiths would have communicated with each other in exactly the same way: by messengers. Numerous people had to assemble the Veda just as numerous people had to assemble the Bible.
Hey Thrill Still will not let me rep you but...

Have you ever thought of this: had the Egyptians overthrown the Romans, or even infused themselves into Rome during the final days of Rome, we might be instead discussing whether or not Osiris really assimilates our souls at death and whether it was disrespectful for non-believers to wear the eye of Horus in jewelry?
And when something gets broken, saying What the Horus-&@^# us going on!? !?

Some will say that Isis never existed, but countless Egyptians of the times claimed to see and feel her presence in the temple.

Things could have turned out differently ......

But your point is well received. Outside of a few broken manuscripts and hieroglyphics, we have no evidence that Osiris and Horus actually existed. And as stories between writers (scribes) and such changed over time, we see evidence more of a historical fiction with pure myth behind it but no evidence that such actual being real creatures.

Old 11-18-2022, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post

Have you ever thought of this: had the Egyptians overthrown the Romans, or even infused themselves into Rome during the final days of Rome, we might be instead discussing whether or not Osiris really assimilates our souls at death and whether it was disrespectful for non-believers to wear the eye of Horus in jewelry?

Some will say that Isis never existed, but countless Egyptians of the times claimed to see and feel her presence in the temple.

But your point is well received. Outside of a few broken manuscripts and hieroglyphics, we have no evidence that Osiris and Horus actually existed. And as stories between writers (scribes) and such changed over time, we see evidence more of a historical fiction with pure myth behind it but no evidence that such actual being real creatures.
Both Egypt and Rome served God's purposes.

When the Egyptians claimed to see and feel Isis in the temple, I believe them.

Thank God we no longer have to be slaves to demons, though many of us still choose that option voluntarily.

Old 11-18-2022, 04:56 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Thanks to the indelible mark on your soul that you received at your Christian baptism, Christianity will "haunt" you for literally an eternity. You do have a choice.
baloney. it's just water out of the tap

Old 11-18-2022, 06:04 PM

Quote:
But I asked who the folks you named learned the Faith from.

But you're the one who said "It can be easily established that the exact same dynamics that caused Christianity to grow and flourish occurred in Hinduism." You have just proven your own assertion false.

The dynamics have clearly been very different.

You're trying to work it back to Jesus and the apostles, Mike but like I said we have no historical evidence of Jesus and the apostles because they didn't write anything. We have historical evidence of the men I named because we have their writings. Rumors swirled around the empire after the destruction of Jerusalem of a man-god similar to a dozen others--Dionysus, Mithra, Romulus, Moses, Osiris, etc. that contained all the elements in their mythology that Jesus had. Over a period of time extending roughly similarly to the end of WW2 to the present, all these rumors and stories of a new man-god started getting passed around in the exact same way rumors of Hercules started getting passed around hundreds of years earlier. A hundred years later Hercules is having stories written about him by historians detailing his birth to a virgin impregnated by Jupiter and his resurrection and ascension to Olympus. It's all connected, Mike. It's called Hellenized syncretism.

"From Hellenism - the syncretism of Judaism, Greek culture and philosophy, and elements of Egyptian culture we produced Christianity."

https://www.astrapace.com/mji4ophp/h...n-christianity

Old 11-18-2022, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post

Hi Cat. And I still cannot rep you. It's like you give one rep to someone and are forever barred from giving that person a rep again. But thank you for your last post which I meant to reply to but so much is going on here.

Precious little on Jesus had been set in stone until the Council of Nicaea far as I can tell. The gospels were in circulation shortly before this but we have no surviving copies until the Codex Sinaiticus of the Council. Had Constantine chosen Mithra for his Roman empire god we'd all be discussing the size of knife Mithra used to stab the bull. But it's all bull far as I'm concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality