Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2022, 02:30 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,662,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
In essence you have defined faith, "the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
No he hasn't.
He has for those who can relate to Hebrew 11:1, re recorded in about the 3rd Century A.D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2022, 02:32 PM

13,946 posts, read 8,253,359 times
Quote:
He has for those who can relate to Hebrew 11:1, re recorded in about the 3rd Century A.D.
I know all about Hebrews 11, and what thrill said has nothing to do with what the author of Hebrews was talking about.

Old 11-18-2022, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
But you believe these spiritual entities that were manifested were evil demons of the Christian type from Satan's minions, right?
Quote:
I believe Psalm 95:5 which says that "the gods of the Gentiles are devils".
" ... but the Lord made the heavens." For 144,000.

Old 11-18-2022, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I know all about Hebrews 11, and what thrill said has nothing to do with what the author of Hebrews was talking about.
" ... faith in a divine being for which there is no evidence either ever existed. (thrill posted)

Seems to me that reconciles with Hebrew 11:1

Old 11-18-2022, 02:38 PM
Status: "BAGA - Be a Great American: Expose far-right lies daily" (set 15 days ago)

11,342 posts, read 7,392,178 times
The OP clearly and obviously shows day-in and day-out that he's only interested in toying with and annoying people.

He has no way to confirm the non-existence of Jesus, but he certainly has the ability to irritate people. And many are taking the bait. But it's very easy to see what he's about.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 11-18-2022 at 03:04 PM..

Old 11-18-2022, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Thank you for letting me know that you're a JW so that I can place you on ignore before wasting any more time with you

All the best to you!

Old 11-18-2022, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you for letting me know that you're a JW so that I can place you on ignore before wasting any more time with you

All the best to you!
What's a JW? btw: you quoted only part of psalms 95:5 and you'll call me a name for quoting Revelation 7:4
in response to whom you describe as a devil.

We should ignore each other, we won't learn anything from each other not doing it this way, that's for sure.

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 11-18-2022 at 02:52 PM..

Old 11-18-2022, 02:46 PM

18,270 posts, read 17,091,955 times
Quote:
I don't think one could properly say that Hinduism was "founded" by anybody, since it's not a structured thing. One could say that somebody first established the basic ideas and concepts.

I would say that the fact that religion and faith are endemic to humanity is evidence that more exists than what we can see in the natural world.

Since I do believe in the Resurrection of Christ, that guiding principle causes me to view non-Christian religions in a particular way.

There is definitely something to the cultural hegemony / inertia factor, but that in and of itself doesn't mean that any particular belief system is necessarily true or false.

I hear a lot--I mean a LOT of rationalization going on here to try to legitimatize your faith while delegitimizing another faith based on belief and nothing else.

I would say even Christianity was not "founded" by anybody, certainly not Jesus since there isn't a bit of secular evidence Jesus existed just like there isn't a bit of secular evidence Krishna existed. All the evidence for Jesus existing is found in the Bible just as all the evidence for Krishna existing is found in the Veda.

People associated with Christianity--Clement, Ignatius, Polycarp and Papias first established the basic ideas and concepts that governed early Christianity. Christianity wasn't structured at first either. The faith grew and evolved as time passed as Justin Martyr and Irenaeus and Tertullian entered the scene. Christian doctrine of the trinity and the godhood of Christ didn't become fully established until the Council of Nicaea in 325. It can be easily established that the exact same dynamics that caused Christianity to grow and flourish occurred in Hinduism.

Last edited by thrillobyte; 11-18-2022 at 03:10 PM..

Old 11-18-2022, 03:04 PM

Quote:
People associated with Christianity--Clement, Ignatius, Polycarp and Papias first established the basic ideas and concepts that governed early Christianity. Christianity wasn't structured at first either. The faith grew and evolved as time passed as Justin Martyr and Irenaeus and Tertullian entered the scene.
Clement was from Rome. Ignatius was from Antioch. Polycarp was from Smyrna. Papias was from Hierapolis. They were not in close contact with each other and are only associated with each other due to all belonging to the same catholic communion. And yet they all believed the same Faith.

Who did they learn the Faith from?

Quote:
Christian doctrine of the trinity and the godhood of Christ didn't become fully established until the Council of Nicaea in 325.
So what? There are elements of Christian doctrine that are not fully established to this day.

Quote:
It can be easily established that the exact same dynamics that caused Christianity to grow and flourish occurred in Hinduism.
Really? Then why hasn't Hinduism "grown" or "flourished" virtually anywhere outside the Indian subcontinent?

Also, Hinduism has no organizational structure for establishing objective standards of belief/practice or proselytizing.

Old 11-18-2022, 03:05 PM

Quote:
I hear a lot--I mean a LOT of rationalization going on here to try to legitimatize your faith while delegitimizing another faith based on belief and nothing else.

I would say even Christianity was not "founded" by anybody, certainly not Jesus since there isn't a bit of secular evidence Jesus existed just like there isn't a bit of secular evidence Krishna existed. All the evidence for Jesus existing is found in the Bible just all the evidence for Krishna existing is found in the Veda.

People associated with Christianity--Clement, Ignatius, Polycarp and Papias first established the basic ideas and concepts that governed early Christianity. Christianity wasn't structured at first either. The faith grew and evolved as time passed as Justin Martyr and Irenaeus and Tertullian entered the scene. Christian doctrine of the trinity and the godhood of Christ didn't become fully established until the Council of Nicaea in 325. It can be easily established that the exact same dynamics that caused Christianity to grow and flourish occurred in Hinduism.
The criteria for Jesus to exist is if a government secular historian recorded an event including a man named Jesus Christ. (I believed I named a couple, you swatted away for whatever reason) But your criteria is a tall order given to the nature of the culture of the first 30 years (1 century B.C.) I suspect you know this ...

My father told me stories of his upbringing when he was young. None of which is documented in any history book. I'm guess if I'm to follow your criteria for all things real I should be a skeptic of my father's words and if he told me the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality