Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2022, 09:41 AM

16,774 posts, read 4,979,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Harry, it is a good article, and it contains 233 references, 35 sources, and 2 external links.
But does that mean Jesus definitely existed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2022, 09:48 AM

16,774 posts, read 4,979,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
It's a very good article.
Virtually all scholars of antiquity agree that Jesus existed.[7][8][30] Historian Michael Grant asserts that if conventional standards of historical criticism are applied to the New Testament, "we can no more reject Jesus' existence than we can reject the existence of a mass of pagan personages whose reality as historical figures is never questioned."[31] There is no indication that writers in antiquity who opposed Christianity questioned the existence of Jesus.[32][33]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_Jesus
Except people are not using conventional standards of historical criticism. Also, there is indication that some people questioned the existence of Jesus. An example is 2 Peter, which is arguing against a sect of Christians who did just that.

Old 11-26-2022, 11:01 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
But does that mean Jesus definitely existed?
Did you read the article?

Old 11-26-2022, 11:18 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Except people are not using conventional standards of historical criticism. Also, there is indication that some people questioned the existence of Jesus. An example is 2 Peter, which is arguing against a sect of Christians who did just that.
Actual historians who do Jesus studies are.

And 2 Peter which refers to Jesus as our Lord and Savior is not questioning the existence of Jesus. Perhaps you meant 2 John in which the writer of that short epistle is arguing against those who did not acknowledge Jesus as coming in the flesh. They didn't deny the existence of Jesus, they just denied that he was truly human while acknowledging his deity or divinity.

Old 11-26-2022, 11:54 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I believe Psalm 95:5 which says that "the gods of the Gentiles are devils".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
" ... but the Lord made the heavens." For 144,000.
Quote:
Thank you for letting me know that you're a JW so that I can place you on ignore before wasting any more time with you

All the best to you!
Quote:
What's a JW?
Quote:
Jehovah's Witness.

Your "144,000" remark seemed to be a dead giveaway; but if my assumption was incorrect I do apologize.
by quoting Revelation 7:4 ?

When I was 18 it was brought to my attention that there may come a day where I may be asked if I were a Christian. After giving that much thought I decided my answer would have to be, 'define Christian first, then I'll let you know if it applies'. Christ was sent to deliver 'all' of humanity; not just an elite group.

We have the words of King David concerning non-Jews (what you brought up) and by the end as the book goes we have (my response) John's Revelation --- unless applied appropriately one is just as disconcerting as the other.

Old 11-26-2022, 11:59 AM

2,071 posts, read 2,162,488 times
Quote:
Actual historians who do Jesus studies are.

And 2 Peter which refers to Jesus as our Lord and Savior is not questioning the existence of Jesus. Perhaps you meant 2 John in which the writer of that short epistle is arguing against those who did not acknowledge Jesus as coming in the flesh. They didn't deny the existence of Jesus, they just denied that he was truly human while acknowledging his deity or divinity.
Here's a little bit of what Jesus wrote through Mr. Padgett on June 7, 1915:

"I was not born with the knowledge that I was the son of God sent to earth to teach these great truths, or to announce to mankind the re-bestowal of the great gift of immortality, and the means of acquiring it. But this knowledge of my mission came to me after I became a man and had the frequent communions with God by my spiritual senses.

I was never in the presence of the Jewish priests, expounding to them the law and asking questions when about twelve years of age, as stated in the Bible, and not before my first appearance - after I became a man - did I attempt to show priest or layman that I was the messenger of the Father, and sent by Him to proclaim the glad tidings of immortality restored and of the Great Love of the Father (Divine Love), which was necessary to make all men at-one with Him and to give them a home in His Kingdom.

I never was a sinful boy or man and did not know what sin was in my heart; and strange as it may seem, I never sought to teach others these truths until after my mission was declared by John the Baptist.

In my boyhood days, I was the same as other boys and engaged in the plays of childhood and had the feelings of a child and never thought I was anything else than a child. In no wise way was I different from other children, except in the particular that l have named, and any account of me to the contrary is untrue."

Description of Birth and Life of Jesus up to the Time of His Public Ministry

Old 11-26-2022, 12:08 PM

Quote:
The criteria for Jesus to exist is if a government secular historian recorded an event including a man named Jesus Christ. (I believed I named a couple, you swatted away for whatever reason) But your criteria is a tall order given to the nature of the culture of the first 30 years (1 century B.C.) I suspect you know this ...

My father told me stories of his upbringing when he was young. None of which is documented in any history book. I'm guess if I'm to follow your criteria for all things real I should be a skeptic of my father's words and if he told me the truth.
Quote:
I do not know which historians you named, but they would not have been swatted away for no reason. The evidence really is that bad.

For Jesus as a mere mortal, yes. Jesus as a miracle performing wonder worker would have been recorded, especially as we have writers like Pliny the Elder searching for stories of miracles, and Justus of Tiberias focusing on the area Jesus was meant to have done his miracles.
Quote:
I do not know which historians you named, but they would not have been swatted away for no reason. The evidence really is that bad.
Here is what I found; here is where it was swatted.

Quote:
For Jesus as a mere mortal, yes. Jesus as a miracle performing wonder worker would have been recorded, especially as we have writers like Pliny the Elder searching for stories of miracles, and Justus of Tiberias focusing on the area Jesus was meant to have done his miracles.
First you'd have to find when and where the miracles were being preformed, then locate the nearest 'secular' historian. (no one began putting stories to papyrus until 30 - 60 years after Christ's death and resurrection)

I was reading a story on Yemen a few years back and in the article some locals told in their area there was no sign of the war. In fact they said, if they hadn't been made aware of it by people talking about it, they wouldn't know it was happening.

Old 11-26-2022, 12:10 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
Here's a little bit of what Jesus wrote through Mr. Padgett on June 7, 1915:

"I was not born with the knowledge that I was the son of God sent to earth to teach these great truths, or to announce to mankind the re-bestowal of the great gift of immortality, and the means of acquiring it. But this knowledge of my mission came to me after I became a man and had the frequent communions with God by my spiritual senses.

I was never in the presence of the Jewish priests, expounding to them the law and asking questions when about twelve years of age, as stated in the Bible, and not before my first appearance - after I became a man - did I attempt to show priest or layman that I was the messenger of the Father, and sent by Him to proclaim the glad tidings of immortality restored and of the Great Love of the Father (Divine Love), which was necessary to make all men at-one with Him and to give them a home in His Kingdom.

I never was a sinful boy or man and did not know what sin was in my heart; and strange as it may seem, I never sought to teach others these truths until after my mission was declared by John the Baptist.

In my boyhood days, I was the same as other boys and engaged in the plays of childhood and had the feelings of a child and never thought I was anything else than a child. In no wise way was I different from other children, except in the particular that l have named, and any account of me to the contrary is untrue."

Description of Birth and Life of Jesus up to the Time of His Public Ministry
I'm one of those who will, and have long ago told you, that what you believe to have been messages from Jesus to Padgett were either demonic impersonations of Jesus or deceptions on the part of Padgett. People believe all kinds of things.

Old 11-26-2022, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Tell us the the name of a single secular historian who mentions the name "Jesus of Nazareth" in the 1st century that isn't controversial or questioned and I give my word I will not post part 2 of this topic.
Flavius Josephus but then since everything is controversial, I look forward to part II.

Old 11-26-2022, 12:26 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,162,488 times
Quote:
I'm one of those who will, and have long ago told you, that what you believe to have been messages from Jesus to Padgett were either demonic impersonations of Jesus or deceptions on the part of Padgett. People believe all kinds of things.
Ha! One day, I'll look you up in the next world and we'll compare notes.

I don't think a demon would write about Divine Love, because they don't have a clue what it is.

The Divine Love of God
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality