Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2022, 03:18 PM

50,777 posts, read 24,277,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post

Well where do you think the Bible came from? Did it fall out of the sky?

The Bible is a product of the Church, compiled in order to serve the Church.

This historical statement is akin to idolatry of the Church to you? Interesting.

And if I were a sola scriptura evangelical who claimed that the Bible is the only rule of faith and not any church, I wonder if you would accuse me of idolizing the Bible instead of worshipping Jesus...

You didn't answer (b) though. Where is your evidence that I don't worship Jesus?
There, you're saying it again -- that the bible is a servant of the church.

Wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2022, 03:20 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,918,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
There, you're saying it again -- that the bible is a servant of the church.

Wrong.
1) Why is that wrong?

2) You're not even a practicing Christian. By what authority do you instruct me on what the Bible is for?

Old 11-29-2022, 03:36 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,590,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
God sent His Son for 'all' of humanity --- not just an elite group.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Well some Christian groups, notably Calvinists, would disagree on that one too.
You're right, but ... "There are more than 45,000 denominations globally." Each one believe they are the only ones going to Heaven. However, "God sent His Son into the 'world', so that the 'world' might be saved".

If people's prejudices are carried with them into the next life, then there will be no difference in the hereafter, than it is in this life.

Old 11-29-2022, 03:42 PM

Quote:
All migrating out of Africa.
Quote:
What has that got to do with the discussion?

Oh I know...it's called grasping at straws.
No, it's called knowing the people that lived 10,000 years ago, didn't have the (sovereignty) freedoms, nor the education, this discussion seems to think they had. Before language in written form, the stories (their history) were drawn on cave walls --- were they lies?

Old 11-29-2022, 03:49 PM

Quote:
God sent His Son for 'all' of humanity --- not just an elite group.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
In the Old Testament Yahweh consistently refers to the Israelites as "My people".
Yep, without the Christ Child, we have the Jews and Islamist left, with every one not them condemned to Hell. Christ was sent by God to free the peoples of the world from condemnation.

Old 11-29-2022, 03:49 PM

Quote:
No; the Catholic Church is not Jesus. However, the Church is the primary means by which and through which we can know Jesus. She is His Bride and His Kingdom on earth.

How can one truly know Jesus outside the context of His Church?

When I go to mass and present my body as a living sacrifice to God, along with the perfect sacrifice offered up to God by the Priest under the appearances of bread and wine, what am I doing then if not worshipping Jesus?
Sacrifice? What's the sacrifice that you have given by going to church for 40 minutes?

Old 11-29-2022, 03:53 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,918,254 times
Quote:
Sacrifice? What's the sacrifice that you have given by going to church for 40 minutes?
Going to church is not necessarily the sacrifice, though it could be.

The act of sacrifice is an act of the will, a conscious submission to the Will of God to the point of death; a willingness to suffer and die, to take up my cross and walk the road to crucifixion alongside my Savior.

Old 11-29-2022, 04:06 PM

Quote:

The act of sacrifice is an act of the will, a conscious submission to the Will of God to the point of death; a willingness to suffer and die, to take up my cross and walk the road to crucifixion alongside my Savior.
I'll believe you're willing to be crucified when I see it.

"Are ye able said the master to be crucified with me..." Typically the answer is far from yes.

Old 11-29-2022, 04:39 PM

Quote:
You read that on the internet and you believed them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
And in books, and actually reading Philo (and Eusebius, and Tacitus, and Suetonius). It is irrelevant where I read things, it is still a fact that we have no record of any 3 hour long darkness at noon, zombies being resurrected, usw.
Quote:
Have they found Philo, Justus of Tiberius or Pliny the Elder's bodies?
Quote:
No, but we know they wrote things. We can actually read some of what they wrote.
Well when you find their diaries, you let me know if it reconciles, with people's opinions on the Internet. btw: you might need a library card for that. If you don't know what that is, google it. As for as the three hour long darkness, if a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear, does it still make a sound. The answer is yes, obviously, because sound is real --- yet the person who recorded the sound is doubted that, the tree falling made a sound, because they were not in the vicinity of the tree when it fell.

And while you search for proof of a solar eclipse, what? 7000 years ago, just know the asteroid hitting earth and wiping out all life, for science, that's still a theory, because they don't know.
Quote:
Wow, Israel really needs to give up their land huh ...
Quote:
Okay I love archeology, you know how they discover the mysteries of ancient civilizations. Several years ago I was listening to Mark Levin on my car radio. Mark was in Israel (if I go to his website or YouTube, I'd probably find the segment) and he interviewed several people. Anyway he (some high up in the ranks) talked about how archeologist will skew their findings ---

The Bible begins with the promise land (Israel) and ends with the fall of Rome (Revelations). And you're asking me, while you are sitting in the heart of where Rome use to be, how I can believe what they wrote in the Bible? Without God, there is no inspiration to lead people to the promise land --- without the writing of the events, people won't know the history of how nations were formed. Without that, let's just say those with a vested interest would love it.

Inspired Exhibit of Biblical Artifacts Visits Hong Kong

"The doors opened at St. Andrew’s Church in the heart of Hong Kong on March 23rd. Those who entered the beautiful landmark building were immediately immersed in the finest collection of biblical artifacts that had ever been in the city: Papyrus fragments, cuneiform tablets, medieval manuscripts, stunning Hebrew scrolls, and some of the most important early translations of the Bible in the world."

There are real world applications today for what they wrote of their lives, but rather than some people think outside the box to understand, they crawl inside the box and close the lid. There is more evidence today than ever before in the history of the human race and people will still go, that's not what that is and/or it wasn't documented in the appropriate manner.

Old 11-29-2022, 04:41 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,909,886 times
Quote:

I'll have something to say about that in a minute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality