Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2022, 05:38 PM

89,160 posts, read 85,835,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't think the term -- at least nowadays -- is at all limited to those who are "sexual prudes". It's become more a melding of religion and politics.

Rolling the eyes on the internet is one way of expressing that a comment is sarcasm, since to some that needs to be pointed out.
I use fundamentalist as the term to describe...fundamentalist Christians, which is THEIR word, THEIR definition as outlined in the set of essays called The Fundamentals by which they live, whether they call themselves that or not on a daily basis.

Simply put, fundamentalists are Christians who believe that everything in the Bible is actually the LITERAL WORDS OF GOD HIMSELF, unquestionable, infallible and absolutely true. Everything's all black-and-white, either good or evil.

Not all Christians think that way, of course, but those are the ones the world sees.

Fundy was just a shorter way of typing it, and as we see here, we have a fundamentalist who calls himself by that name in his screen name on City-Data. However, since some took offense at being called fundies, I now type out the word "fundamentalist".

Old 12-03-2022, 05:41 PM

89,160 posts, read 85,835,271 times
Quote:
How many more times are you going to point that out to a group of posters who already agree with you?
LOL, yes, as a matter of fact, did ANYONE agree that the OP proved his point? I don't think so.

Old 12-05-2022, 04:41 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,661,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Well when you find their diaries, you let me know if it reconciles, with people's opinions on the Internet. btw: you might need a library card for that. If you don't know what that is, google it. As for as the three hour long darkness, if a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear, does it still make a sound. The answer is yes, obviously, because sound is real --- yet the person who recorded the sound is doubted that, the tree falling made a sound, because they were not in the vicinity of the tree when it fell.

And while you search for proof of a solar eclipse, what? 7000 years ago, just know the asteroid hitting earth and wiping out all life, for science, that's still a theory, because they don't know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post

Because an actual event, a tree falling, therefore something that was probably an invention must have been a true event? That is called the non sequitur fallacy.

I do not need to search for an impossible event, a solar eclipse occurring during Passover, which happens with a full moon.
Quote:
I'm challenging that you have in your possession or have read literary works of Philo, Eusebius, Tacitus, and Suetonius and have ascertained what you say is true. Because I'm thinking you have read something similar to this and you believed 'em.
Quote:
Because an actual event, a tree falling, therefore something that was probably an invention must have been a true event? That is called the non sequitur fallacy.
I thought you were familiar with the concept of, "if a tree falls in a forest", as an actual event does it make a sound? Science says yes --- if they record the event in oral tradition as they would in ancient societies, then the perception today would be --- trees do not make a sound when they fall and no one is around to hear it. And yes, that is the logical conclusion, the only conclusion that can be drawn.
Quote:
I do not need to search for an impossible event, a solar eclipse occurring during Passover, which happens with a full moon.
Solar eclipse do happen --- that is not a stretch. The stretch, is a book that records real world events and it isn't believed, because their education was different then, than what ours is today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2022, 04:51 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,661,227 times
Quote:
... just know the asteroid hitting earth and wiping out all life, for science, that's still a theory, because they don't know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Excuse me, but which asteroid are you talking about? You aren't referring to the Chicxulub asteroid that hit the earth 65 million years ago are you? I haven't been keeping up with the thread so I don't know if that's something that came up earlier.
No Michael, just me using science discoveries (theories) to make a point. But, yes the Chicxlub asteroid, is the one I was referring to --- the events of the Bible, can't be proven any better than the asteroid, even with oral traditions being a thing of ancient cultures.

Old 12-06-2022, 06:52 AM

20,357 posts, read 13,749,611 times
Quote:
No Michael, just me using science discoveries (theories) to make a point. But, yes the Chicxlub asteroid, is the one I was referring to --- the events of the Bible, can't be proven any better than the asteroid, even with oral traditions being a thing of ancient cultures.
Except there's a giant impact crater and no one denies this.

Old 12-06-2022, 07:40 AM

16,924 posts, read 5,122,418 times
Quote:
I'm challenging that you have in your possession or have read literary works of Philo, Eusebius, Tacitus, and Suetonius and have ascertained what you say is true. Because I'm thinking you have read something similar to this and you believed 'em.
I no longer have the works of Tacitus, and Suetonius, I left them in Afghanistan, but you can find Philo and Eusebius on line.

Just because you use websites to get your information does not mean I have not done my homework by going to the actual sources.

Challenge away, but be prepared to get spanked.

Quote:
I thought you were familiar with the concept of, "if a tree falls in a forest", as an actual event does it make a sound? Science says yes --- if they record the event in oral tradition as they would in ancient societies, then the perception today would be --- trees do not make a sound when they fall and no one is around to hear it. And yes, that is the logical conclusion, the only conclusion that can be drawn.
I am familiar with the irrelevant concept, but because a tree falling makes a sound does not lead to the conclusion that an invented text (a second conclusion based on actual evidence) must actually be oral. That is not how logic works.

A non sequitur is a logical fallacy, not a logical argument.

We even know where much of Mark came from, rewriting the OT, where rewriting texts was a common practice among the educated of the Roman empire. And we know where the material from the other gospels came from, the OT and Mark. We have evidence for this, something we do not have, and can never have, for an oral tradition.

Just because oral story telling existed does not automatically mean Mark relied on oral tradition, and ignores the overwhelming evidence Mark is basing his allegorical fiction on the OT, just as Paul tells us that is where he found much of his information about Jesus.

Quote:
Solar eclipse do happen --- that is not a stretch. The stretch, is a book that records real world events and it isn't believed, because their education was different then, than what ours is today.
Except they did know then what we know now (apart from you) that solar eclipses do not happen during a full moon, they only ever happen at a new moon. That is why they never, ever, happen at Passover, and to pretend it can IS a stretch.

Old 12-06-2022, 08:02 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,176,865 times
Quote:
How many more times are you going to point that out to a group of posters who already agree with you?
As long as I see this farce continue.

Old 12-06-2022, 09:06 AM

51,611 posts, read 24,939,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
As long as I see this farce continue.
I'll remember you said that the next time the topic of slavery comes up here in the forum.

Old 12-06-2022, 10:31 AM

16,784 posts, read 15,888,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
107 pages, no proof, as promised. OP is playing bait and switch
Of course, you remember he told you weeks ago that he should have used the word evidence instead of the word proof.

Old 12-06-2022, 11:25 AM

33,430 posts, read 26,815,312 times
Quote:
You don't deny that there's a giant crater which was caused by the Chicxulub asteroid do you? Rocks found in the crater have been identified as carbonaceous chondrites which are a class of primitive meteorites containing high amounts of carbon.

And you do realize that in science the word 'theory' is not used in the same way it is used by the average person don't you? In science, a theory refers to a conclusion based on well tested experiments regarding some aspect of the natural world.

But yes, many events in the Bible cannot be proven, and a good case can be made against many of the biblical events. And some, such as the Genesis creation and Flood stories are absolutely disprovable thanks to science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality