Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2022, 11:52 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,935,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
No, they aren't relying on written facts. The Gospel author who was not an eyewitness (Luke) undoubtedly interviewed eyewitnesses.

The four biographies are each told from a different perspective. Each of the authors chose to emphasize some things over others as their biographies were primarily intended for different audiences.

1. Show us the written facts Mark and Matthew were relying upon.

2. What were the names of the eyewitnesses Luke was getting his information from?

3. So because each writer was writing for a different audience that means they had to change the facts from men in the tomb to angels in the tomb back to men and then back to angels???????? Seriously, Mike do you know how ludicrous that sounds?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2022, 12:22 PM

1,483 posts, read 481,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Unless you want to continue playing the atheist's game, you'll abandon keeping this going, which only serves his own twisted jollies.

God never commanded us to bring sanity or vision to the blind. This is between him and God, and he's choosing to be on the loosing end. Nothing any of us can do will save or change him.
Yeah, my thing is that I wouldn't write to someone if I didn't believe in them or care for them, even when it is a rebuke or correction. And listening is up to them.

I also know that sometimes you just have to let nature run its course.

Old 11-29-2022, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief scum View Post
Yeah, my thing is that I wouldn't write to someone if I didn't believe in them or care for them, even when it is a rebuke or correction. And listening is up to them.

I also know that sometimes you just have to let nature run its course.

If I said "I know the Flying Spaghetti Monster is real because he lives in my heart, and when I pray to him to locate my missing car keys I find them so that's proof he answers my prayers" how is that any different from a Christian saying, ""I know Jesus is real because he lives in my heart, and when I pray to him to locate my missing car keys I find them so that's proof he answers my prayers"?

There's not a dime's worth of evidence either Jesus or the Flying Spaghetti Monster is real so why pray to Jesus, why not pray to the Flying Spaghetti Monster and get the same result? At least the church that promotes the Flying Spaghetti monster doesn't threaten you with hell if you don't believe in him.

https://www.spaghettimonster.org/

Old 11-29-2022, 01:31 PM

13,635 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And how do you know about the oral tradition? Were you around to hear it? No. You got it almost entirely from the bible.
Oral tradition is any doctrine that is not explicitly found in Scripture. An example would be the doctrine of the Trinity.

Most of it has been codified by now in the form of Conciliar decrees, Papal teachings, and the like.

Quote:
What would please me would be if you stopped worshipping the catholic church and at least worshipped god and jesus.
This is quite an accusation - idolatry! I wonder why you feel that you have earned the right to judge me.

Can you provide evidence that I:

a) worship the Catholic Church

and

b) do not worship Jesus?

Also, it might help to understand what entails "worship" in your mind.

Old 11-29-2022, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
2. What were the names of the eyewitnesses Luke was getting his information from?
Since Luke's gospel contains by far the most detailed account of Christ's birth and childhood, I personally think it's quite likely he got much of his information from Christ's Mother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
3. So because each writer was writing for a different audience that means they had to change the facts from men in the tomb to angels in the tomb back to men and then back to angels???????? Seriously, Mike do you know how ludicrous that sounds?
I don't see these accounts as being in conflict. Angels do not have physical bodies, but have been known to take on the form of men.

Old 11-29-2022, 01:38 PM

50,868 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Oral tradition is any doctrine that is not explicitly found in Scripture. An example would be the doctrine of the Trinity.

Most of it has been codified by now in the form of Conciliar decrees, Papal teachings, and the like.

This is quite an accusation - idolatry! I wonder why you feel that you have earned the right to judge me.

and

b) do not worship Jesus?

All I need is this statement of YOURS:

"The purpose of the Bible is to support the work and teaching of the Church and to be read in the liturgy."

You clearly state that the Bible is secondary to the church in Rome.

Old 11-29-2022, 01:43 PM

Quote:
All I need is this statement of YOURS:

"The purpose of the Bible is to support the work and teaching of the Church and to be read in the liturgy."

You clearly state that the Bible is secondary to the church in Rome.

Well where do you think the Bible came from? Did it fall out of the sky?

The Bible is a product of the Church, compiled in order to serve the Church.

This historical statement is akin to idolatry of the Church to you? Interesting.

And if I were a sola scriptura evangelical who claimed that the Bible is the only rule of faith and not any church, I wonder if you would accuse me of idolizing the Bible instead of worshipping Jesus...

You didn't answer (b) though. Where is your evidence that I don't worship Jesus?

Old 11-29-2022, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Since Luke's gospel contains by far the most detailed account of Christ's birth and childhood, I personally think it's quite likely he got much of his information from Christ's Mother.
Stop it, Mike, please. You're killing me.

Old 11-29-2022, 02:23 PM

63,844 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
and
b) do not worship Jesus?

The answer is simple, Mike. Your authority and source of truth about God is the Catholic Church, period!!! That is NOT Jesus!!! If you truly worshiped Jesus as your source of Truth about God, it wouldn't be idolatrous because HE is God incarnate!! What about that do you not understand???

Old 11-29-2022, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The answer is simple, Mike. Your authority and source of truth about God is the Catholic Church, period!!! That is NOT Jesus!!!
No; the Catholic Church is not Jesus. However, the Church is the primary means by which and through which we can know Jesus. She is His Bride and His Kingdom on earth.

How can one truly know Jesus outside the context of His Church?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
If you truly worshiped Jesus as your source of Truth about God, it wouldn't be idolatrous because HE is God incarnate!! What about that do you not understand???
When I go to mass and present my body as a living sacrifice to God, along with the perfect sacrifice offered up to God by the Priest under the appearances of bread and wine, what am I doing then if not worshipping Jesus?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality