Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2022, 10:24 AM

29,547 posts, read 9,713,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Our belief in the Resurrection comes from the testimony of the witnesses to it, namely the Apostles. They founded the Catholic Church and traveled the world establishing churches and spreading the teachings.

The Gospel accounts were not written down until later.
Where do I go to find this testimony of the witnesses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2022, 10:26 AM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I was Atheist then. I hadn't learned yet.
Yeah. Right.

Old 03-18-2022, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
1) Utterly false

2) There is no god therefore no gods authority.

3) Again utterly false.

Your post is one of the least logical and less informed that I've read on this forum.

Good and bad is self evident. If you need a Bible to explain the difference between good and bad, then you lack the ability to make any decisions or judgements for yourself. I sincerely hope you don't think all the instructions in the Bible are to be followed. I would have thought your god gave you a brain that you should be using.

You claim that because I don't believe in Jesus (I actually do believe that Jesus was a real person. I do not believe he was the son of a non existent god), that I deserve all the same punishment as Putin.
And this you think is justice and logical.

It would be insulting frankly. Insulting in the sense of the complete lack of any justifiable reason to view a completely innocent person as being in the same league as a mass murderer. It's sick really and the opposite of moral. It's immoral. So fortunately I don't value your opinion at all.

I always have to wonder how anyone in this day and age thinks that this viewpoint would make anyone want to be a Christian. It would be the last religion I'd want to follow.

I don't know what you've been doing for the last 3 weeks but I've spent a large proportion of it making direct links with and supporting Ukranian families stuck in occupied parts of Ukraine.
And I'm not doing it because I think I'll go to hell if I don't.
I'm doing it because it's the right thing to do, using, you know, my atheistic, apparently non objective lack of knowledge of the difference between good and bad.
Anyway, carry on. I'm sure you have 'Christian' things to get on with like insulting people on the internet.
You are soon to feel the wrath of Gldn the Thin Skin with this one. Guarandamnteed!

Old 03-18-2022, 10:27 AM

16,770 posts, read 4,977,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyZ View Post
Again, people who believe in Jesus go to Heaven, and people who don't believe in Jesus don't go to Heaven.

Perfectly logical.

Your problem is that you're playing the 'how good/bad is somebody compared to how good/bad others are' game.

Several problems with this:

1) In an atheistic framework, there's no objective basis for 'good' or 'bad'
Of course there is, as many definitions will have objective truths. PI is an example. It is the religious who have the problem with a different source of objective morality, as a god can not create objective morality. An objective truth must be independent of a god, by definition.

Quote:
2) Accordingly, people who reject God's authority (e.g. you) now get to make up the definitions of 'good' and 'bad'
No, once you look at why we are moral beings, it becomes logically clear what good and bad is.

Quote:
3) Unsurprisingly, you'll fall into the 'good' category and, invariably, other people fall into the 'bad' category

This is self-righteousness.
That is a straw man.

Old 03-18-2022, 10:34 AM

13,615 posts, read 7,927,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Where do I go to find this testimony of the witnesses?
The Catholic Church. Its bishops are the successors to the Apostles themselves. The teachings and traditions have been passed down to this day.

Old 03-18-2022, 10:35 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,927 times
Quote:
The Catholic Church. Its bishops are the successors to the Apostles themselves. The teachings and traditions have been passed down to this day.
Are you saying it is passed down by word of mouth?

Old 03-18-2022, 10:37 AM

13,615 posts, read 7,927,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Are you saying it is passed down by word of mouth?
The teachings and traditions have been passed down by word of mouth and in writing.

Old 03-18-2022, 10:43 AM

10,529 posts, read 6,163,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
You are soon to feel the wrath of Gldn the Thin Skin with this one. Guarandamnteed!
Ahh me and Gldn are good. He knows where I'm coming from.

Old 03-18-2022, 11:14 AM

Quote:
I was raised a Catholic. Been to the Vatican. Blessed by the Pope. Please be more specific. If I go to a Catholic church like once upon a time I did, will I not find the priests referring to the Bible with respect to all you are going on about? What has been passed down and written in the Bible? Will they not ask me to refer to the Bible? Wasn't that why they had me go to Bible school?

What am I missing here?

Again perhaps you will be kind enough to fill me in, so I can find out when I return to this thread perhaps tomorrow. Time for me to sign off now however. A blessed weekend to you and yours!

Old 03-18-2022, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Ahh me and Gldn are good. He knows where I'm coming from.
Worse than any fears about Gldn, I'm afraid you're going to hell for that comment too, but I can think of worse things to worry about. Cheers. You and yours have a good weekend too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality