Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2022, 10:55 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,671,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No you won't. You're just stirring things up.
You are wrong. I really am directing positive conscious energy toward your psyche.
I hope my prayers will help to get you tuned into a better vibe. A vibe of acceptance, good will, and tolerance toward the Beliefs & Faith of others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2022, 12:19 AM

51,024 posts, read 24,518,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
You are wrong. I really am directing positive conscious energy toward your psyche.
I hope my prayers will help to get you tuned into a better vibe. A vibe of acceptance, good will, and tolerance toward the Beliefs & Faith of others.
Get back to me when you begin to demonstrate a sense of morality in your postings.

Old 03-18-2022, 12:53 AM

16,828 posts, read 5,030,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
One could argue that he did! Although fiction as a genre was in its infancy during Dante's time, La Vita Nuova could be loosely said to contain elements of it.
Fiction existed centuries before Christianity.

Old 03-18-2022, 06:49 AM

10,539 posts, read 6,188,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Same as everybody else.

They die, they decompose, or they are cremated.

That's it. Anything else is just wishful thinking.

There is no 'cosmic justice'.

Justice happens, here in this life.

Let's say for arguments sake, hell exists and Putin is sent there to burn for for all eternity. Well then so are ordinary people living ordinary lives who apparently didn't 'get saved by Jesus'.
It's nonsense. Sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyZ View Post
What's nonsensical about Putin, who doesn't believe in Jesus, going to Hell and being with other people who don't believe in Jesus?

Sounds perfectly logical - that those who don't believe in Jesus go to Hell.
You are putting Putiin - a mass murderer, and ordinary people living ordinary lives but don't believe in Jesus in the same category ie they are all going to hell.
And you think this sounds logical?

Yeah yeah I know what you're going to say next, that it's not your judgement, it's gods judgement etc etc.
And then in the next breath you'll claim this God is all loving and his judgements are not to be questioned.

You should probably start asking yourself some questions frankly.

Old 03-18-2022, 06:56 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,103,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
If the other person doesn't want it, then actually the prayers you are saying are for your own personal benefit. But okay, if you wish, I will 'hope' that you who push your religion on others experience the karma you deserve.
May be you are under the influence of evil forces/devil/Satan, and that’s why you don’t want prayers.
I think in such cases, prayers is what you need the most - so be humble and happily put a smile on your face, say Thank You and hope for the best, when someone prays for you.

Old 03-18-2022, 07:16 AM

13,721 posts, read 8,025,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Fiction existed centuries before Christianity.
While this thread and even this sub-forum has nothing to do with the history of literature, I'll just say this and no more on the subject: It's generally accepted that fiction as a genre was invented around the 12th century.

Old 03-18-2022, 08:13 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,343,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
May be you are under the influence of evil forces/devil/Satan, and that’s why you don’t want prayers.
I think in such cases, prayers is what you need the most - so be humble and happily put a smile on your face, say Thank You and hope for the best, when someone prays for you.
No thd humble person would be the one to recognize that the other person does not believe in gods hence prayers are meaningless and then that humble person would then not push their prayers onto where they are not wanted. Your post indicates you believe that only believers beliefs are important

After my heartattack and before my surgery a person I do not know well sent me his prayers. I thanked him but it did not put a smile on my face. It is silly to think it would. Of course I thanked him the same as I did to all those who sent me their best wishes.I

Those of us that do not believe in any gods or goddesses also do not believe in any demons or satan or devils. If you wish to have respect for your religion do not push your belief in evil forces upon our lack of belief.

Old 03-18-2022, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Forcing your religion on others in pure ego, and if there was such a being as Satan, that abuse of your own ego would be exactly a tactic he would use.

Old 03-18-2022, 09:02 AM
SyZ

151 posts, read 140,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
You are putting Putiin - a mass murderer, and ordinary people living ordinary lives but don't believe in Jesus in the same category ie they are all going to hell.
And you think this sounds logical?

Yeah yeah I know what you're going to say next, that it's not your judgement, it's gods judgement etc etc.
And then in the next breath you'll claim this God is all loving and his judgements are not to be questioned.

You should probably start asking yourself some questions frankly.
Again, people who believe in Jesus go to Heaven, and people who don't believe in Jesus don't go to Heaven.

Perfectly logical.

Your problem is that you're playing the 'how good/bad is somebody compared to how good/bad others are' game.

Several problems with this:

1) In an atheistic framework, there's no objective basis for 'good' or 'bad'

2) Accordingly, people who reject God's authority (e.g. you) now get to make up the definitions of 'good' and 'bad'

3) Unsurprisingly, you'll fall into the 'good' category and, invariably, other people fall into the 'bad' category

This is self-righteousness. This is what the Pharisees were guilty of, and what Jesus condemned them for.

The truth is that we're all sinners, including you, and including me, and the first step towards salvation is to recognize this.

Old 03-18-2022, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
No thd humble person would be the one to recognize that the other person does not believe in gods hence prayers are meaningless and then that humble person would then not push their prayers onto where they are not wanted. Your post indicates you believe that only believers beliefs are important

After my heartattack and before my surgery a person I do not know well sent me his prayers. I thanked him but it did not put a smile on my face. It is silly to think it would. Of course I thanked him the same as I did to all those who sent me their best wishes.I

Those of us that do not believe in any gods or goddesses also do not believe in any demons or satan or devils. If you wish to have respect for your religion do not push your belief in evil forces upon our lack of belief.
It's called 'christian privilege' and, as you point out, it's an ego-trip that is the exact opposite of humility.

I wonder how christians would feel if a person who practices voodoo or some similar belief system put a spell on them 'for their own good'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality