Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2022, 11:49 AM

16,669 posts, read 15,663,359 times

Advertisements

This forum is not hostile to Christians. It is also not hostile to Muslims, or Jews, or Buddhists, or any other religion.

You can get a sense of how the company owner wants the forums to work by reading the "Sticky" post by Administrator in the Atheism and Agnosticism sub-forum. He expected this main forum to be a general mix up, with the sub-forums for specific religions. Based on that concept, there is no reason for Christianity to get any special treatment in this forum.

Old 03-10-2022, 11:50 AM

63,793 posts, read 40,063,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
And yet I can think of no poster other than yourself who has called other religions as false and lies as well as show distain towards those without religion. Or towards other Christians who see your religion different from how you view it. You have also called some religious beliefs as fairytales.

No religion or lack of religion deserves special treatment from the rest of the posters, not my lack of belief or your brand of Christainity. The same goes for the other posters who think Christainity or some other belief system should be treated as special compared to the others.

Mire often than not it is not your belief in God, Jesus or the Bible that gets what yoy call.mocked , insulted or shown distain but your intrepetation anc applucation of said beliefs that are disagreeded with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2022, 11:51 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,013,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
This forum is not hostile to Christians. It is also not hostile to Muslims, or Jews, or Buddhists, or any other religion.

You can get a sense of how the company owner wants the forums to work by reading the "Sticky" post by Administrator in the Atheism and Agnosticism sub-forum. He expected this main forum to be a general mix up, with the sub-forums for specific religions. Based on that concept, there is no reason for Christianity to get any special treatment in this forum.
lol...good one. Sure. Ok.

I recall a moderator laughing and giving approval to Jeff being mocked and, I believe, suggested as being homosexual.

But sure. Ok. Go ahead and believe that it's not hostile.

Old 03-10-2022, 11:52 AM

Quote:
And yet I can think of no poster other than yourself who has called other religions as false and lies as well as show distain towards those without religion. Or towards other Christians who see your religion different from how you view it. You have also called some religious beliefs as fairytales.

No religion or lack of religion deserves special treatment from the rest of the posters, not my lack of belief or your brand of Christainity. The same goes for the other posters who think Christainity or some other belief system should be treated as special compared to the others.

Mire often than not it is not your belief in God, Jesus or the Bible that gets what yoy call.mocked , insulted or shown distain but your intrepetation anc applucation of said beliefs that are disagreeded with.
You should pay attention more. I'm going to just assume that you are ignorant of certain ones, rather than intentionally lying. There have been hostile posters to all religions, and one person in authority (not speaking as a mod) gave her approval of it happening, even.

Seriously. To suggest that this it's one-sided is seriously some crazy stuff.

Old 03-10-2022, 12:29 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
You should pay attention more. I'm going to just assume that you are ignorant of certain ones, rather than intentionally lying. There have been hostile posters to all religions, and one person in authority (not speaking as a mod) gave her approval of it happening, even.

Seriously. To suggest that this it's one-sided is seriously some crazy stuff.
Read my post again. I did not say it was one sided. I just pointed out to you thar even though you complain that you are just as guilty.

I never stated that others, such as non Christian, were not guilty of it too. But as long as you attack or insult other beliefs you have little room to complain of others attacking your religion. That was my only point.

Old 03-10-2022, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Read my post again. I did not say it was one sided. I just pointed out to you thar even though you complain that you are just as guilty.

I never stated that others, such as non Christian, were not guilty of it too. But as long as you attack or insult other beliefs you have little room to complain of others attacking your religion. That was my only point.
No. I'm not. I don't make personal attacks. It may come across that way sometimes, and I'm sorry. As for saying a belief is wrong? I got no issue with that. You want to disagree with what I believe? OK. Let's talk. Knock yourself out.

Old 03-10-2022, 01:14 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,357 times
Quote:
No. I'm not. I don't make personal attacks. It may come across that way sometimes, and I'm sorry. As for saying a belief is wrong? I got no issue with that. You want to disagree with what I believe? OK. Let's talk. Knock yourself out.
So if I stat that Christianity is false, the Bibks is full of lies and the stiry of Jesus is a fairytale you are totally fine with that of do you think that us an insult to your religion?

Please address only what I asked in this post

Old 03-10-2022, 01:16 PM

Quote:
So if I stat that Christianity is false, the Bibks is full of lies and the stiry of Jesus is a fairytale you are totally fine with that of do you think that us an insult to your religion?

Please address only what I asked in this post
I won't call you a jerk for saying that. I'll vehemently disagree with you and think you're wrong. I'll discuss that and debate you. Depending on what you say exactly I may not even respond if you say it in a tone that is too divisive. But I won't suggest that you are making personal attacks or trolling me.

Now, if you say something about ME, or Christians in general, that would be wrong.

Last edited by BaptistFundie; 03-10-2022 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: Just to correct a typo/grammatical mistake

Old 03-10-2022, 03:45 PM
SyZ

151 posts, read 139,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
I'm both amused and saddened by those who believe Christianity gives us some kind of cosmic justice - that somehow those who were evil will get exactly what they deserve.

Because that's not how it works. Despite BaptistFundie's snarky response, that is exactly what Christianity teaches - and it is why Christianity is horrifically ammoral. In fact, it's the worst religion still practiced.

The fact that the Hitlers of the world - the Stalins, the Pol Pots, the Saddam Husseins - the Charles Mansons, the Jeffery Dahlmers, the John Wayne Gayces - every pedophile that repeatedly raped young children, pretty much every priest and pastor that ever lured a young boy into the basement with the promise of candy and video games ... they can literally sit at the right hand of God and enjoy Heaven as if they were Saints.

The only thing that will land you in Hell is disbelief. Which means there is no justice for those who have committed insanely evil acts. There is only God's ego. He tosses people into Hell not for being bad but for not giving him the love, the worship, the adoration, and the obedience he demands.

Yes - demands. Only a sicko demands love from someone else.

It means that the vast majority of people will burn. Over two-thirds of the current population will burn.

The vast majority of those people will have been good, decent people. They would have been caring, loving, honest, and charitable. They will have lived law abiding lives, giving whatever they can of themselves to be empathic with their fellow humans. In fact, many of these people will have lived far better lives than many Christians ... in fact, I would argue that they lived better lives than ALL Christians.

Why?

I know I've said this before - but I'm going to say it again because it is so deadly important when understanding the Christian mindset.

Because, see ... it's not enough to simply believe that billions of wonderful people will burn due to things like where and when they were born, who their parents were, what they were taught to believe - often because of circumstances beyond their control.

For instance, how can a sociopath ever gain entrance to Heaven when they are incapable of feeling guilt? Thus no matter how much they may pray, they can't mean what they say - they can't truly repent. Off to the fiery furnace with those people because it's all their fault they were born sociopaths! Burn! Burn!

The worst thing about Christianity - the absolute WORST things - that the average Christian knows is true but cannot come to terms with is this: They must truly believe that all of those billions of good-hearted people DESERVE to be tortured forever - and for nothing more than not joining their cult and worshiping their god.

They deserve it! And Christians have to walk around with that knowledge as they interact with all kinds of non-Christians ... from agnostics to atheists ... to Muslims to Hindus ... to Wiccans to Pagans ... to Taoists and Buddhists ... Shintoists and hundreds of small religions worshiped by specific tribes ... they deserve to experience nothing but horrible pain.

Doesn't matter how many times your Hindu friend loaned you money that you never paid back - and he never complained. Doesn't matter how many times your Pagan friend stayed up all night long as you poured out your problems onto her plate. Doesn't matter how many nights your Wiccan babysitter spent watching your kids so *you* could have fun. Doesn't matter how many times you exploited your friends and family for their kindness and charity - they still deserve to burn.

I really ... REALLY ... do not understand how anyone with a decent moral compass can believe in such absolute evil.

Fortunately, I do NOT believe that everyone who doesn't worship my god and join my religion should burn forever.

But I also cannot say what happens to despots and evil people after they die. Let us all hope that there is justice - and even a measure of revenge - for their victims. At least for awhile. But everyone should be redeemed eventually. What's the point of burning someone forever?

Any good parent will tell you that you punish your children to teach them how to behave and to follow the rules. A punishment is a teachable moment. It isn't so a parent can smack around their kids because they make mistakes. It's not so parents can take out their anger and frustration out on their children.

An eternal punishment makes learning from one's mistakes pointless - it is an act of vengeance, an act of pure anger and evil. Because roasting in Hell teaches nothing.
In your atheistic worldview with no God and no objective morality, is there something 'wrong' with dictators, child molestors, serial killers, etc.?

By what standard are you using to define 'wrong'?

Old 03-10-2022, 03:55 PM

19,979 posts, read 13,466,622 times
Quote:
Now, if you say something about ME, or Christians in general, that would be wrong.
Well let's explore that a little bit.

Christianity is an idea. It competes in a "marketplace of ideas". As a Christian you probably do not think of it this way particularly, as for you it's the only idea you entertain. But especially apart from someone like me who used to be an insider, most outsiders have no built-in reason to see Christian dogma or theology or truth claims as having any more inherent standing than any other random idea, and would not necessarily be more familiar with it than any other random idea.

So can you see how someone coming into contact with Christianity in that fashion would find notions like "blasphemy" or a certain ... shall we say, sensitivity ... to any sort of critique of Christians or Christianity generally would seem to be a demand for respect for an idea that hasn't actually been earned?

The problem I see is that the church is accustomed to enjoying the benefits of certain taboos such as the concept that to express skepticism or distaste for certain aspects of your faith, to argue against basic tenets of your faith, or even to require acceptable evidence before you'll consider believing it, is blasphemy or sacreligious ... or, as you put it, "wrong".

It is a fine line, of course. I am generally careful about gratuitous verbiage. I can convey the simple fact that i don't believe in your deity without using terms like "sky wizard". Some people choose to be more acerbic, and in literally ANY other realm of discussion (except maybe, these days, politics) that would not be occasion for the pearl-clutching I sometimes see in Christians.

More generally, my experience has been that Christian's malfunction with unbelievers isn't so much that we don't believe (though it's that, too) as that we're not impressed or that we're indifferent to the things that thrill you. As a former believer, I understand this better than some atheists. I know how "into" certain things I was, how impressive they were to me, vs now, and I can imagine my former self being aghast at my present self, I suppose. So I tend to dial it down most of the time, unless a theist is being a booger with ME and I'm inclined to see if they can take it and not just dish it out.

So I guess what I'm asking is, what is wrong with expressing what appears to me to be a valid general observation about Christians just because it is -- maybe not even unflattering, but just not admiring? How much do you really expect me to walk on eggshells? I'm just trying to get an honest feel for this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality