Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2022, 08:55 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
*snort*

I can even remember the very first time we ever crossed swords - the entire snarky nonsense that started our slide down Animosity Mountain.

Care for a refresher?

The thread in question was someone asking, "Is there sex in Heaven?"

It was a jokey, light-hearted thread since obviously the sexual nature of the thread caused a lot of humor.

You were not even participating in the conversation.

I remember I posted a facetious comment when I said something like:

"If there is sex in heaven, then it's only the missionary position, with your clothes on, the lights on, it must be for procreation only, no birth control, and no pulling out! Remember Onan!"

Or something like that. It was meant as a big joke about how conservative and even hostile some Christians are about sex.

And BF comes breezing in chewing me out for daring to say something bad about Christianity.

I mean, even JeffBase laughed at my post. JEFFBASE. If anyone remembers JeffBase, he was one of the most fanatical believers this board has ever seen. He and I used to write novels to each other arguing and counterarguing each other.

And yet even he thought my post was funny and didn't try to insult me or correct my behavior.

So there. It was posted like ... last year. Maybe longer. So I'm not going to hunt it down. But it's there if anyone else cares to look.

It's been this way ever since.
What did I say? And is it possible that maybe there was any point to my comment? Why are you allowed to make jokes but no one can take offense?

I VAGUELY remember that joke. Can't remember my reaction, but have you stopped to consider that maybe what you caught from me was a reaction to the nonstop attacks and harassment that we see on this forum? Maybe I did wrongly respond to you. But one poster in particular had free run to mercilessly attack anyone he disagreed with. And he did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2022, 09:23 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
What did I say? And is it possible that maybe there was any point to my comment? Why are you allowed to make jokes but no one can take offense?

I VAGUELY remember that joke. Can't remember my reaction, but have you stopped to consider that maybe what you caught from me was a reaction to the nonstop attacks and harassment that we see on this forum? Maybe I did wrongly respond to you. But one poster in particular had free run to mercilessly attack anyone he disagreed with. And he did.
Okay ... here's how it went.

Quote:
To tell the truth, I honestly hope not.

Because people are already obsessed with it enough in THIS life.

Plus, it means all the sexual baggage will follow us into Heaven, as well.

Double plus, if we're talking about the Biblical Heaven, it wouldn't matter anyway. Because the hundreds upon hundreds of Biblical rules regarding sex would apply -- which means you'd essentially be reduced to having sex in the very traditional missionary position, fully clothed, with the lights on, eyes closed, just long enough for the man to ejaculate for reproduction purposes, with no foreplay before and no cigarette after.

And saying "Oh god!" during intercourse would count as blasphemy and you would be expelled immediately.

Quote:
Once again, you seem to demonstrate a complete lack of knowledge of what the Bible actually says, but it doesn't stop you from pontificating about it. I'm sorry for you.
I would say that was rather antagonistic considering I wasn't quoting you, addressing you, referencing you in any way whatsoever. Responding to me, fine, but ... saying "I'm sorry for you" is dripping in condescension and a holier-than-thou smugness that could rub anyone the wrong way. Especially since it was one of the first post I had written after a very long absence and I didn't know you from Adam at the time.

There's also the same old line that implies that because I don't share your interpretation of the Bible I must sit down and shut up.

Of course others recognized it, too:

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't know which is funnier...Shirina's joking or your inability to recognize a joke.
And again ... nothing about what I said. Just your opinion that I shouldn't even be here on the forum because I don't treat your religion with kid gloves. Just things said about me personally.

Quote:
Again...I don't mind humor. I have a hard time with intentionally mocking. I find it sad that you have nothing better to do but to hang out here, insulting others and mocking people.
Of course I insulted no one. Even your accusations are flat-out lies.

Old 03-10-2022, 09:27 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
In case anybody wants to read it, this is the thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/reli...ns-heaven.html

Old 03-10-2022, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
In case anybody wants to read it, this is the thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/reli...ns-heaven.html
What a guy.

Old 03-10-2022, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Okay ... here's how it went.

I would say that was rather antagonistic considering I wasn't quoting you, addressing you, referencing you in any way whatsoever. Responding to me, fine, but ... saying "I'm sorry for you" is dripping in condescension and a holier-than-thou smugness that could rub anyone the wrong way. Especially since it was one of the first post I had written after a very long absence and I didn't know you from Adam at the time.

There's also the same old line that implies that because I don't share your interpretation of the Bible I must sit down and shut up.

Of course others recognized it, too:

And again ... nothing about what I said. Just your opinion that I shouldn't even be here on the forum because I don't treat your religion with kid gloves. Just things said about me personally.

Of course I insulted no one. Even your accusations are flat-out lies.
You missed the part where I explained myself:

Quote:
I get the point she was making...she thinks that Christians hate sex and that we think it's dirty or evil. That couldn't be farther from the truth. God created the 1st 2 humans and he invented sex. Sex between a husband and wife is good, and it is to be enjoyed.
And I'll stand by that. If you'd like to correct me and tell me that no, you don't believe Christians hate sex or think it's dirty or evil, then I apologize. But what I said was relevant to the discussion.

Old 03-10-2022, 09:51 AM

Thing is BF, I'm more than willing to let it all drop.

I just can't promise you that I'm going to tip-toe around your religion - because religion is as deserving of unfavoriable opinions, criticism, mocking, joking, and analysis just as everything else is - politics, culture, music, books, the weather - whatever it is.

Religion for far too long has enjoyed unearned respect and sacredness that it shouldn't have ever had. The whole point of living in a free country with 1st Amendment rights is that I can criticize religion. Not just Christianity but all of them - though mostly it's religions that share the same holy books: Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Mormons, JWs, etc.

Of course Christianity receives the lion's share of criticism because most everyone who posts here on the "believer's" side of the fence are, in some way, involved in Christianity. No point in arguing about Islam if there are no Muslim posters. Everyone, even the Christians, would just agree with me. Like preaching to the choir.

Anyway, that's that. Sorry for hijacking the thread with drama.

Old 03-10-2022, 09:59 AM

Quote:
You missed the part where I explained myself:

And I'll stand by that. If you'd like to correct me and tell me that no, you don't believe Christians hate sex or think it's dirty or evil, then I apologize. But what I said was relevant to the discussion.
No, the point was that it was a joke.

Are jokes generally true and factual?

Do jokes generally represent the feelings of the comedien? I hope not considering the jokes a lot of them tell.

But let's face it - there are A LOT of Christians who do look at sex as something dirty. That's one of the reasons why I lost any respect I may have had for Christianity - or most religions for that matter - was its ridiculous preoccupation with sex.

Instead of bashing us over the head again and again with sex rules, the Bible could have explained bacteria or given a course in basic first aid. How about how to give someone CPR? But no, God thought it was more important that we never ever ever boil a goat in its own mother's milk.

I know not every Christian sees sex as dirty. Was I poking fun at those who do? You betchya. Why can't you? If you're not a person who sees sex as dirty, why are you incapable of seeing the humor in the behavior of those that DO see sex as something only for procreation and not enjoyment? Why must you defend a subset of a group you do not even belong to? Because an atheist is making a joke about a particular group of Christians therefore Christendom must be defended against atheists at all costs?

Personally I think it's because, even if you did find it humorous, you're not allowed to laugh at an atheist's joke because it might lead others to think you might agree with me about something.

Old 03-10-2022, 10:11 AM

Quote:
No, the point was that it was a joke.

Are jokes generally true and factual?

Do jokes generally represent the feelings of the comedien? I hope not considering the jokes a lot of them tell.

But let's face it - there are A LOT of Christians who do look at sex as something dirty. That's one of the reasons why I lost any respect I may have had for Christianity - or most religions for that matter - was its ridiculous preoccupation with sex.
Yes. There are. And many accuse all Christians of being prudes who hate sex. I'm sorry if I misunderstood your statement. You do have a history of being critical of Christianity.
Quote:
Instead of bashing us over the head again and again with sex rules, the Bible could have explained bacteria or given a course in basic first aid. How about how to give someone CPR? But no, God thought it was more important that we never ever ever boil a goat in its own mother's milk.
There is reason why God chose to give those commands. He wanted his people to not be like the nations around them.
Quote:
I know not every Christian sees sex as dirty. Was I poking fun at those who do? You betchya.
And that's the general idea of why I think I took offense. Again, I'm sorry if I overreacted.
Quote:

Why can't you? If you're not a person who sees sex as dirty, why are you incapable of seeing the humor in the behavior of those that DO see sex as something only for procreation and not enjoyment? Why must you defend a subset of a group you do not even belong to? Because an atheist is making a joke about a particular group of Christians therefore Christendom must be defended against atheists at all costs?

Personally I think it's because, even if you did find it humorous, you're not allowed to laugh at an atheist's joke because it might lead others to think you might agree with me about something.
I think it's more likely that I have seen the general disdain that a certain group of posters has about Christianity, and the endorsement that they get. This tends to be a hostile forum to Christians.

Old 03-10-2022, 10:32 AM

Quote:
I think it's more likely that I have seen the general disdain that a certain group of posters has about Christianity, and the endorsement that they get. This tends to be a hostile forum to Christians.
I know ... it can be.

It's actually gotten a lot better for Christians over the last couple of years. Things are a lot tamer now than they used to be.

This is how I see it, BF.

As I said, I can't promise to always be nice to Christianity. But when I do post something critical of it, I actually do have a point. It isn't just for the sake of bashing and watching people get angry. I'm definitely not some kind of troll. My posts might be longer than you enjoy reading but I don't fill them with fluff. Not usually, anyway.

As I've told every Christian on this forum that I've crossed swords with: Your religious beliefs are just one little part of who you are. There are lots of ways I would identify myself before saying I'm an atheist, for example.

Bottom line is that I don't form opinions of people based solely on their religion. I would be happy to have a conversation with a Christian about anything else - to get to know them outside of the box of religion. For all I know, BF, you and I could be soulmates in every way other than religion. Who knows?

There's nothing personal in what I say. I don't have you in mind every time I say something bad about religion. I can't really speak for all the other atheist posters. I'm not nearly as active around here as they are. Just today, I went to see if anyone responded to a post I wrote yesterday - and there were 6 more pages! I can't keep up.

But I will say this - I do apologise if I make you angry or uncomfortable. It's honestly not my intention. When I stopped posting almost two years ago, there were a lot of Christians with some pretty extreme views. The Christians posting here now, including you, aren't really the kind of Christians I generally target with my posts - which is why some of my biggest supporters have been Christian.

Thus it was also not my intention to dogpile you - if that's how you felt. I know how it feels when you're one person and half a dozen or more people are bombarding you with opposing opinions - especially when they demand you respond to every one of them or they automatically win. (Been there before).

Hopefully we can get along a little better since ... I like to talk rather than fight, even if we don't always agree.

Old 03-10-2022, 10:36 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:
Yes. There are. And many accuse all Christians of being prudes who hate sex. I'm sorry if I misunderstood your statement. You do have a history of being critical of Christianity.

There is reason why God chose to give those commands. He wanted his people to not be like the nations around them.

And that's the general idea of why I think I took offense. Again, I'm sorry if I overreacted.

And yet I can think of no poster other than yourself who has called other religions as false and lies as well as show distain towards those without religion. Or towards other Christians who see your religion different from how you view it. You have also called some religious beliefs as fairytales.

No religion or lack of religion deserves special treatment from the rest of the posters, not my lack of belief or your brand of Christainity. The same goes for the other posters who think Christainity or some other belief system should be treated as special compared to the others.

Mire often than not it is not your belief in God, Jesus or the Bible that gets what yoy call.mocked , insulted or shown distain but your intrepetation anc applucation of said beliefs that are disagreeded with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality