Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 04:58 AM

50,147 posts, read 20,940,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlucas57 View Post
"Like I asked before, HOW do you convert to something that you do not believe? HOW can you MAKE your mind believe something that you do not now believe?

THINK! How is that possible?"

It's easier than all that. It's not about forcing anything, that would be disingenuous. 1 Cor 12:3 says no one can say something as simple as "Jesus is Lord" except by the spirit. Most Christians consider that a very basic principle...that Jesus is the Savior. To Christians that's simple, basic, fundamental. And even THAT can't be professed except by the spirit of God?! So how would the even bigger things manifest themselves except by the spirit? These things must be sought through prayer. It happens line upon line and precept upon precept, of its own volition, not because of something forced or meticulously calculated. I don't know how you pray but when I pray I like to develop my own opinions and just say in prayer "I've made such-and-such decision, please corroborate that it is in my best interest to pursue this" and then I'll either feel nothing (that's a "no") or I'll feel a deep peace and warmth and calm in an unmistakable way...in a way that I just know comes from God. That's encouragement, and that's a "yes" from the Lord or a "go ahead" from the Lord. Then one prayer at a time you're moved closer and closer to the truth and to the knowledge of the things of the spirit. Everything is a natural progression, not a calculated maneuver. After the spirit transforms, then the mind follows.
It's called brainwashing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 07:58 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,383,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
They don't sound like very good friends.
No they don't. Find something to believe in.

I don't mean find religion. I mean, the key to effectively debating and warding off other people's religious system is strengthening your personal beliefs, figuring out why you believe as you do (background, logic, whatever). When you have a position, you have a position to argue from, and can say "no, shut up, I believe in this." When this happens, you'll probably be able to lose some of the more annoying ones, because you'll know exactly what it is that sets you off, and learn to avoid people who act like that.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:41 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,479,310 times
it might be too late, but if you would have said to them at first that you go to church every sunday, you would have been ok. it seems that going to church equates to being saved and you will be left alone.
maybe throw in a few " God bless you brother" when they leave. You would seem authentic

Old 05-22-2013, 03:16 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,290,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pac0900 View Post
I have a few religious friends, one being Muslim and others Christians. The one who is Muslim told me that Allah is great, he created the world and everything in it, and if I don't believe in Him I will burn in hell for all eternity on more than one occasion. He also said that if I don't convert to his religion, I better not convert to Judaism (I have a feeling he doesn't like Jews).

The other Christian one, he said that I was 'blind' not to believe in Jesus. He lectured me on how he was the great 'savior' and he died on the cross for our sins etc etc. Also, if I don't believe in him I will burn in hell and beg God to release me because of the undeniable suffering. Oh, he told me that being an atheist means you don't believe in Jesus. But isn't an atheist a person who doesn't believe in any deity?

I have tried to confront those two but I just can't win. Maybe it's because I'm cr*p at arguing but they just go on and on about it. So how do I stop it? It's exhausting just to argue with them.
You probably can't help but sign up for those magazines that kids sell door to door, can you? I bet you also are a member of Amway, right? Is it REALLY that difficult to say "NO"?

Old 05-23-2013, 01:56 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,902,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You probably can't help but sign up for those magazines that kids sell door to door, can you? I bet you also are a member of Amway, right? Is it REALLY that difficult to say "NO"?
I have a difficult time saying 'no', in part because I have a chronic fear of offending people.

But anyway...

There's a quote (one of my favorites):

Quote:
''Just say 'No' prevents teenage pregnancy the way 'Have a nice day' cures chronic depression'.
Regardless of how often or how loudly you say it, there are going to be some who simply don't listen.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:53 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,408,904 times
Quote:
I have a few religious friends
Nothing you describe appears to fit anything I would define as a "friend". Trying to change who you are is not the actions of a friend. Threatening you is not the actions of a friend. My advice? Change "friends".

Quote:
if I don't believe in Him I will burn in hell for all eternity
I had a guy in the street stop me once and espouse pretty much the same things. I simply walked over to a near by police man and informed him I was being threatened by someone trying to sell me a religious product. Last I saw the man was being led to a patrol car.

You are being threatened here by someone trying to manipulate you through fear and intimidation. Inform the authorities. If I called to your door selling mops and threatened you with pain and agony if you did not buy, I would be locked up. The same should be true here. It is time we stop expecting the law to turn a blind eye when religion is involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckd83 View Post
Be thankful you have friends who care about you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Or put up with it if you value their friendship. They care about you.
Ye and I clearly have very varied definitions on what it means to "care" about someone.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:52 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,902,128 times
Quote:
I have a few religious friends, one being Muslim and others Christians. The one who is Muslim told me that Allah is great, he created the world and everything in it, and if I don't believe in Him I will burn in hell for all eternity on more than one occasion. He also said that if I don't convert to his religion, I better not convert to Judaism (I have a feeling he doesn't like Jews).

The other Christian one, he said that I was 'blind' not to believe in Jesus. He lectured me on how he was the great 'savior' and he died on the cross for our sins etc etc. Also, if I don't believe in him I will burn in hell and beg God to release me because of the undeniable suffering. Oh, he told me that being an atheist means you don't believe in Jesus. But isn't an atheist a person who doesn't believe in any deity?

I have tried to confront those two but I just can't win. Maybe it's because I'm cr*p at arguing but they just go on and on about it. So how do I stop it? It's exhausting just to argue with them.
You don't need to argue -- you don't need to justify your choices to anyone but yourself.

What I would do, in your shoes, is sit down with them and say something like this:

'The two of you obviously have very strong faith, and I admire and respect that. Unfortunately, for various reasons, I can't bring myself to believe in what you believe, and your attempts to convert me are really placing a strain on our friendship.'

You don't need to say any more than that; if they respect and value your friendship, they'll understand what you're saying and stop preaching at you.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:40 AM

5,989 posts, read 10,519,153 times
In some states, if somebody threatens you in your home, you can legally shoot them!

Old 05-24-2013, 01:16 PM

995 posts, read 961,801 times
Quote:

Tell them that you are the Rider from Rev19 and that your ministry is to throw both Muhammad and Moses, and their false "God(s)" into the Lake of Fire, and that the worst thing ever inflicted upon mankind to have occurred was having a "Messiah" enable and empower the false Prophets and their terrorism by performing miracles on Satan's behalf.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:17 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,104,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider's Pantheon View Post
Tell them that you are the Rider from Rev19 and that your ministry is to throw both Muhammad and Moses, and their false "God(s)" into the Lake of Fire, and that the worst thing ever inflicted upon mankind to have occurred was having a "Messiah" enable and empower the false Prophets and their terrorism by performing miracles on Satan's behalf.
What rider? one Rider is the named which calls itself Jesus, other riders are just humans that fight that demon with their own demons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality