Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 01:23 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
What I want to know is how to stop non-religious from trying to convert ME.
Now why,.. would anybody want to try to convert you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 01:25 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Make up your own religion and insist THEY convert to yours.

This totally helped me get rid of some door to door Baptists once.

Old 05-25-2014, 03:28 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
If, after repeatedly telling them you aren't interested in discussing religion and they refuse to stop, it's time to find new friends.
If you make it plain to them that you want them to mind their own business, but they repeatedly ignore your wishes, they're not very good friends in the first place. I'd tell them to get lost, because friendship is based upon respect, and they clearly do not respect you.

This is exactly why I don't have very many deeply religious friends. Many of them not only do not understand the way I think, they are incapable of respecting it. And even of those who do, I don't understand or respect the way they think, because most religions utterly appall me. If they're deeply religious, we have very little in common , and no real basis for close friendship.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:48 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Stop blaspheming Jesus the Christ for what the ignorant religious leaders did. You are railing against their ignorance and superstitious beliefs in a jealous, vengeful God . . . NOT the God Jesus revealed and displayed unambiguously. He smote no one despite scourging and crucifixion . . . and He forgave His torturers and murderers. Get a life and place the blame where it belongs and learn what Christ actually stands for. He is the Maitreya Buddha predicted would emerge and His achievement even through scourging and death is the ultimate proof of His pure Maitri. No other has endured anything close.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider's Pantheon View Post
Jesus was CLEARLY not one to terrorize like Moses and his followers do. His problem is, while his teachings and philosophies did clash with Moses's, Jesus still enables and empowers Moses's influence on the world in the way he taught about who God is. Jesus did not once speak up against Moses and his God for stoning to death innocent people. Jesus ignored their evils, and even gives a positive spin on them. Jesus guides the world into believing that the God in Heaven, is YHWHY. That's the Jesus I know.
You have no interest in understanding Jesus or God. You refuse to recognize that Christ completely refuted every evil thing our ignorant ancient ancestors believed about YHWH. You insist on claiming that Christ supported the evils of YHWH. He did NOT! Your little slander and libel campaign against Jesus is rooted in ignorance and a complete lack of understanding about the revolutionary character of His mission on earth! Go to the Judaism forum and rail against Moses and their version of YHWH all you want . . . it has nothing to do with the version of YHWH Jesus revealed by His life, teachings and death.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:02 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,545,741 times
Just say thanks, I've heard it a million times, now shut the front door.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:18 AM

1,921 posts, read 1,739,487 times
I think your friends should respect your boundaries! If they are your true friends then they technically don't care about your religious background. You can't be friends with people who don't respect your own values and choices.

Now, Islam and Christianity are known for their "promotional" aspect unlike Judaism. The believers of those two religions aim at "converting" as many people as possible to prove that they speak the ultimate truth.

Ultimately, it's your own choice not your parents' or friends'. If your friends can't accept your position on religion then drop them.

Avoid religion talks at all costs.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:37 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,590 times
Just tell them: Me and my cult are trying to usher in a prophecy called The Grand Conjunction that will hurtle all of reality into a consciously evil demi-plane of dread. Cult members will be rewarded with a domain within this plane and an eternity to rule it mostly autonomously.

One of the steps we need to accomplish before this eagerly-anticipated cataclysm occurs is to torture and kill, as a sacrifice, a true believer of every major religion.

(At this point, make a spectacle of looking the person over).

Say, what are you doing next full moon around midnight? I don't think we've killed a believer of <insert the religion of the proselytizer here> yet. I promise - it won't hurt. At least not after you pass out from the pain.

(Here, give the person your best wide, toothy grin.)

Old 05-27-2014, 11:56 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,937,844 times
I tell them I have my own path to Heaven if belief is different. I am courteous to people who are similar belief Christians who want to share the Lord and state that I am a Christian myself as that saves them the spiel as I also have had them visit me while in the hospital

Old 05-27-2014, 11:57 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Tell them the next time they get into religion with you is the last time they will ever talk to you and MEAN IT!

Old 05-27-2014, 11:59 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,840,052 times
No one can make you convert if you dont want to. You have GREAT friends for trying to care about you.

That being said, They need to stop themselves. The bible doesnt tell anyone to shove it down someones throat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality