Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 03:17 PM

61 posts, read 102,838 times

Advertisements

I have a few religious friends, one being Muslim and others Christians. The one who is Muslim told me that Allah is great, he created the world and everything in it, and if I don't believe in Him I will burn in hell for all eternity on more than one occasion. He also said that if I don't convert to his religion, I better not convert to Judaism (I have a feeling he doesn't like Jews).

The other Christian one, he said that I was 'blind' not to believe in Jesus. He lectured me on how he was the great 'savior' and he died on the cross for our sins etc etc. Also, if I don't believe in him I will burn in hell and beg God to release me because of the undeniable suffering. Oh, he told me that being an atheist means you don't believe in Jesus. But isn't an atheist a person who doesn't believe in any deity?

I have tried to confront those two but I just can't win. Maybe it's because I'm cr*p at arguing but they just go on and on about it. So how do I stop it? It's exhausting just to argue with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 03:22 PM

231 posts, read 327,269 times
Be thankful you have friends who care about you.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:25 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,888,666 times
Kick them in the shins very hard next time they pull that crap!

I can't stand people who's belief systems are so fragile that they must antagonize me just to make themselves feel more pious.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:30 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,136,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pac0900 View Post
I have a few religious friends, one being Muslim and others Christians. The one who is Muslim told me that Allah is great, he created the world and everything in it, and if I don't believe in Him I will burn in hell for all eternity on more than one occasion. He also said that if I don't convert to his religion, I better not convert to Judaism (I have a feeling he doesn't like Jews).

The other Christian one, he said that I was 'blind' not to believe in Jesus. He lectured me on how he was the great 'savior' and he died on the cross for our sins etc etc. Also, if I don't believe in him I will burn in hell and beg God to release me because of the undeniable suffering. Oh, he told me that being an atheist means you don't believe in Jesus. But isn't an atheist a person who doesn't believe in any deity?

I have tried to confront those two but I just can't win. Maybe it's because I'm cr*p at arguing but they just go on and on about it. So how do I stop it? It's exhausting just to argue with them.
They don't sound like very good friends.

My best friend is a born again christian and I'm a staunch atheist. We can still discuss the issue in a friendly manner. Luckily he is not a Bible literalist. I'd probably have trouble maintaining the friendship if that was the case.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:47 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,172,280 times
If, after repeatedly telling them you aren't interested in discussing religion and they refuse to stop, it's time to find new friends.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:54 PM

231 posts, read 327,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
They don't sound like very good friends.

My best friend is a born again christian and I'm a staunch atheist. We can still discuss the issue in a friendly manner. Luckily he is not a Bible literalist. I'd probably have trouble maintaining the friendship if that was the case.
There's no such thing as luck. Him not being a Bible literalist is a result of countless preceding events arranging the atoms in his mind to fire the electrical impulses in his brain to think the things he thinks. Same goes for you being an atheist. And your friendship. Your trouble or lack thereof to maintain it is again a result of material randomly acting in such a fashion to result in what you experience today (if you want to call it experience).

Old 05-01-2013, 04:02 PM

391 posts, read 840,585 times
Quote:

Just do what I do. Tell them " You live that kind of lifestyle, but I am not into that kind of thing or interested."

Old 05-01-2013, 05:14 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,550,836 times
Quote:

You can either directly tell them you do not want to hear their arguments or indirectly by changing the topic or that you have to go somewhere. Another approach if they don't want to hear you is to simply tell them you do not want to put up with their lack of respect in forcing their issues on you.
Another one I have used when someone brings up the point again is by asking "Do you have anything new that I have not heard on the subject? If not, I do not want to hear it again, thanks." Take care.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:19 PM

1,790 posts, read 1,864,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
If, after repeatedly telling them you aren't interested in discussing religion and they refuse to stop, it's time to find new friends.
This.

I walked away from a lot of people I called friends when I converted to Judaism. They couldn't handle me leaving Christianity, and couldn't handle being surrounded by jackasses.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:51 PM

25,943 posts, read 22,094,372 times
You need to tell them what you have told us and see if they will agree to a religious promotion free friendship. If they won't, it is time to get new friends since these friends seem to preoccupied with religion. There are subjects that with family and friends, knowing we don't agree or that I don't wish to change whatever, it is just not discussed or I change the subject when they bring it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality