Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 02:00 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,400,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
He can't. At least not with Christianity. Muslims, of course, have forced conversions all the time in the Middle East. I'd suggest he get some intestinal fortitude and tell them he isn't interested, or he opens his mind to consider it.
Do you think they learnt that from the history of Holy Roman Church? Convert or die by the sword/torture etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 05:39 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,721,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLess View Post
Convert to Christianity.... Your Christian friend wants you to be happy, blessed and loved.
Or Islam, since your Muslim friends want the same thing. Or become Hindu, since your Hindu friends also want to you be happy.

For bonus points, convert to all of them at once and make everyone happy!

Old 05-03-2013, 09:12 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,208,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pac0900 View Post
I have a few religious friends, one being Muslim and others Christians. The one who is Muslim told me that Allah is great, he created the world and everything in it, and if I don't believe in Him I will burn in hell for all eternity on more than one occasion. He also said that if I don't convert to his religion, I better not convert to Judaism (I have a feeling he doesn't like Jews).

The other Christian one, he said that I was 'blind' not to believe in Jesus. He lectured me on how he was the great 'savior' and he died on the cross for our sins etc etc. Also, if I don't believe in him I will burn in hell and beg God to release me because of the undeniable suffering. Oh, he told me that being an atheist means you don't believe in Jesus. But isn't an atheist a person who doesn't believe in any deity?

I have tried to confront those two but I just can't win. Maybe it's because I'm cr*p at arguing but they just go on and on about it. So how do I stop it? It's exhausting just to argue with them.
Seems as if you have awfully pushy and arrogant friends. Maybe you should trade them in for a whole new set.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:37 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,421,397 times
2pac, have u done any of what we have suggested yet?

...2pac? You there?

Old 05-03-2013, 10:14 AM

588 posts, read 797,217 times
I think that he should just blaspheme the holy spirit right in front of them. After that, he'll be considered a hopeless case.

Luke 12:10 And everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:22 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,574,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pac0900 View Post
I have a few religious friends, one being Muslim and others Christians. The one who is Muslim told me that Allah is great, he created the world and everything in it, and if I don't believe in Him I will burn in hell for all eternity on more than one occasion. He also said that if I don't convert to his religion, I better not convert to Judaism (I have a feeling he doesn't like Jews).

The other Christian one, he said that I was 'blind' not to believe in Jesus. He lectured me on how he was the great 'savior' and he died on the cross for our sins etc etc. Also, if I don't believe in him I will burn in hell and beg God to release me because of the undeniable suffering. Oh, he told me that being an atheist means you don't believe in Jesus. But isn't an atheist a person who doesn't believe in any deity?

I have tried to confront those two but I just can't win. Maybe it's because I'm cr*p at arguing but they just go on and on about it. So how do I stop it? It's exhausting just to argue with them.

Thats the narcississm of many religions. You're not believing in their deity!

Anyway, the answer is to say "Uh huh"

Old 05-03-2013, 01:37 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,221,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
He can't. At least not with Christianity. Muslims, of course, have forced conversions all the time in the Middle East.
OP: If someone tries to convert you and they slip in something negative about Islam - or any other religion - walk away.

A person who wants to share their beliefs with you should NOT be talking trash about other religions. There is no need.

If a Christian is trying to convert you he/she should be strong enough in their own faith to let it stand on its own. Christ is enough. Followers of Christ should not be dissing other religions and getting their little digs in to tell you about Christianity. That's just ridiculous.

(As is making you half nuts in their attempts to convert you. THAT'S just nuts. If you've reached the point of "exhaustion" when talking with them, it's them.... not you.)

Last edited by DewDropInn; 05-03-2013 at 01:59 PM..

Old 05-03-2013, 02:09 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,736,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Or Islam, since your Muslim friends want the same thing. Or become Hindu, since your Hindu friends also want to you be happy.

For bonus points, convert to all of them at once and make everyone happy!
Yes. He'd make such a nice Jewish boy!

Old 05-03-2013, 04:25 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,136,631 times
I would say, 'let's not talk about religion, I like you as a friend but let me decide on my religion, that is, if we are to continue as friends'.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:17 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,143,059 times
Default How do I stop religious people trying to convert me?

From what I've heard an upside down cross tattooed in the middle of your forehead works amazingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality