Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 03:24 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,901,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Christians don't earn salvation by adding notches to their belts. I'm not sure what your point is.
Nana's point is that it's easy to claim that one is a 'Christian', but most of those that claim to be 'devout' just do it because they want to (excuse the expression) lord their supposed 'moral superiority' over those around them.

Personally, I say 'I'm not interested' and leave it at that. No reasons, no apologies -- I'm just flat-out not interested. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt and the free bumper sticker.

If they don't get the hint...well, then, there's always the age-old tactic of hammering on a church door during Sunday services and handing out my own religious documents to whoever answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 07:18 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,744,481 times
You'll find that there are only certain types of people you can be friends with if you want to avoid this situation. I used to be a lot more tolerant of that, but now that I am Jewish, before I become close with a person, I have to make sure they are going to be supportive. They don't have to believe what I believe, but they can't constantly try to change my mind.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:20 PM

2,008 posts, read 1,998,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pac0900 View Post
I have a few religious friends, one being Muslim and others Christians. The one who is Muslim told me that Allah is great, he created the world and everything in it, and if I don't believe in Him I will burn in hell for all eternity on more than one occasion. He also said that if I don't convert to his religion, I better not convert to Judaism (I have a feeling he doesn't like Jews).

The other Christian one, he said that I was 'blind' not to believe in Jesus. He lectured me on how he was the great 'savior' and he died on the cross for our sins etc etc. Also, if I don't believe in him I will burn in hell and beg God to release me because of the undeniable suffering. Oh, he told me that being an atheist means you don't believe in Jesus. But isn't an atheist a person who doesn't believe in any deity?

I have tried to confront those two but I just can't win. Maybe it's because I'm cr*p at arguing but they just go on and on about it. So how do I stop it? It's exhausting just to argue with them.
here is a solution. stop hanging out with the religious crowd

Old 05-02-2013, 07:39 PM

21,017 posts, read 19,546,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
You'll find that there are only certain types of people
you can be friends with if you want to avoid this situation. I
used to be a lot more tolerant of that, but now that I am Jewish,
before I become close with a person, I have to make sure they are going to be supportive.
They don't have to believe what I believe, but they can't constantly try to change my mind.
Just for a second...I don't get it...I know what a balabusta is...what's the hidden meaning? Not hijacking thread.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:47 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,744,481 times
Maker of a Jewish home in the Bible Belt. No small task some days.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:09 PM

21,017 posts, read 19,546,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
Maker of a Jewish home in the Bible Belt. No small task some days.
Dah, thank you. I miss read it as 'in balabusta"..I was so confused. And yes it is not
so easy being Jewish in the South!! You're right.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:03 PM

89,057 posts, read 85,670,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Won't somebody answer???

How can he convert to something in which he does not believe?
He can't. I think they are implying that he should PRETEND to convert, which is stupid. I'd rather see someone be a straight-up atheist than to be in the church pretending to believe something he couldn't really believe in.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:35 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,007,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pac0900 View Post
I have a few religious friends, one being Muslim and others Christians. The one who is Muslim told me that Allah is great, he created the world and everything in it, and if I don't believe in Him I will burn in hell for all eternity on more than one occasion. He also said that if I don't convert to his religion, I better not convert to Judaism (I have a feeling he doesn't like Jews).

The other Christian one, he said that I was 'blind' not to believe in Jesus. He lectured me on how he was the great 'savior' and he died on the cross for our sins etc etc. Also, if I don't believe in him I will burn in hell and beg God to release me because of the undeniable suffering. Oh, he told me that being an atheist means you don't believe in Jesus. But isn't an atheist a person who doesn't believe in any deity?

I have tried to confront those two but I just can't win. Maybe it's because I'm cr*p at arguing but they just go on and on about it. So how do I stop it? It's exhausting just to argue with them.
Next time, set a glass of water in front of them. Ask them, how many names can they give the water in that glass. Each language on earth has it's own name for the water in that glass. Now, which language has the correct name for that water?

Same with GOD. Every religion has their own name for GOD. Which one is right?

Now, if they can't give you a reasonable answer, they don't have the correct name, and you don't have to believe in any of them.

Also, there is a text that predates both the Bible and the Qu'ran bu a few thousand years. But, because of the fact that all three run "neck and neck" throughout from creation to the great flood, it is the ancestor of both. In that text, the Name of GOD is "AN" or "ANU", depending on the context in which it is used. Yet, neither of them believe in HIM. Tell them, there is no GOD but AN, and see what happens.

(Do a little reading of the ancient clay tablets form Sumer, and check out the Sumerian Pantheon for more information. Give them the impression that you have not converted to either of theirs.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:56 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,436,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlucas57 View Post
Just convert. Then people will stop trying to convert you. If you can't beat us join us, right?
Could you make yourself believe Santa Claus was real?

Old 05-03-2013, 01:58 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,436,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Won't somebody answer???

How can he convert to something in which he does not believe?
He could have a lobotomy first?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality