Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 07:16 PM

21,017 posts, read 19,546,315 times

Advertisements

Be more confident than they are.
Be happier than they are.
Be more generous than they are.
Be kinder than they are.
Enjoy life more than they do.
Never complain, whine or have regrets.
Be constantly at peace.
Date all the women they'd love to.
Be humble and enthusiastic about life at the same time.

Well, you get the idea...then smile whenever they talk to you.
Just smile with complete contentment.

That shouldn't take very long before they will be asking you, What's your secret?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 08:12 PM

17,183 posts, read 23,051,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pac0900 View Post
I have a few religious friends, one being Muslim and others Christians. The one who is Muslim told me that Allah is great, he created the world and everything in it, and if I don't believe in Him I will burn in hell for all eternity on more than one occasion. He also said that if I don't convert to his religion, I better not convert to Judaism (I have a feeling he doesn't like Jews).

The other Christian one, he said that I was 'blind' not to believe in Jesus. He lectured me on how he was the great 'savior' and he died on the cross for our sins etc etc. Also, if I don't believe in him I will burn in hell and beg God to release me because of the undeniable suffering. Oh, he told me that being an atheist means you don't believe in Jesus. But isn't an atheist a person who doesn't believe in any deity?

I have tried to confront those two but I just can't win. Maybe it's because I'm cr*p at arguing but they just go on and on about it. So how do I stop it? It's exhausting just to argue with them.
Point the Christian to this video

Why won't God heal amputees? Avoidance of the question... - YouTube

Point the Islamic one to:
TheIslammiracle - YouTube

Then tell them that if they cannot watch the refutation of their beliefs, they have no business questioning your non-belief.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:19 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,164,743 times
I don't let it bother me. I'm sure in their eyes, they're doing the right thing. I just smile and change the subject. Period.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:41 PM

796 posts, read 1,167,474 times
Convert to Christianity.... Your Christian friend wants you to be happy, blessed and loved.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:25 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,461,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLess View Post
Convert to Christianity.... Your Christian friend wants you to be happy, blessed and loved.
So, Christians are the only ones who can be happy, blessed and loved?

Old 05-01-2013, 10:23 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,381,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Point the Christian to this video

Why won't God heal amputees? Avoidance of the question... - YouTube

Point the Islamic one to:
TheIslammiracle - YouTube

Then tell them that if they cannot watch the refutation of their beliefs, they have no business questioning your non-belief.
I'd be happy to see a pinky toe grow back, never mind an entire limb.
But noooooooo!

Old 05-01-2013, 10:42 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,034,455 times
I'm not partial to tact or diplomacy so I'd be brutally honest with them.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:42 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,924,125 times
Quote:
I have a few religious friends, one being Muslim and others Christians. The one who is Muslim told me that Allah is great, he created the world and everything in it, and if I don't believe in Him I will burn in hell for all eternity on more than one occasion. He also said that if I don't convert to his religion, I better not convert to Judaism (I have a feeling he doesn't like Jews).

The other Christian one, he said that I was 'blind' not to believe in Jesus. He lectured me on how he was the great 'savior' and he died on the cross for our sins etc etc. Also, if I don't believe in him I will burn in hell and beg God to release me because of the undeniable suffering. Oh, he told me that being an atheist means you don't believe in Jesus. But isn't an atheist a person who doesn't believe in any deity?

I have tried to confront those two but I just can't win. Maybe it's because I'm cr*p at arguing but they just go on and on about it. So how do I stop it? It's exhausting just to argue with them.
Here's what to do with the Christian.

Tell him to open his Bible at Mark 16 and read aloud from verses 17 and 18:

"And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well."

Then go to the bathroom and get some very powerful toilet bleach. Pour them a glass, draw their attention to the part that says "... and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all, then ask them to drink from the glass. When they refuse to do so, ask them why they are expecting you to believe something that they clearly don't believe themselves.

P.S Word of warning: It might be best to use an empty bleach bottle that has been filled with water. Some of them are crazy enough to believe the verse and drink!

Old 05-02-2013, 12:56 AM

580 posts, read 968,358 times
Quote:

Convert to Buddhism. Just kidding. Well, if you want...

Anyway, what I usually do is kind of avoid the subject. If they talk to you about it nod your head and say you'll think about it or something. Probably not the best or even good advice (heck, this is probably downright awful advice) when it comes to this but it's what I can come up with. I've talked with LDS missionaries and have told them I like my current religious provider. We talked a little about some of the historical and biological inaccuracies that I saw in the Book of Mormon (no offense to any LDS people out there) and we debated for a while. Of course, I like talking about religion so I'm probably different from you.

That's what I think anyway.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:59 AM

50,147 posts, read 20,940,505 times
I find a smiling 'I don't do religion' works quite well, but there is no cure for the persistent religious nagger but to have a good sound argument as to why Bible -religion doesn't stand up. Take down the OT and Judaism, Christianity and Islam all go with it. Mormonism, too.

They will always be coming back with cut and paste stuff they want you to answer or explain or else convert. That will never change until in Random Factors' Good Time, religion is no more shoved in your face than astrology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality