Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2013, 12:55 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,087,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
You as a Christian say that you followed the teachings of your messiah and yet you also say that some of those who call themselves Christian take his teachings literally and out of context and then you'd make reference to the fact that they're not Christian. So tell me, who or what is a Christian? Is it one who follows the teachings of your sacred book literally or not? You see this is where it gets very confusing, some Christians claim that others are not real Christians, so what is a real Christian?

In response to your last sentence; that's good advice but you contradicted yourself with that statement because your very first response in this thread was not to listen to others and assume that everybody was Christian when they're not.
In response to the bolded. Exactly... it is confusing. Each individual is walking around with their own definition and/or concept of what a Christian is.

As an example, in basic terms I would generally define a Christian as someone who accepts Jesus Christ as the son of God. I would not tie it to the level of their literal or allegorical interpretation of the bible.

Yet, even here, some Christians may not consider other's to be Christians who fit this basic definition. In fact, I even know one individual who claims to be a Christian, and also freely admits they do not believe Jesus was the son of God.

Ultimately for the purpose of theological discussion, maybe taking the definition in a broader sense is more appropriate, but only if that means we do not paint the broad picture with all of the attributes of a narrow cross section (which happens very frequently).

Old 03-05-2013, 01:12 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,683,744 times
Quote:
And I suppose you going to say that it's because it's "written in their sacred book"....... You know just because it's written in a book doesn't mean it's true.
Sure it's "true" ptsum.
Forget the "sacred books"...forget the "ancient stories/fables"...they are inconsequential to the "trueness" of the Deities they tell about.

It's true to them, and to their "way". Which is all it needs to be "true"
The same way Allah is "true" to the Muslims.
The same way the Creator, Great Spirit, or any other perceived entity of that genre, is "true" to the NDNs.
The same way ANY "God", or any other "Higher Power", is "true" to the person that has that perception.

In this way...the Abrahamic "God" is as "true" as any other...books, fables, and opposing views, notwithstanding.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:16 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,686,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Sure it's "true" ptsum.
Forget the "sacred books"...forget the "ancient stories/fables"...they are inconsequential to the "trueness" of the Deities they tell about.

It's true to them, and to their "way". Which is all it needs to be "true"
The same way Allah is "true" to the Muslims.
The same way the Creator, Great Spirit, or any other perceived entity of that genre, is "true" to the NDNs.
The same way ANY "God", or any other "Higher Power", is "true" to the person that has that perception.

In this way...the Abrahamic "God" is as "true" as any other...books, fables, and opposing views, notwithstanding.

You know I won't disagree with you on this, but I don't see where anything of any great good can be accomplished by ridiculing and criticizing another person's belief or culture, a great deal more could be accomplished through a little bit of toleration and respect and realizing that not everybody believes the same as you do...

Old 03-05-2013, 03:03 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,683,744 times
Quote:
You know I won't disagree with you on this, but I don't see where anything of any great good can be accomplished by ridiculing and criticizing another person's belief or culture, a great deal more could be accomplished through a little bit of toleration and respect and realizing that not everybody believes the same as you do...
And, what you've written here is great truth ptsum.

As you have said here---"Tolerance & Respect" toward all (as long as they aren't causing any harm, of course)...THAT is the best thing.

I lived most of my adult life as an Atheist...and I must admit that I was rather critical and rude, and felt a kind of negative vibe, toward others that I felt were being foolish and too stubborn to see the error in their thinking.

Well...now I perceive "God". Not any kind of particular "God"...a "Source Entity/ Creator" that I refer to as "God".
I perceive a "Spirit" or "Conscious Energy" that I view as inherent to all creatures...that I believe continues on after the life in their body expires.
Probably very similar to the perception held by many of the Native Americans over the ages. Of course, my Belief and perception is unique to me...as is everyones.
But what has changed from when I was Atheist...I have no negative attitude toward anyone for their Belief or Perception...no matter what it is they profess to believe or if they endorse the general Atheist Concept I used to embrace.
This has helped me to be a happier person...I was happy to begin with, since that is my basic personality...but I now feel greater happiness in the contentment department.

Matter of fact...the thing I am intolerant about...is intolerance. I'm biased toward bias. I have a prejudicial feeling toward prejudice. And the only thing I hate...is hate.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:45 PM

1,755 posts, read 3,006,154 times
Quote:
And I suppose you going to say that it's because it's "written in their sacred book"....... You know just because it's written in a book doesn't mean it's true.
But then why is lovesMountain's response and issue? :/ If it's your opinion that there's more than one god, what is it to you or anyone else that lovesMountain or millions of others believe that there's only one? Every religion has a "book" and we can all say that just because it's written in a book doesn't make it true. But it's certainly true for lovesMountain(and me, btw) and she said that she speaks with God daily and He speaks back to her heart (also my experience).

From my experience...there's only one. *nods*

Old 03-05-2013, 03:48 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,710,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalite View Post
But then why is lovesMountain's response and issue? :/ If it's your opinion that there's more than one god, what is it to you or anyone else that lovesMountain or millions of others believe that there's only one? Every religion has a "book" and we can all say that just because it's written in a book doesn't make it true. But it's certainly true for lovesMountain(and me, btw) and she said that she speaks with God daily and He speaks back to her heart (also my experience).

I can answer that. Because different people have different illusions and halluciantions, according to what they want to hear and/or explain.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
I can answer that. Because different people have different illusions and halluciantions, according to what they want to hear and/or explain.
Amaznjohn, if your explanation fits perfectly in your offline life, I really can't say a word. But from reading this post alone, I could say the same to you. Nevertheless, if you haven't experienced anything that goes beyond rational explanation then you just won't know, will never know, until you do. :/

Old 03-05-2013, 05:30 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,710,938 times
Quote:
Amaznjohn, if your explanation fits perfectly in your offline life, I really can't say a word. But from reading this post alone, I could say the same to you. Nevertheless, if you haven't experienced anything that goes beyond rational explanation then you just won't know, will never know, until you do. :/
Hallucinations and illusions are proven to exist, while supernatural revelations, conversations, and visions are not. So, which is the more likely?

Old 03-05-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Hallucinations and illusions are proven to exist, while supernatural revelations, conversations, and visions are not. So, which is the more likely?
The one I know to be true of course😕 it just so happens that these things have yet to be proven but just because something has not yet been proven by science does NOT mean that it isn't true. Do know where your faith lies. Even science recants it's statements.

Like I said, some things you will not know unless you've had experience with it. Beyond that, you're taking a stab in the dark. But I see you trudging forward with faith nonetheless.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:52 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,686,418 times
Quote:

Her response is really not an issue with me, however I would like to point out to her that there are more than one religion and culture in this country and that her earlier remarks were of the assumption that everybody belong to the same religion that she did and that would be a fatal mistake.
How she wishes to believe the way she does, that's fine and she's entitled to do just that, whatever that belief may be, but don't tell others that she finds it ridiculous that others don't believe the same as she does.
If she wants to talk to her God and she believes that her God talks to her, that's entirely her perception and she is more than entitled to it, I have had many conversations with my Creator and if I ever get the opportunity to personally meet him I'll invite him for a cup of coffee and we can sit and have a long conversation......... Not every religion or culture has a book to instruct them, my cultural belief has no such thing. All of the ceremonies and sacred ceremonies have been passed down one generation to the next orally, there's nothing written.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.