Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2013, 01:47 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,214,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
Well if you want to play that way-
You ask if you are arguing with children, you are not old enough to get away with that statement! Having that kind of attitude will not get you very far in your endevours.
If anything, I'm the one 'arguing' with a child.
I'm much older than you and the author I quoted, much much older, experienced and educated than both of us put together.
And, YOU are the one arguing. I'm just giving my thoughts on the subject and you firmly disagree with it and tell me I am wrong. Again I ask, what makes you an authority on the subject? I have not told you that your perception of god it wrong. Come out of your progrmming and accept the fact that there is more to 'god' than what it says in the bible, that there is more to god within the minds of man.
The biblical god is not the oldest god created on this planet. Many many gods came before the biblical god.
So what makes these gods 'nothing' and the biblical god the only god?
I have attended Christian school, and because I am not 'a believer' I asked a lot of questions. Of my peers, most defined god as you have, but not all. Even the Christian's have varied definitions. Heck, I saw a documentary and they where speaking to a bishop type from the Vatican and someone asked something about the white beard image and the Vatican guy laughed and said no, god it not like that, and his definition- a concept! Love, peace, compassion.
How can I explain the 2+2y = X.....and that you can put what ever number you want as X.
Bombarding you? This is my third post- how many have you made?
Boring false logic- now that's a winner! False logic.....wow.
How much logic is there in 'god cannot be what ever one says it is because that's not what it says in the bible'
Now there's some real logic.
And the crazy guy talking to the potato. Hahahaha! He's crazy! He does not know what to believe. Today it's a potato, tomorrow it will be a lamp.
I at least have been consistant my whole life in what I believe.
I mentioned gods that predate the bible in the first post.
Please stop putting words in my mouth and say I didn't

Old 02-28-2013, 01:57 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,668,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
No.
A person who thinks a donkey is a table is not correct.
Just like a person who labels "anything" as "god" is not right.

Such as nature.
Nature has a title already.

God is by definition a being.
Nature is not a being.
This is where you are messing up.

"God" may be a being by YOUR definition...but you cannot be so arrogant as to demand that others must adhere to that same definition. Well, you can...but that won't change that your demand is impotent.

Just like not all "heros" are Soldiers, or First Responders, or Supermen...they are whoever anyone perceives as a "hero" to THEM...even if they aren't to YOU.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:41 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,214,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
This is where you are messing up.

"God" may be a being by YOUR definition...but you cannot be so arrogant as to demand that others must adhere to that same definition. Well, you can...but that won't change that your demand is impotent.

Just like not all "heros" are Soldiers, or First Responders, or Supermen...they are whoever anyone perceives as a "hero" to THEM...even if they aren't to YOU.
Hero and the application of its definition has nothing to do with god.
I am not the authoritative figure on the definition of god.
The english languge is.
And nature is not god in this language or in a thesaurus or in a dictionary.
Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 03-02-2013 at 06:03 AM.. Reason: attack

Old 02-28-2013, 03:11 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,673,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
The presented question is why one does not believe in a religion that is not their own. I'm going to change that a bit. Why one believes in a religion that is not their own.
I am well aware that the N/A spirituity is not a religion but for the sake of the discussion, we will let that slide- besides, I'm not religious either. I'm breaking all kinds of rules- whoo hoo!
I very much admire the Native ways. And while I am more 'white' than I am Asian, I DO understand the native ways, and my 'way' is very much akin to the N/A. Maybe that's because I do have a bit of the genetics for an island mentality? On an island, people really need to be able to get along as well as care for each other.
The idea that status is achieved by how much you give and help others makes way more sense to me than how big someone's house is. 'Oooo, look how big your house is and what you have done for yourself! Awesome..... What have you done for your brother that sleeps in a cardboard box?'
Much of the social problems would not be if more people walked a lifestyle that is of the essence of the N/A spirituality.
That's why I believe in it.
This is the Love side of my 'god'.
OwlKaMyst, this is something that the established religions seem to lose sight of. Most indigenous people are family and as such it is incumbent upon us, as family to look after each other, from the smallest new born to the oldest and wisest of our family's, they are all of value to the family.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:27 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,131,814 times
I always liked the commandment "Thou shalt have no other gods before me." because to me it implies that the Christian God acknowledges the existence of other gods so that means they must actually be real.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:09 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,934,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post

And all I can say about all that is...Oh, Well!! Better get used to it! Because NOTHING is EVER going to change it...short of a monster asteroid wacking into Earth.
FLASH! Brace Yourselves.... This just in!

Giant Asteroid Will, in all likelihood, probably and/or possibly, one day soon, or not, STRIKE THE EARTH AND OBLITERATE ALL LIFE FORMS (...but leaving unscathed those clever organisms who can obviously & rapidly evolve into far higher-IQ lifeforms, bypassing the intellectually and religiously disorganized and distraught, the hate-filled [Q: is hatred of your fellow hominid a possible genetic trait? or is it limited to the typically religious zealots who post here so often? Seems so...] kindred likes of us religiously silly, logically hindered & technically illiterate peons?)

I dunno, Gldn old pal. Lemmee know when you have The One True Answer, Literally (TOTAL!).

Old 02-28-2013, 05:09 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,668,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post

Giant Asteroid Will, in all likelihood, probably and/or possibly, one day soon, or not, STRIKE THE EARTH AND OBLITERATE ALL LIFE FORMS (...but leaving unscathed those clever organisms who can obviously & rapidly evolve into far higher-IQ lifeforms, bypassing the intellectually and religiously disorganized and distraught, the hate-filled [Q: is hatred of your fellow hominid a possible genetic trait? or is it limited to the typically religious zealots who post here so often? Seems so...] kindred likes of us religiously silly, logically hindered & technically illiterate peons?)

I dunno, Gldn old pal. Lemmee know when you have The One True Answer, Literally (TOTAL!).
No worry.
If it's a male asteroid...just give me the coordinates...I'll wait for it, and time a perfect right uppercut, and bop that sucker right back into orbit!

If it is a female asteroid...I'll jump in a rocket...get its attention...and charm it with the promise of the chance to experience unbridled pleasure, to lure it away from the Earth.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:45 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,998,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartygurl View Post
I always liked the commandment "Thou shalt have no other gods before me." because to me it implies that the Christian God acknowledges the existence of other gods so that means they must actually be real.
Of course there are other gods, gods made by human hands of wood, metal and clay, gods that cannot hear or do anything.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post

According to the law of thermodynamics, mankind cannot evolve to something greater but always something lesser as is the case with all organisms.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
I asked why any religious person does not believe in a religion that is not theirs.
That is a wrong question. The correct question is: How is it that a person born into Islam, with the outcome that, should they leave their native religion and be given faith by the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, that they believe Christ died for their sins, would do so knowing the results would be, well, let's just say, devastating to their life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.