Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2013, 03:50 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,712,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
I mentioned gods that predate the bible in the first post.
Please stop putting words in my mouth and say I didn't
Please, tell me, what words did I put into your mouth?....say you didn't what? You are not making much sense here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Native American: 711 Gods, Heroes, and Anthropomorphized Facets of Nature
Hmmm, heroes and nature.....go figure.

I highly doubt you will venture a read but; Pantheism (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)
god is nature, god is the cosmos, god is all. A concept and perception of god that is older than the Abrahamic religions.

Another definition of GOD
Gold
Oil
Drugs
.....these are all things that people worship whether they admit to it or not.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:13 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,699,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
"Admitting?!!"---That's what I been tryin' to tell ya!!
Anybody can create a "God" out of anything or anybody...all they have to do is perceive it/them as a "God".

Same way all that giant list of "Gods" you listed came to be "Gods".

But here is the difference. You imply they aren't "God" because they are created by man. I state that they are "Gods" by that.
You define a "God" so narrowly...you feel "created Gods" are not "God".
But...the FACT is...the definition of "God" is much broader than that. I already proved that to you.
Though you don't want to accept that...because then you have to accept "God(s) Exist"...and your Godophobia will getcha!

A few years back I started a thread that was titled: "God didn't create Man, Man created God"......... To explain the unexplained...The superstition....After all that's what religion is, a superstition.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:55 AM

45,217 posts, read 101,038,908 times
[quote=ptsum;28490174][color=navy]A few years back I started a thread that was titled: "God didn't create Man, Man created God"......... To explain the unexplained...

Sadly, many people do believe this. It brings them great comfort and allows them to feel good about the choices they make to answer to no one but themselves.

But here's the thing - I know God created man because I know God. You don't know God, so you don't believe in him, which is not only your right, it's actually a privilege of the free will God has so graciously given you, lol.

I know I am not going to be able to convince you of any of that, and I'm not going to even try - because that's not my job.

My job is to "love my neighbor", and I am loving you and all others who don't believe as I do by just respecting your right to believe what you believe So, carry on!

Old 03-02-2013, 07:44 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,380,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Thank you Alacran, you just proved the Bible correct:

1Co 8:5-6 For even if so be that there are those being termed gods, whether in heaven or on earth, even as there are
many gods and many lords, (6) nevertheless for us there is one God, the Father, out of Whom all is, and we for Him, and
one Lord, Jesus Christ, through Whom all is, and we through Him."

The above shows God is the source of all and Christ the channel of all that is.
Surprisingly, it appears that a believer has no concept of what constitutes 'proof'

Old 03-03-2013, 12:59 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,101,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
It seems many are afraid of G-O-D.
And when I proclaim myself a Gnostic Theist...OH MAN!...some go off the deep end! Then I hear, "You don't KNOW God exists!...NO ONE knows!"
They just don't realize that MY perception of God...that conforms to MY definition of God...does exist--For sure!
I'm not so arrogant to think MY perception and definition of God is the only one there is. I also don't have any problem what-so-ever with the "No God" concept being held. Matter of fact...I fully realize not everyone perceives a God.
On the other had...it seems some insist their definition/perception of "God" or "No God" be the only one that is acceptable for anyone to hold.

Moderator cut: Orphaned
I suppose that is understandable Gldn,

But IMHO, you can't be Epistemologically Gnostic (to my standards), that would require you to be more than human, more than sentient. Incapable of doubt to a degree that would make you INFERIOR (in that sense) to those who are capable of it, while also being lucky that your lack of doubt coincided with reality. I would call you a sure theist, but no more than that . Although by your previous posts I question if you definition of gods matches mine. For sure, I would say your posts definitively reveal you to be currently a "sure believer that gods exist as concepts".

Last edited by june 7th; 03-08-2013 at 06:22 AM..

Old 03-03-2013, 01:18 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,101,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
[color=navy]A few years back I started a thread that was titled: "God didn't create Man, Man created God"......... To explain the unexplained...

Sadly, many people do believe this. It brings them great comfort and allows them to feel good about the choices they make to answer to no one but themselves.

But here's the thing - I know God created man because I know God. You don't know God, so you don't believe in him, which is not only your right, it's actually a privilege of the free will God has so graciously given you, lol.

I know I am not going to be able to convince you of any of that, and I'm not going to even try - because that's not my job.

My job is to "love my neighbor", and I am loving you and all others who don't believe as I do by just respecting your right to believe what you believe So, carry on!
Sadly you are Saddened. You wish people would not feel good, but would feel sad about God's oppression as you do. Sad enough to change in order to suit the whims of this Demiurge that theists like to worship so much. They knew the Olympians. They Knew Heaven, they knew, they knew, they knew. We don't know, so We don't believe, which is not only our right, but ...*wait, I'm confused*... "actually a privilege" of the Olympian's grace in forcing you to exist.
They know they aren't going to convince you, so they don't even try, they don't take up that burden for the Olympians, since the Olympians exist and should take up that burden themselves.
Their job was to be Greek.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:54 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,718,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post

But IMHO, you can't be Epistemologically Gnostic (to my standards), that would require you to be more than human, more than sentient. Incapable of doubt to a degree that would make you INFERIOR (in that sense) to those who are capable of it, while also being lucky that your lack of doubt coincided with reality. I would call you a sure theist, but no more than that . Although by your previous posts I question if you definition of gods matches mine. For sure, I would say your posts definitively reveal you to be currently a "sure believer that gods exist as concepts".
I think it also hints of arrogance and privilege.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:47 AM

45,217 posts, read 101,038,908 times
Quote:
Sadly you are Saddened. You wish people would not feel good, but would feel sad about God's oppression as you do. Sad enough to change in order to suit the whims of this Demiurge that theists like to worship so much. They knew the Olympians. They Knew Heaven, they knew, they knew, they knew. We don't know, so We don't believe, which is not only our right, but ...*wait, I'm confused*... "actually a privilege" of the Olympian's grace in forcing you to exist.
They know they aren't going to convince you, so they don't even try, they don't take up that burden for the Olympians, since the Olympians exist and should take up that burden themselves.
Their job was to be Greek.
I love to feel good! So much so that I want everyone else to feel as good as I do.

I am only sad that so many choose to believe ridiculous claims about our Lord (like he somehow "oppresses") to the point of denying themselves the joy, peace and serenity they could be experiencing in a relationship with him that I do.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:08 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,699,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I love to feel good! So much so that I want everyone else to feel as good as I do.

I am only sad that so many choose to believe ridiculous claims about our Lord (like he somehow "oppresses") to the point of denying themselves the joy, peace and serenity they could be experiencing in a relationship with him that I do.
I am a little curious as to why you would think other people aren't happy with the way they believe or not believe and why do they have to believe or not believe as you do. Maybe they're not happy with the god that you believe in and would much prefer the one that they believe in because they're happy. Your a typical Christian who wants everybody to believe as you do, but not everybody thinks the same as you do, so why would they want to believe the same as you?

Old 03-03-2013, 10:33 AM

64,148 posts, read 40,475,361 times
Quote:

Gldn can be as Epistemologically Gnostic about God as you are about "Nature" since they are equivalent . . . including the existence of consciousness (which we are evidence of in "Nature").
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality