Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 07:02 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,845,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
You know little about faith my friend. Faith is belief without evidence. I have bought neither of my houses on faith. After I've done my research, I have reasonable expectations based upon the evidence I found. If those expectations aren't fulfilled, I'm disappointed, learn from it and move on, similar to what I did with Christianity years ago.
It seems I must repeat myself. What makes you believe that you're communicating with a god, an extraordinary claim with no evidence, instead of hallucinating, a natural phenomenon explained by science?
Gee, that's not condescending at all

Look, here's the bottom line...spoken by St. Thomas Aquinas

“To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible.”

You guys just want to argue but that's not what this Christian is here for

Let's just agree that we just disagree!

Old 03-05-2013, 07:12 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,703,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

“To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible.”

DUH!!! If one doesn't have faith, any explanation that doesn't include evidence will not suffice. If one relies solely on faith, then contradictory evidence is only an annoyance.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:21 PM

1,755 posts, read 3,002,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
You know little about faith my friend. Faith is belief without evidence. I have bought neither of my houses on faith. After I've done my research, I have reasonable expectations based upon the evidence I found. If those expectations aren't fulfilled, I'm disappointed, learn from it and move on, similar to what I did with Christianity years ago.
It seems I must repeat myself. What makes you believe that you're communicating with a god, an extraordinary claim with no evidence, instead of hallucinating, a natural phenomenon explained by science?
Actually, by definition, faith is simply trust or confidence in someone or something. That's really all there is to it. It just so happens that our faith lies in different things. So what is there to discuss? If you're comfortable in your own beliefs, I don't feel you need to try and convince others.

And for the record, i answered you repeatedly. It's jsut not to your satisfaction.

God bless you and good day.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:29 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,703,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalite View Post
Actually, by definition, faith is simply trust or confidence in someone or something. That's really all there is to it. It just so happens that our faith lies in different things. So what is there to discuss? If you're comfortable in your own beliefs, I don't feel you need to try and convince others.

God bless you and good day.
Yes, faith is trust or confidence in someone or something, WITHOUT EVIDENCE. Yes, I do need to try to convince others, so long as theists try to influence public policy and try to teach these fairy tales to our children.

Quote:
And for the record, i answered you repeatedly. It's jsut not to your satisfaction.
In other words, you can't tell the difference between your communications with your god and hallucinations, except that you have faith in them. Its very clear to me now.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:02 PM

33,575 posts, read 37,209,077 times
Quote:

Faith is the excuse people give when there is no evidence for what they believe, and it is not in any way a path to truth.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:04 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,845,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Faith is the excuse people give when there is no evidence for what they believe, and it is not in any way a path to truth.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:38 PM

33,575 posts, read 37,209,077 times
Quote:
A child has faith that the tooth fairy will come while she is asleep and exchange a dollar for her tooth...It takes as much faith to believe in god as it does to believe in the tooth fairy ...I do not have faith, nor is it necessary, as I believe only in things that there is evidence for.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:45 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,081,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalite View Post
I would love to know what path you've chosen

From what I got from her words, loves did not like that people referred to her God as oppressive and much the same way others were standing up for their faith, she was standing up for hers.
oppressive is as oppressive does. she said she dislike people who didn't believe in God (non-Muslims) since they only do it to be happy and free. what does that say about the Olympians? It says they are very un-oppressive.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:52 PM

1,755 posts, read 3,002,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
oppressive is as oppressive does. she said she dislike people who didn't believe in God (non-Muslims) since they only do it to be happy and free. what does that say about the Olympians? It says they are very un-oppressive.
Did she say that? Because the post I read she said she didn't like people referring to her God as oppressive. That's very different from what you just said.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:51 AM

63,951 posts, read 40,245,624 times
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
A child has faith that the tooth fairy will come while she is asleep and exchange a dollar for her tooth...It takes as much faith to believe in god as it does to believe in the tooth fairy ...I do not have faith, nor is it necessary, as I believe only in things that there is evidence for.
You stand in front of an elephant and claim there is no animal there because it isn't furry, sanspeur. Your "Nature" has all the attributes of God . . . but you prefer "No God" so it isn't there. You have NO basis for your "No God" belief or as your atheist spin doctors seem to prefer . . . no belief in God. I am quite certain I haven't the vaguest idea what the difference is . . . but it seems to comfort you in your beliefs about reality. God exists . . . just not in ways to your liking, apparently. Lovesmountains said she wanted to agree to disagree . . . can you respect that, sans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.