Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 08:17 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,672,664 times

Advertisements

Mystic, if I were you I wouldn't change one bit, we are all individuals with our own unique way of looking at things that's what makes the human species interesting. There are too many people who seem to think they have to belittle or degrade an individual because they do not conform to their way of thinking even if they don't understand the individual's way of thinking and make no attempt at trying to figure it out, instead all they can do is criticize because of their lack of knowledge. If they had bothered to take the time to ask questions and listen and even be a little respectful there is the possibility that they may actually learn something that they didn't know. This world is full of too many people who all they wanna do is criticize and be judgmental of others' because of their differences in beliefs and culture and they do not take the time or have the interest to try and learn about those cultures and beliefs. It's sad that people don't really listen and communicate with each other anymore, because they miss out on a lot of knowledge. So Mystic don't change, stay your unique, individual self....osay

Old 03-06-2013, 08:31 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,432,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You stand in front of an elephant and claim there is no animal there because it isn't furry, sanspeur.
More accurately I think he stands in a room where you are claiming there is an animal - no animal appears to be there - you are making excuses after excuses for not evidencing the presence of the animal you claim to "know" is there - but all the while you are pretending to know things like whether it is furry or not.

This would be a more accurate description of the situation I feel - especially given the number of posts you pretend to know things about "god" without even starting to show there even is one.

Quote:
You have NO basis for your "No God" belief or as your atheist spin doctors seem to prefer . . . no belief in God.
The only Spin Doctors here are the ones that tell us they "know" they are right but make excuse after excuse for not backing up their claims in any way. They pretend to have knowledge about many things related to this god - without ever showing there even is one - or presenting details on the stream of information by which they came into this knowledge they claim to have that is somehow kept from the rest of us. A spin doctor accusing others of spin is really a case of pot-kettle.

The "basis" for our lack of belief in your claims is nothing more than the ongoing lack of anything that supports your claims. No more basis exists. No more basis is even required.

Quote:
God exists
Assertions do not an argument make young padewan.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:54 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,702,298 times
Quote:
You stand in front of an elephant and claim there is no animal there because it isn't furry, sanspeur. Your "Nature" has all the attributes of God . . . but you prefer "No God" so it isn't there. You have NO basis for your "No God" belief or as your atheist spin doctors seem to prefer . . . no belief in God. I am quite certain I haven't the vaguest idea what the difference is . . . but it seems to comfort you in your beliefs about reality. God exists . . . just not in ways to your liking, apparently. Lovesmountains said she wanted to agree to disagree . . . can you respect that, sans?
So, what ARE the attributes of your God, Mystic?

Old 03-06-2013, 01:43 PM

63,941 posts, read 40,218,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Mystic, if I were you I wouldn't change one bit, we are all individuals with our own unique way of looking at things that's what makes the human species interesting. There are too many people who seem to think they have to belittle or degrade an individual because they do not conform to their way of thinking even if they don't understand the individual's way of thinking and make no attempt at trying to figure it out, instead all they can do is criticize because of their lack of knowledge. If they had bothered to take the time to ask questions and listen and even be a little respectful there is the possibility that they may actually learn something that they didn't know. This world is full of too many people who all they wanna do is criticize and be judgmental of others' because of their differences in beliefs and culture and they do not take the time or have the interest to try and learn about those cultures and beliefs. It's sad that people don't really listen and communicate with each other anymore, because they miss out on a lot of knowledge. So Mystic don't change, stay your unique, individual self....osay
Thank you, ptsum. The wisdom of the Tsalagi is deep and enduring, my friend . . . osay.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:24 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,668,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
More accurately I think he stands in a room where you are claiming there is an animal - no animal appears to be there - you are making excuses after excuses for not evidencing the presence of the animal you claim to "know" is there - but all the while you are pretending to know things like whether it is furry or not.

This would be a more accurate description of the situation I feel - especially given the number of posts you pretend to know things about "god" without even starting to show there even is one.

The only Spin Doctors here are the ones that tell us they "know" they are right but make excuse after excuse for not backing up their claims in any way. They pretend to have knowledge about many things related to this god - without ever showing there even is one - or presenting details on the stream of information by which they came into this knowledge they claim to have that is somehow kept from the rest of us. A spin doctor accusing others of spin is really a case of pot-kettle.

The "basis" for our lack of belief in your claims is nothing more than the ongoing lack of anything that supports your claims. No more basis exists. No more basis is even required.

Assertions do not an argument make young padewan.
You still don't seem to "get it"...or, more likely, you do, but feign ignorance.

How many times does it have to be explained to you that "God" does NOT only manifest within YOUR definition of "God"?
If you want to define "God" in such a way that there is no evidence that covers that definition...fine.
But that does not preclude others from defining "God" as THEY define "God".

Also...it has been explained to you...over, and over, and over, and over, and over again..."God" is a PERCEPTION...and exists the same way love, hate, anger, happiness, justice, equality, hero's, and those kind of things, exist.
We do KNOW that those things exist...through our PERCEPTION of them.
The evidence for "God" presents in a like manner...does IN FACT exist...and thus: God Exists.
Nobody claims that "love" or "hero's" do not exist...and are just a "relabeling" of a chemical reaction in our brain. But this is what some try to do to claim "God" doesn't exist.

The assertion that: The evidence that doesn't confirm YOUR definition of "God"...does evince other perceptions of "God"...and verifies "God" in that way. Does not only "back up the claim" and "make an argument"...it presents the FACTS of the matter.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:21 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,672,664 times
[quote=monumentus;28546354]

Nobody has to prove anything to you or anybody else that they believe in the existence of a deity, the only person that they have to prove it to is themselves. You seem to be an atheist, a nonbeliever and that's fine, but that doesn't give you the right to criticize, insult, or demean others' beliefs or culture.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:51 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,668,016 times
[quote=ptsum;28552898]
Quote:

Nobody has to prove anything to you or anybody else that they believe in the existence of a deity, the only person that they have to prove it to is themselves. You seem to be an atheist, a nonbeliever and that's fine, but that doesn't give you the right to criticize, insult, or demean others' beliefs or culture.
The Bolded blue above. ^^^That's it!!
The insight and wisdom of a "Spiritual Elder" on full display!

THAT is TRUTH...THAT is THE FACTS...THAT is HOW IT IS.
And in "GldnRule Style"...THAT is what EVERYONE NEEDS TO GET HIP TO!!

Old 03-06-2013, 04:31 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,702,298 times
[quote=ptsum;28552898]
Quote:

That would be fine if the theists didn't keep insisting on pushing their agendas into public life. All we hear in the US is that we need to put God back in schools, gays should not marry, and the War on Christmas. In NC, atheists cannot hold public office, the last President prayed for guidance on policy, we spend millions of tax dollars every year to commemorate and celebrate religious holidays. If you're claiming that these are necessary to keep God happy, you have the obligation to prove he exists.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:27 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,432,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
How many times does it have to be explained to you that "God" does NOT only manifest within YOUR definition of "God"?
None. But that doesnt appear to stop you wanting to do it anyway.

The problem for me is that it does not appear to manifest in ANY definition. I personally do not have one - I listen to the ones from the people who claim there is a god.

Your own definition for example seems to be nothing more than "I want to call everything god - thefore since everything exists - and I am calling it god - god therefore exists".

Problem is that is a totally empty definition and you could do the same with any word at all. It says nothing. Adds nothing. Does nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
give you the right to criticize, insult, or demean others' beliefs or culture.
It is a discussion forum. If someone says something I am well within my rights to ask them for evidence for their claims. If this bothers you I recommend either not using a forum - or using the handy "ignore" function the forum programmers kindly designed for you. Your time would be better spent on other projects - like learning how to use the QUOTE function correctly so people actually read your posts.

Also you can not "insult" a belief. It has no mind - no emotions - no feelings. If you want to get offended on behalf of ideas then that is your choice - and I think it a poor one - but your choice to get offended on their behalf in no way constrains what my rights and speech are.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:59 AM

63,941 posts, read 40,218,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
That would be fine if the theists didn't keep insisting on pushing their agendas into public life. All we hear in the US is that we need to put God back in schools, gays should not marry, and the War on Christmas. In NC, atheists cannot hold public office, the last President prayed for guidance on policy,
You are right that we should not have religious beliefs (or preferences if you will) in our secular laws . . . but neither should we have atheist beliefs (or preferences) in our laws. The fight to remove all reference to God from the public square is against the Constitution and futile. Atheism is not a neutral position as the "a" in atheist (meaning essentially against theism) attests. Unfortunately, there is no neutral position on God . . . much as your spin doctors would like to create one. "We don't know" is NOT a position . . . it is sidestepping.
Quote:
we spend millions of tax dollars every year to commemorate and celebrate religious holidays. If you're claiming that these are necessary to keep God happy, you have the obligation to prove he exists.
Celebrations are to celebrate. They are for the celebrants, period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.