Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 08:25 AM

17,966 posts, read 16,018,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
That's the beauty of science. It can be disproved if a better idea with proof comes up.

You can't prove bigfoot doesn't fly on a skateboard.

You're forcing me to prove that an imaginary thing does not do a certain thing.
Of course it's impossible.
We can do an experiment though.

Inject a population with the rabies virus.
We'll have a week before the virus sets in.

I use science and technology.
You use god and prayers.

We'll see which of the two populations survives.
In other words, No, you cannot disprove God exists nor disprove God loves us all. O.K. got it!

Old 02-27-2013, 09:57 AM

1,816 posts, read 2,519,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
In other words, No, you cannot disprove God exists nor disprove God loves us all. O.K. got it!
Or, in other other words, since the existence of god is not provable or disprovable in any way, it exists in the same category as flying spaghetti monsters, leprechauns, and big foot. That category? Completely Irrelevant Things.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:25 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,739,330 times
Quote:
In other words, you cling desperately to the arrogant illusion that you cannot disprove my position.
There is nothing arrogant or illusory about my labeling the abortion of reason that you're trying to promulgate.

Furthermore, reasonable people aren't silly enough to demand proof of non-existence. I realize you have to deny that to defend the fragile fiction that you want to promote.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:19 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,698,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
And I'm not talking about similar gods from religions with similar roots.(Muslims, Christians, Jews)

I mean Gods like Ganesha, Ra, Quetzalcoatl, Thor, Zues, etc.

Why are they fake and your God is not?

Think outside your Western world box.

There's 7 billion people on this planet.. Some who live in remote areas and have never even heard of your God.
What happens to them?

For starters, one needs to define 'god' and then 'belief' - from a personal perspective.
With the exception of Ganesh and company, as well as a few neo-pagans, those 'gods' are icons of days gone by. They are no longer popular in the mainstream. Of the god & goddess worshiping pagans I know, they do not view these gods in the same manner that Christian and co. view their god. Its more symbolic and representational. The gods are metaphorical personifications of the different aspects of life.

I am not religious, but I like to refer to and sometimes honor the 'energy' by using a gods/goddess name.
Gaia is Mother Nature, I respect nature and when the earth shakes under my feet I might say something like, 'wonder what she's pissed off about'....does this mean I think that there is an intelligent entity causing the ground to shake. No. I totally understand plate techtonics.

Any god is just a label of something that is bigger than us and holds some sort of mystery.
It's the power outside of our own power. Do I believe in the inteligent entity god/s? No.
Do I believe in the representational idea of the gods? Sure.

In regards to the gods being 'real', they are. They are as real as Scarlet O'Hara, Darth Vader, Wonder Woman or Axel Foley.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:32 AM

17,966 posts, read 16,018,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
Or, in other other words, since the existence of god is not provable or disprovable in any way, it exists in the same category as flying spaghetti monsters, leprechauns, and big foot. That category? Completely Irrelevant Things.
Not really. A real God had interractions with humans as recorded in the Bible. Flying spaghetti monsters and leprechauns exist only in fiction writings and on a certain cereal box meant to be fictitious. Big foot on the other hand is most likely of the ape genus with sightings recorded by American Indians and early setlers.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:13 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,808,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Personally, I talk to God all day long, off and on depending on what's going on.

He answers me back in my heart.

Really
I dont "talk" to God all day long in the sense that I think your are describing, but I am absolutely sure He talks to me. The question is "do I listen?" I discovered this circa 1970 when I was wrestling with my Catholic upbringing and flirting with what was then called the "Jesus freak" movement among us college students. No I did not join the movement because God told me I had my own path to follow.

Now some will talk of the internal dialogue and the conscience or un-conscience weighing things based upon our upbringing, morality, and life experience (as if a 20 your old has much in the way of life experience). Since no one, me, you, or others can "prove" what really occurs in the mind (or soul, as I believe) we each take what occurred on faith. No you believers in science cannot "prove" your point of view about my experience, just as I cannot "prove my point of view about what occurred. What I can say is that the experience was profound.

BTW I absolutely believe in science. Physics, math, chemistry, biology, geology, medicine, to name a few aspects of science. (I'm not sure that I can call psychology "real" science, but that's another story. The only reason I dont denigrate psychiatry is because it is rooted in medicine.) I believe that science was inspired by God, mostly as a result of the Reformation and the Enlightenment. Who can prove or disprove this? At some point all people come to faith.

Using the following of examples of faith, not saying one thing or another about "proof" but there are Kennedy conspiracy people, 9/11 truthers, alien abductees, and a few more who absolutely believe in their theories and can cite volumes of proof based on science as they understand it. Some are atheists, some are religious. Near as I can tell, there is no absolute truth regarding conspiracies, faith, science, etc. When it comes to faith, we all have it, we all believe something, and we generally all believe there is something greater than ourselves. We all just choose what that something is, some interpretation of the universe around us.

Sorry to blather on, but I think that people of faith are every bit as astute as those who are not. People of faith are not primitives or cavemen or morons or deluded. People who cannot accept us because of our faith should re-examine their own beliefs and see if there is common ground.

Just my 75 cents worth.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:26 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,224,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
For starters, one needs to define 'god' and then 'belief' - from a personal perspective.
With the exception of Ganesh and company, as well as a few neo-pagans, those 'gods' are icons of days gone by. They are no longer popular in the mainstream. Of the god & goddess worshiping pagans I know, they do not view these gods in the same manner that Christian and co. view their god. Its more symbolic and representational. The gods are metaphorical personifications of the different aspects of life.

I am not religious, but I like to refer to and sometimes honor the 'energy' by using a gods/goddess name.
Gaia is Mother Nature, I respect nature and when the earth shakes under my feet I might say something like, 'wonder what she's pissed off about'....does this mean I think that there is an intelligent entity causing the ground to shake. No. I totally understand plate techtonics.

Any god is just a label of something that is bigger than us and holds some sort of mystery.
It's the power outside of our own power. Do I believe in the inteligent entity god/s? No.
Do I believe in the representational idea of the gods? Sure.

In regards to the gods being 'real', they are. They are as real as Scarlet O'Hara, Darth Vader, Wonder Woman or Axel Foley.
When you get into labeling energy and matter(The two things that really make up everything) as "God".
Then what's the point.
Call it nature.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:46 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,519,815 times
Quote:
Not really. A real God had interractions with humans as recorded in the Bible. Flying spaghetti monsters and leprechauns exist only in fiction writings and on a certain cereal box meant to be fictitious. Big foot on the other hand is most likely of the ape genus with sightings recorded by American Indians and early setlers.
Leprechauns had interactions with humans, as recorded in folk tales. The ones telling the tales, originally, believed them to be true. Belief in leprechauns has since fallen out of favor. There's no reason to grant your book any credence over the written tales of the early Celtic people. All just stories. All fiction.

You can't prove that there weren't any leprechauns any more than I can prove that your god doesn't exist. And since both are utterly unverifiable as anything other than fiction, why should anyone believe in the Bible god over leprechauns?

Old 02-27-2013, 01:20 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,709,806 times
Quote:
You cannot prove:

1. Leprechauns do not exist
2. that Leprechauns do not love us
3. that Leprechauns would not cure us

So, therefore they must exist, love us, and can cure us if we pray to them.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:21 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,681,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
Theism exists as a "Completely Irrelevant Thing"...is THAT what you are claiming?!
REALITY CHECK!!!!!
Theism...the concept of the existence of God... was and is, one of, if not the most, prolific elective concept there is!!
It has had more influence on mankind than any other non survival/basic-need characteristic or trait!!
The power of Theism is almost beyond description in it's breadth and scope!
Meanwhile, the influence of Atheism...weeeeeeell, that comes in somewhere behind The Flying Spaghetti Monster and Pink Unicorns.
SIDE NOTE: Luckily FSM & IPU are Atheist "offshoot inventions", so at least they will have that going for them.

Of course...this gets the Atheists frustrated, because they can't figure out "why?", with all their "evidence", "proof", etc...that they still have no more "juice" against Theism than the worst Little League team in the country has against the NY Yankees.

And all I can say about all that is...Oh, Well!! Better get used to it! Because NOTHING is EVER going to change it...short of a monster asteroid wacking into Earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality