Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 05:31 PM

79 posts, read 149,696 times

Advertisements

I have been married for a year. Together almost 10. My husband is a city guy Im a country girl. Where i really want to be is in the country where my friend is. Shes my best friend and only family I have left. My husband doesnt have any family or friends, I do wish he did of course, but he is not seeing my side that where does it matter where we move if there is no one for him wherever we would go. So would you leave your marriage over something such as this? Theres other issues in our marriage as well, but this one is taking the cake as I feel I have sacrificed alot for this man and with the moving it would be the first thing he would sacrifice for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 05:41 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,465,975 times
I feel like location isn't a reason to divorce.
However, I feel like this is probably something you should have considered and discussed further before getting married.

How do your jobs fit into where you live? People move away from their families and friends all the time. Just because she is your only friend/family and your husband has none can NOT be your only argument for moving to the country. Jobs, finances, housing....all of these things matter.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:46 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,469,718 times
No. I wouldn't leave a relationship for something like this.

It boggles my mind that after 10 years you didn't learn this major difference about each other.

Last edited by max's mama; 06-03-2010 at 06:07 PM.. Reason: spelling.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:49 PM

37,945 posts, read 46,672,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swmrbird View Post
I feel like location isn't a reason to divorce.
However, I feel like this is probably something you should have considered and discussed further before getting married.

How do your jobs fit into where you live? People move away from their families and friends all the time. Just because she is your only friend/family and your husband has none can NOT be your only argument for moving to the country. Jobs, finances, housing....all of these things matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
No. I wouldn't leave a relationship for something like this.

It buggles my mind that after 10 years you didn't learn this major difference about each other.
That.^^ Kinda late to be having this revelation IMHO. I don't see where this is something to leave a marriage for.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:51 PM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,189,877 times
i usually dont go out with city girls because i dont like going to the city much. avoids the headache esp since most of the time they dont have cars and wed always be in the city

Old 06-03-2010, 05:53 PM

79 posts, read 149,696 times
Sorry should of explained better. This was brought up a year ago. He said he would go anywhyere with me. He said he didnt care as long as it was with me. He has been this way since we been together with wanting to be anywhere I am. We have moved alot and everywhere we have gone he has never had a problem with. Up till now where i want to move my ex lives there and deep down I think that is really the problem. The ex not where I want to move too. I think he thinks i am going to leave him for the ex. Location doesnt matter for work I work at home he doesnt work.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:56 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,333,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom72 View Post
I have been married for a year. Together almost 10. My husband is a city guy Im a country girl. Where i really want to be is in the country where my friend is. Shes my best friend and only family I have left. My husband doesnt have any family or friends, I do wish he did of course, but he is not seeing my side that where does it matter where we move if there is no one for him wherever we would go. So would you leave your marriage over something such as this? Theres other issues in our marriage as well, but this one is taking the cake as I feel I have sacrificed alot for this man and with the moving it would be the first thing he would sacrifice for me.
I would never leave my husband because we couldn't agree to live near my friends.

In my book, my husband and I go together where-ever we feel makes the most sense for our family: work & income, children, us - that's it! Everything else is secondary as far as I am concerned.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:04 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,913,702 times
Leave him? not over this. I also wouldn't move just to be closer to a friend.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:25 PM

483 posts, read 560,283 times
Quote:
In that scenario I would. There seems to be no reason for him to stay unless it's his career? I've ended a marriage for this reason among others. It turned out to be a great decision for me and a terrible one for her.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:32 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,208,267 times
Quote:
So would you leave your marriage over something such as this?
Depends upon what you agreed upon before you got married or agreed to live together.

I'm a university professor and due to the tenure system, professors are notoriously immobile -- though some move, most of us tend to stay put in our jobs. If I graduated with my PhD and, say, the University of Colorado offered me a position, I'm moving to Boulder.

This is something I made clear to those I dated when I was in grad school (and it is understood among fellow academics...you go where the job is). Were my gal to say "No, I don't want to be in the mountains...I'm a coast woman" I've gotta say, "Sorry, sweetheart, but I can't do that. I must go where I'm offered a good job and that is in Boulder."

But if the deal I made with her before we married/got together was that I will stay put in Paducah and if Boulder beckons I will tell them "no," then it's a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships