Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 11:39 AM

11 posts, read 65,711 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for some relationship advice from others, older and perhaps who have gone through the same situation. I'm 20 years old and have been in a serious, committed relationship for just under five years. The person in the relationship and I have both changed a lot through the relationship. He's the only person I've actually "dated". He is great in many ways, but I also have many reservations, and am not certain if I can see myself with him forever, which he is planning on spending together. I'm in college, and am beginning to realize there are so many people out there. How do I know with the right one, especially with the reservations I'm having? I don't want to hurt him, or lose the best thing that's happened to me, but at the same time, I'm not 100 percent sure I would be happy being with him forever. I'm afraid of missing him/realizing my mistake if I let go, but at the same time, I'm not sure I want to be "us" forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 11:42 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,478,817 times
Sounds like your heart is telling you that you need to see what else is out there. I realize this wont be easy. But few of lifes decisions are. Good luck young lady!

Old 08-10-2009, 11:44 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
^ agree, and this is why the prevailing wisdom is: "Do not start college in a relationship."

Old 08-10-2009, 11:48 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,636,187 times
What you're going through is normal. People change a lot during their 20s. That's why I would never make a lifetime commitment to someone that early in life.

If you're not sure you want to spend the rest of your life with this person, then you need to ask yourself what will make you happy. Are you even looking for a lifetime commitment at this point in your life? If not, then you're doing this man a disservice. He deserves someone who'll commit to him. If you are looking for something permanent, but you're not sure that this is the guy you want to be with, then you need to figure out why. Has he changed or have you changed in a way that no longer makes you compatible?

Lastly, there's always a risk that you will regret leaving him. You may get back out in the dating world, meet lots and lots of jerks, and feel like you lost a really great guy. Then again, staying with someone just because the rest of the world is full of jerks isn't a good idea either. Just ask yourself if you can see yourself without this person in your life. Don't even factor dating other people. This decision should come down to you and him, not you, him and other men.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:13 PM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,178,879 times
Just continue to date and see where it goes. Be honest with him if he asks or pushes you to take a position. Just let him know your not sure yet what you want. that in itself could be a deal killer, ah but oh well at least you were honest.

Good luck

Old 08-10-2009, 12:22 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
I wouldn't make any long term commitments now. If he asks you it may be best to answer that you are not ready. People change a lot between 20 and 25 as well. It is a tough thing to do, but easier than the next conversation if you don't. Earlier posters have spot on advice.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:43 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotscore9 View Post
I'm looking for some relationship advice from others, older and perhaps who have gone through the same situation. I'm 20 years old and have been in a serious, committed relationship for just under five years. The person in the relationship and I have both changed a lot through the relationship. He's the only person I've actually "dated". He is great in many ways, but I also have many reservations, and am not certain if I can see myself with him forever, which he is planning on spending together. I'm in college, and am beginning to realize there are so many people out there. How do I know with the right one, especially with the reservations I'm having? I don't want to hurt him, or lose the best thing that's happened to me, but at the same time, I'm not 100 percent sure I would be happy being with him forever. I'm afraid of missing him/realizing my mistake if I let go, but at the same time, I'm not sure I want to be "us" forever.
Okay. Let me offer a thought to you: There are very few serious, committed relationship at age 20. I'm not saying that to be flip. It's just what I've seen in life.

Now, here's my second thought: Between now and the time you're, say, 27, you will change more than you will for the rest of your days. Sure, you might say to yourself, "Why, I've got it all together now. I know what the heck I'm doing....etc. etc." But the reality is that your attitudes, your ambitions, your tastes, your guiding philosophies, and your approach to relationships will change radically. How can you be sure that this guy, great as he may be, will grow in the same direction as you will?

Because you really haven't entered the crucible of adulthood yet. One of the outrages of education today is that it has prolonged adolescence to the age of 25 or 26. Sixty-five years ago, 24-year-olds were commanding companies of soldiers in places such as Bastogne or Okinawa. Today, we don't even allow them rent cars while traveling on business. In short, you need to go to your job, have your own place, buy your own things, pay your own bills, and deal with your own challenges before you really will begin to understand yourself.

I think you know this intuitively already. You're looking about and seeing a host of other interesting men and already wondering what they're like to be with. That doesn't mean your boyfriend isn't a great guy. But even if steak is all you've ever known, that doesn't mean you don't want to try lobster.

So here's what I think. Tell your boyfriend that you want to experience life a little, rather than be in this ongoing training for marriage. Step outside your comfort zone and date around (A completely different proposition than sleep around). Satisfy yourself, one way or another, that you really know what you like in a man. Who knows? You may actually find you had been right about your boyfriend all along. But you'll never know until you sample what else is on the menu.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:56 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
My advice is: do NOT take relationship advice from others, much less from perfect strangers!

Old 08-10-2009, 08:08 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
My advice is: do NOT take relationship advice from others, much less from perfect strangers!

Old 08-10-2009, 08:22 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,601,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotscore9 View Post
My husband and I were together when I was 20 and later when on to get married and we are still together. The part of your posts that stands out to me is bolded above. I never felt that way about my husband, then or now. I could never imagine my life with out him then or now. I never second-guessed myself then or now. Something to think about Only you can make the right decision for yourself, like Sierra said, do not take relationship advice from others, go with what feels right for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships