Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 04:41 AM

769 posts, read 1,013,063 times

Advertisements

woah... leave your husband... for friends? You need to reevaluate your life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 05:50 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
You know, my wife wanted me to move to another town, and it was difficult for me to do so--because until I found another job we had NO money coming in. It took a few weeks. With today's economy, I couldn't see moving at all, unless my employer was able to arrange a transfer to another location for me. I can't move and not have a job again....I just can't do it.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:46 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
I don't know a lot about how child support works, but why aren't your wages garnished, michiganmom? I thought if you were married to someone who owed CS, they could take it from you. I'm sure I've heard other posters say as much.

That's not why you keep moving, is it?

Old 06-04-2010, 06:53 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
^I don't know about that--they could garnish the wages of the person who owes, but I don't think they can also take it from the spouse's earnings.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:01 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,387,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Leave him? not over this. I also wouldn't move just to be closer to a friend.
Boy, this one opens many doors. But first of all, location isnt really a reason to leave your SO, especially over a friend. I have friends and family scattered all over the US and if I were in a relationship, wouldnt move to where friends are simply to be close to them. I dont relocate for someone else...whether relationship or friend...I do it for ME.
Maybe you could have tested the waters before getting married, maybe reminding him you are looking in other areas of relocating, to see if he would take on an interest in going with, or see his reaction? Or maybe work is an issue too, some jobs just arent transferrable?
Sure, making it clear from the get-go...before anything even starts, needs to be set in stone, that you want to relocate to where ever eventually, and either he'll accept it or not.
But again, leaving your husband isnt the answer.
Heres a trick question: If one of you had a job that shipped you all over the place periodically (my dad did, in fact) what would the relationship be like?

Old 06-04-2010, 08:27 AM

622 posts, read 1,279,574 times
Would I leave a marriage? No. A relationship? Yes. And Im about to.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:54 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I don't know a lot about how child support works, but why aren't your wages garnished, michiganmom? I thought if you were married to someone who owed CS, they could take it from you. I'm sure I've heard other posters say as much.

That's not why you keep moving, is it?
Since he is not working Julia there is nothing to garnish. No, a court will not usually go after or consider the new spouses income, so michiganmom can't be forced to pay his child support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships