Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2013, 10:22 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,982,589 times

Advertisements

Mod cut: Orphaned.

but Caddy has been pretty spot on with how things work with people in their 20s.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-13-2013 at 01:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 10:38 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,228,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I don't answer them if I don't feel like it, either.
As I said, it's not a summons.

That's where you don't get it... I'm more important to myself than you are to me.
When I have time, I'll respond.
You don't get to interrupt my day for your wants/needs.

I control my time, not you.

Ding, ding, ding! And we have a winner!

Believe it or not, the telephone was originally thought to be a rude device because calls intruded upon the sanctity and peace of the home. Of course, that no longer applies. People came to accept that sometimes, folks just weren't home, and they'd have to try back later. Now we have voicemail for people to leave messages, with the understanding that calls will be returned when the recipient gets to them.

However, demanding instant gratification and complaining when you don't get it have always been, are now, and ever shall be signs of bad breeding.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:46 AM

13,414 posts, read 28,788,831 times
The result of people no longer TALKING as a form of communication.
I use text when I know the person maybe busy, at work, sleeping etc and will respond to me when they can. If it's important i call and actually speak.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:51 AM

2,472 posts, read 4,220,681 times
I don't really get why you'd send a text if you want instant gratification. Isn't the whole point of a text message that you can respond when you have the time? If I expected an immediate answer I would just call.*

*I understand there are situations in which you can't call, but similar situations happen with texting. We just have to accept that people get busy/distracted/disinterested. I don't think it's worth getting upset over it.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:53 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,590,558 times
I haven't had the patience to read through the thread(I'm drunk) but when are people gonna stop texting and start freaken talking to each other??!?

Old 09-13-2013, 10:58 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,219,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Have any other guys gotten sick of girls telling them they're "bad texters?" I understand we have busy lives and whatnot but it doesn't take but 1 minute to say "hey I'm busy ttyl" instead you'll hear NOTHING at all. It's like one minute she takes .2 seconds to respond to your texts for hours, then BAM! Nothing, even though iMessage says she read your message.
Holy, stalker, batman!
Quote:
One of my major red flags with women is a bad texter.
So don't date them. But quit yer whining.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:09 AM

29,775 posts, read 34,508,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Holy, stalker, batman!

So don't date them. But quit yer whining.
Yeah, this is kind of what it boils down to. I don't think anyone is denying that texting isn't useful and here to stay, but for the OP to demand immediate satisfaction to the point where he's not going to deal with anyone without an iphone because he can't monitor them is a bit extreme.

As an old, I own my phone, not vice versa. If, say, I want a quiet night in tonight, I'm not beholden to everyone on my contact list to be available to them while I'm at home doing laundry and painting my toenails. Why? Because I don't want to be. The way I think of it, if I wanted to talk to you I would have met you for drinks.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:12 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,219,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Yeah, this is kind of what it boils down to. I don't think anyone is denying that texting isn't useful and here to stay, but for the OP to demand immediate satisfaction to the point where he's not going to deal with anyone without an iphone because he can't monitor them is a bit extreme.
What makes ANYONE think that they can influence what the whole class of "ladies" does with their cell phone?? Nuts.

Quote:
As an old, I own my phone, not vice versa. If, say, I want a quiet night in tonight, I'm not beholden to everyone on my contact list to be available to them. The way I think of it, if I wanted to talk to you I would have met you for drinks.
Amen. My FIL asked me one time, how do I reliably reach you by phone. I replied, you don't. If you need to get in touch with me, email me. It is MY phone. It is there for MY convenience. So... you reach me MY way. When I want to reach you, I pick up the damned phone.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:31 AM

36,727 posts, read 31,015,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanderous View Post
I don't really get why you'd send a text if you want instant gratification. Isn't the whole point of a text message that you can respond when you have the time? If I expected an immediate answer I would just call.*
LOL. This exactly. How more instant can you get than actually speaking to one another.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:01 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,228,809 times
Mo cut: Orphaned.

I don't even turn my phone on unless it's an emergency, and that has absolutely nothing to do with how much I love my SO or how much I would be into a guy if I were single. It just means that I can't stand constant interruptions over b.s. things like, "hey, how r u" while I'm trying to get work done or am in the middle of something. For one thing, I can't stand that kind of grammatical horror. For another, if I'm on your mind and you really want to know how I'm doing, as someone else said, sack up and call.

When you have people giving TED talks about how people in their late teens and early 20s say they want to learn how to have a conversation someday, that's a sign that people are being crippled socially by technology. The OP is not some anomaly. Look around these threads. As others have said, there are a lot of young people out there who are overanalyzing, obsessing, and stressing over texts. It's simultaneously ridiculous and tragic. Healthy adults know how to speak to each other in real time, and want to speak to each other in real time. They know how to think on their feet and be in a moment, and they don't fear the responses others may give them on the fly. They don't need to proofread every thought they want to share, because they are secure in sharing it.

I feel bad for Millennials. I think, very generally speaking, you've been socially stunted by technology. Instead of using it as a tool or a complement to your communications, you use it as a lifeline. It IS your life. And you miss so much because of it, because your heads are always down. Your reliance on technology has hampered everything from romance to how you interact with people in the office. Technology is a fantastic thing, but as with everything else in life, there is a time and place for it.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-13-2013 at 01:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships