Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 08:57 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times

Advertisements

I have no doubt that obsession over minute-to-minute electronic communication will greatly enhance your relationships.

I do get it, really. My single/casually dating/clubbing/going out all the time twenties were in the AIM and other instant messenger heyday. I def. recall paying undue attention to the distance between online responses, overanalyzing people's away messages, etc. It's really just kind of more of the same. Eventually, you get older, more secure, and get over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 09:11 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,001,750 times
I agree with cady1316 when he says texting is a primary outlet of communication among many 30 and under. It is just becoming the norm. But with it comes an additional layer of frustration and confusion for those who subscribe to it. It seems like every poster who has started a thread in which texting plays a pivotal role in the story has been confused, frustrated, resorts to snooping, etc. The expectation for instant gratification is a bit childish. I don't know if there is a way to quantify this, but I'd be willing to bet a 28 year old today in average isn't as mature as a 28 year old from a generation ago. Most of the posters here complaining about texts come off as immature, childish, and insecure. That certainly goes for the OP. They do it to themselves, though.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:39 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nokiddin View Post
what makes you think i don't change my communication style to suit my audience??? don't hate plz, it's immature
Yep, I know all about it, I work with teenagers and young adults every day for a living...and teaching productive communication skills/strategies and focusing on pragmatic language skills are probably the biggest areas of focus, since the age group exhibits widespread deficits in these areas, overall.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:18 PM

61,699 posts, read 87,101,195 times
I noticed that lots of people who rely on texting as a communication form, are unable to make a real conversation, because of lack of vocabulary or fear of talking person-to-person.
BS per text is easy - making a meaningful, interesting conversation requires some skills and brains.

Also people who see "red flags" in such trivial situation are those who have hard time dating, or keeping their BF/GF
We see them whine on C-D all the times...

Old 09-12-2013, 12:33 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Have any other guys gotten sick of girls telling them they're "bad texters?" I understand we have busy lives and whatnot but it doesn't take but 1 minute to say "hey I'm busy ttyl" instead you'll hear NOTHING at all. It's like one minute she takes .2 seconds to respond to your texts for hours, then BAM! Nothing, even though iMessage says she read your message. Ladies we don't need to keep you in check knowing brushing your doing but if you get busy let us know, don't just leave us hanging.

Sometimes it worse than that, sometimes girls take hours to reply to a simple "hey what's up" the reply of kts not the one worded "hey" is usually "sorry I'm a bad texter" BS you're not a bad texter, you're just texting 64 other dudes. These same girls who claim to be such "bad texters" CONSTANTLY have their phones in their hand when you do go on a date with them.

Ladies you need to stop that crap, it's just rude.

One of my major red flags with women is a bad texter.
It's a text, not a damned summons.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:53 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,546,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I noticed that lots of people who rely on texting as a communication form, are unable to make a real conversation, because of lack of vocabulary or fear of talking person-to-person. BS per text is easy - making a meaningful, interesting conversation requires some skills and brains.

Also people who see "red flags" in such trivial situation are those who have hard time dating, or keeping their BF/GF
Yes, hiding behind text is not good, and ppl have to know when to shift gears from text to voice, to in person.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:55 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
It's a text, not a damned summons.
That's how I feel about it. I've read that it's a characteristic of introverts--that you sometimes have to psych yourself up for conversation or interaction. So when my phone buzzes, if I'm not feeling up for talking or texting, I don't.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:09 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That's how I feel about it. I've read that it's a characteristic of introverts--that you sometimes have to psych yourself up for conversation or interaction. So when my phone buzzes, if I'm not feeling up for talking or texting, I don't.
Isn't that the truth.
I'm an introvert. I also work in a highly intense field and my off hours are just that - off.

People do not get to make immediate demands on my time.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:13 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,350,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I noticed that lots of people who rely on texting as a communication form, are unable to make a real conversation, because of lack of vocabulary or fear of talking person-to-person.
BS per text is easy - making a meaningful, interesting conversation requires some skills and brains.

Please. Save the conversation for the date or in person. Personally, I hate talking on the phone. Tell me what you want and ill get back to you. So easy in text. I'm actually annoyed when people call me for a 30 second BS session. If you're long distance and want to have a convo, ok different, but if were setting up a date or a hang out, text me. We will have plenty of good conversation when I see you

Old 09-12-2013, 01:17 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,451,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy1316 View Post
Please. Save the conversation for the date or in person. Personally, I hate talking on the phone. Tell me what you want and ill get back to you. So easy in text. I'm actually annoyed when people call me for a 30 second BS session. If you're long distance and want to have a convo, ok different, but if were setting up a date or a hang out, text me. We will have plenty of good conversation when I see you

i think this may be your issue, not the fact they are actually talking to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships