Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2013, 09:21 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,840,860 times

Advertisements

I don't text a man I am interested in because I want something. But I need a reason to text. To me it just seems silly to text a nothing message. Especially since most men I am interested in seem "action oriented." So I usually ask a question or ask if he wants to do something, etc. Usually a question because it's easy for him to respond and there is no commitment. The basic point of it all is to just say, "hey, I am thinking of you." But to be fair, I really don't text very often. I usually e-mail or send a Facebook message.

If I don't get a response, it's no biggie. It's just a text. And I think sometimes my texts don't even go though (I have two cell phones right now and I've tried texting pictures from one phone to the other and they don't always go through for some reason). Anyway if a man consistently doesn't answer or rarely answers, it might bug me at first, but it sinks in that he's just not interested in me and I move on. At least, that's my take away on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 09:32 PM

816 posts, read 1,955,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I don't text a man I am interested in because I want something. But I need a reason to text. To me it just seems silly to text a nothing message. Especially since most men I am interested in seem "action oriented." So I usually ask a question or ask if he wants to do something, etc. Usually a question because it's easy for him to respond and there is no commitment. The basic point of it all is to just say, "hey, I am thinking of you." But to be fair, I really don't text very often. I usually e-mail or send a Facebook message.
This is what generation X (Born anywhere between 1980 or 85? to 2000) is going through whether you like it or not. Texts are basically "required" these days in the dating department to follow up the relationship. I'm hearing-impaired so I expect someone to text me mostly instead of calling because it's a lot easier, and it doesn't bug me whenever I'm in a busy situation. Talking on the phone with someone you like would be something serious. Texting is basically all about being connected with one another. Yes, I admit, there are some disadvantages to that in the dating department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
If I don't get a response, it's no biggie. It's just a text. And I think sometimes my texts don't even go though (I have two cell phones right now and I've tried texting pictures from one phone to the other and they don't always go through for some reason). Anyway if a man consistently doesn't answer or rarely answers, it might bug me at first, but it sinks in that he's just not interested in me and I move on. At least, that's my take away on it.
It all really falls down to what dumbphone or smartphone you have and where you live. If you have iPhone and the opposite sex has an iPhone, 99% of the time it is reliable when sending a text through iMessage (iPhone to iPhone text) and it also shows "delivered" under each of your text. It is almost always accurate. Never had once been in a situation where a picture doesn't go through on iMessage. Almost everyone has an iPhone or Android phones so they're usually reliable these days. It just only gets better as far as reliable goes.

When a girl doesn't text me the first time, I usually don't ever text again until she texts me first. That's how butthole I can be, if you got my text and never respond to it, you're never going to hear from me again. At least, that's far better than someone who is a creeper that constantly bugs a girl.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:39 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,558,982 times
okay grasshopper what other tips you got for the unenlightened?

Old 09-18-2013, 08:03 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,195,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by An0nym0us88 View Post
If that is the only one reason that you can think of then you are sadly mistaken.

Women text if they want something, not because of being bored. They want to play games and so that's why I'm there so I can find what they want, if you know what I mean.

One incident, this one girl I haven't seen in two months, but we text every now and then. I texted her while I was in her city during spring break two years ago, I texted her "Hey, I'm in town, you wanted go eat somewhere tomorrow for lunch?". She said, "Yes! Let me ask my boss to see if I can get off work and I will let you know tonight!", no responses until three days later, she said "OMG, I'm so sorry, I got so busy. I feel so bad right now". Of course, I don't believe her BS. I KNOW she always on her phone. Yes, that is a rejection, but I just wanted to have lunch with her to see how she is doing. Then she will text often saying, "We don't text much anymore" and also, "I miss you, my mom always ask about you". Holy batman.... I'm like, you b****, you just ignored me while I was in town for the week and was done with her! She blames it all on me. I haven't talked to her in almost a year, her fault. Won't be texting first. She is a very sweet girl, but she is absolutely inconsiderate just like most girls would be. They would blame it all on me for not texting them when I usually text them every other times. I guess they expect guys to text first every freaking time.

As I said earlier, girls are very weird when it comes to texting.

By the way, I haven't text ladies much lately. I just wait for them to text me first every time, it works. It bothers them that I don't text them much, it's great to have a control over it on them. Heck yeah!
that is not what happened. she said "yes" to a potential free lunch but then something better came up. you should have known at that point that you were not a priority since she didn't even bother to let you know she "couldn't" go. she texts you again later because she enjoys the attention and more times than not she probably just got rejected by a more desirable male so she needs a little validation that someone is still into her. forget not texting first...don't text back. ignore her. stop letting yourself get walked all over. then YOU will become that more desirable male. she is using you to make herself feel good about herself. its not weird or crazy. men and women do this all the time whether its through texting or any other medium. you are letting it happen by continuing to talk to these women.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:05 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,195,350 times
Quote:
When a girl doesn't text me the first time, I usually don't ever text again until she texts me first. That's how butthole I can be, if you got my text and never respond to it, you're never going to hear from me again. At least, that's far better than someone who is a creeper that constantly bugs a girl.
they do hear from you again lol...they just have to text first. as i said, usually when they need validation that someone is into them. dont text them back

Old 09-18-2013, 08:09 AM

29,816 posts, read 34,720,007 times
Quote:
This is what generation X (Born anywhere between 1980 or 85? to 2000) is going through whether you like it or not.
Just to be nitpicky, you're talking about Millennials, not Generation X. Gen Xers were born between 1965 and 1980.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:58 AM

816 posts, read 1,955,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
that is not what happened. she said "yes" to a potential free lunch but then something better came up. you should have known at that point that you were not a priority since she didn't even bother to let you know she "couldn't" go. she texts you again later because she enjoys the attention and more times than not she probably just got rejected by a more desirable male so she needs a little validation that someone is still into her. forget not texting first...don't text back. ignore her. stop letting yourself get walked all over. then YOU will become that more desirable male. she is using you to make herself feel good about herself. its not weird or crazy. men and women do this all the time whether its through texting or any other medium. you are letting it happen by continuing to talk to these women.
I don't think I've made myself clear. These girls that text me like that are the ones that want to date me. Clearly, they want something and not just texting to get my attention. Yes, you're right that it is not weird or crazy. I hate to be used through text, though.

She did say yes, but waiting three days to respond that she said she would let me know that night is a liar and inconsiderate. That's what b****es do. It feels good not getting texts lately to be used. I just don't buy that crap especially being hooked to a smartphone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
she texts you again later because she enjoys the attention and more times than not she probably just got rejected by a more desirable male so she needs a little validation that someone is still into her
That she needs alittle validation is probably true. Although, she has never reject or been rejected by a guy before. The reason why is because she dated this guy for three years, and that was it. She was 19 years old at the time.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:02 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,275,134 times
Quote:
This is what generation X (Born anywhere between 1980 or 85? to 2000) is going through whether you like it or not. Texts are basically "required" these days in the dating department to follow up the relationship.

You mean Millennials. Gen-Xers were born between 1964 (or '62, depending on who you ask) and 1980 (or '81 or '82, depending on who you ask). Trust me: We're not nearly as hung up on texting as Millennials, especially those of us born in the '60s. We have gadgets and love technology, but we knew life before cell phones and the Internet, so we are far less likely to use technology as a social umbilical cord.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:55 AM

1,355 posts, read 2,558,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
You mean Millennials. Gen-Xers were born between 1964 (or '62, depending on who you ask) and 1980 (or '81 or '82, depending on who you ask). Trust me: We're not nearly as hung up on texting as Millennials, especially those of us born in the '60s. We have gadgets and love technology, but we knew life before cell phones and the Internet, so we are far less likely to use technology as a social umbilical cord.

true, and you are pretty much making An0n's point, and i don't think anyone is asking folks to use texting as a social umbilical cord. in fact, i think more frequent texters would like to keep it that way.

kind of like the ol' "don't trust anyone of 30" crowd

Old 09-18-2013, 12:18 PM

212 posts, read 1,008,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Sometimes it worse than that, sometimes girls take hours to reply to a simple "hey what's up"
I'm not in the dating scene, but if I were, I would ignore a guy who texted "hey what's up." What are you trying to initiate? A conversation? Just call her. Do you want to see her? Then ask "What are you up to tonight?"

Also, punctuation. That's a huge thing for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships