Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2013, 12:38 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,558,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_contrary View Post
I'm not in the dating scene, but if I were, I would ignore a guy who texted "hey what's up." What are you trying to initiate? A conversation? Just call her. Do you want to see her? Then ask "What are you up to tonight?"

Also, punctuation. That's a huge thing for me
well, you are probably a bit more older, 30s? anyway, point being that i think the frequency of texting almost correlates with your age group. under 20 crowd, very frequent. over 40, just for informational purposes. and those in the middle vary depending on their lifestyle (married, single, etc) and personal preferences.

but many do use it as an entertainment and conversation medium, as i am learning to do so. it's different, almost like tweeting back and forth. you're probably not familiar with that too.

the punctuation comment is interesting. i see that a lot, but i am think their is a style about doing it, yet its a delicate balance because there is a difference between communicating personality and education level. like i read lots of women dont like to see improper use of "your v. you're" (or ur). im trying a style of no caps and apostrophes just because those extra special keystrokes are buggers and slow down my texting. so far so good.

anyway to your point. to each his (or her) own. some like it, some dont.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 12:40 PM

29,816 posts, read 34,720,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_contrary View Post
I'm not in the dating scene, but if I were, I would ignore a guy who texted "hey what's up." What are you trying to initiate? A conversation? Just call her. Do you want to see her? Then ask "What are you up to tonight?"
I definitely agree with that. "what's up?" is the worst. Ask me something. Tell me something. "What's up?" just tells me that you're bored and want me to entertain you, which I generally do not do over text.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:42 PM

17,669 posts, read 22,801,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
You mean Millennials. Gen-Xers were born between 1964 (or '62, depending on who you ask) and 1980 (or '81 or '82, depending on who you ask). Trust me: We're not nearly as hung up on texting as Millennials, especially those of us born in the '60s. We have gadgets and love technology, but we knew life before cell phones and the Internet, so we are far less likely to use technology as a social umbilical cord.
The Daniel Booners put a string between two Porknbean cans, to talk......

Old 09-18-2013, 12:43 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,746,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by An0nym0us88 View Post
If that is the only one reason that you can think of then you are sadly mistaken.

Women text if they want something, not because of being bored. They want to play games and so that's why I'm there so I can find what they want, if you know what I mean.

One incident, this one girl I haven't seen in two months, but we text every now and then. I texted her while I was in her city during spring break two years ago, I texted her "Hey, I'm in town, you wanted go eat somewhere tomorrow for lunch?". She said, "Yes! Let me ask my boss to see if I can get off work and I will let you know tonight!", no responses until three days later, she said "OMG, I'm so sorry, I got so busy. I feel so bad right now". Of course, I don't believe her BS. I KNOW she always on her phone. Yes, that is a rejection, but I just wanted to have lunch with her to see how she is doing. Then she will text often saying, "We don't text much anymore" and also, "I miss you, my mom always ask about you". Holy batman.... I'm like, you b****, you just ignored me while I was in town for the week and was done with her! She blames it all on me. I haven't talked to her in almost a year, her fault. Won't be texting first. She is a very sweet girl, but she is absolutely inconsiderate just like most girls would be. They would blame it all on me for not texting them when I usually text them every other times. I guess they expect guys to text first every freaking time.

As I said earlier, girls are very weird when it comes to texting.

By the way, I haven't text ladies much lately. I just wait for them to text me first every time, it works. It bothers them that I don't text them much, it's great to have a control over it on them. Heck yeah!
You sound horribly controlling and like you really enjoy playing games to mess with people.

The bolded, however...it seems like you want her to think it's a date, when in reality you just want to catch up...so which is it? Is she a friend, or are you just keeping her around hoping that she'll eventually sleep with you?

She's not inconsiderate, she's treating you like a generic friend while you're expecting her to treat you like a romantic partner.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I definitely agree with that. "what's up?" is the worst. Ask me something. Tell me something. "What's up?" just tells me that you're bored and want me to entertain you, which I generally do not do over text.
i use it, and seen it used, to just send a message to someone to let them know you were thinking about them and if they want to chat, you are around. many frequent texters throw out random thoughts throughout the day back and forth. and many text with 5-6 ppl throughout the day. no one is depending or waiting on the other's response, but sometimes a conversation does kick in gear for like 15-20 minutes then it drops off again. it's like communicating facebook status updates or mini-tweets. hope that helps your understand.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:56 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,746,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nokiddin View Post
i use it, and seen it used, to just send a message to someone to let them know you were thinking about them and if they want to chat, you are around. many frequent texters throw out random thoughts throughout the day back and forth. and many text with 5-6 ppl throughout the day. no one is depending or waiting on the other's response, but sometimes a conversation does kick in gear for like 15-20 minutes then it drops off again. it's like communicating facebook status updates or mini-tweets. hope that helps your understand.
That pretty much describes the way me and the guy I'm seeing text throughout the day. Random thoughts, no real beginning or end and it's definitely not a 'normal' conversation flow. Something will happen at work so he'll text me a little blurb about it and I'll comment on it, and I'll see someone dressed up as Finn From Adventure Time on the subway so I'll text him about it. Every once in a while one of us will remember to text good morning, or good night...but it's not too often. It's just random musings throughout the day.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:57 PM

29,816 posts, read 34,720,007 times
To me, random musings is different than "what's up?" That falls under the "tell me something" category. "what's up" is just boring to me, it's like calling someone without a purpose just to talk, which I don't do, either.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:01 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,357,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
To me, random musings is different than "what's up?" That falls under the "tell me something" category. "what's up" is just boring to me, it's like calling someone without a purpose just to talk, which I don't do, either.
I often will send a "what's good" to guys and girls as a feeler for what's happening that night or even just saying hi. I can promise you no one takes issue with it, but then again I don't text many 30 +.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:05 PM

it all depends on your connection/relationship with the other. a "what's up?" from someone you just met, could be seen as "2 kewl 4 skool". a "wassup" from a good friend, not a big deal.

i did something interesting yesterday that i thought was amusing and could be enlightening. i just texted a few women the word "drama!" and promptly got "what?", "???", and "hey". then i said "nothing, i was just checking if you were paying attention"..."whats up?", they all chuckled. haha

Last edited by nokiddin; 09-18-2013 at 01:18 PM..

Old 09-18-2013, 01:19 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,263,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nokiddin View Post
it all depends on your connection/relationship with the other. a "what's up" from some you just met, could be seen as "2 kewl 4 skool". a "wassup" from a good friend, not a big deal.

i did something interesting yesterday that i thought was amusing and could be enlightening. i just texted a few women the word "drama!" and promptly got "what?", "???", and "hey". then i said "nothing, i was just checking if you were paying attention"..."whats up?", they all chuckled. haha

That reads as I am going talk to you despite having exactly nothing to say. Woo Hoo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships