Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 01:18 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,351,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Isn't that the truth.
I'm an introvert. I also work in a highly intense field and my off hours are just that - off.

People do not get to make immediate demands on my time.
Isn't a phone call even more demanding of your precious time than a text?? I certainly think so
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 01:19 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy1316 View Post
Please. Save the conversation for the date or in person. Personally, I hate talking on the phone. Tell me what you want and ill get back to you. So easy in text. I'm actually annoyed when people call me for a 30 second BS session. If you're long distance and want to have a convo, ok different, but if were setting up a date or a hang out, text me. We will have plenty of good conversation when I see you
To each his own, but had I not had several decent phone conversations with my now-fiance and experienced our conversational flow firsthand, I wouldn't have agreed to go out with him. I'm a writer, I know that writing is easier than talking for some. But prove to me that you're a decent, non-awkward conversationalist before I decide to get myself stuck sitting across a table or similar from you for an entire evening making painful small talk. Prove that you're up to the conversational challenge before I waste my time.

I'm not interested in interacting only in an electronic medium with somebody, and I'd never determine whether or not to go out with or meet somebody based only on that and that alone...it's not a primary mode for me, but merely a substitute mode of conversation.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
i think this may be your issue, not the fact they are actually talking to you.
If a real conversation needs to be had, I'd much rather have it in person, by phone if absolutely necessary. Other than that, text me. Pretty simple and straight forward

Old 09-12-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
To each his own, but had I not had several decent phone conversations with my now-fiance and experienced our conversational flow firsthand, I wouldn't have agreed to go out with him. I'm a writer, I know that writing is easier than talking for some. But prove to me that you're a decent, non-awkward conversationalist before I decide to get myself stuck sitting across a table or similar from you for an entire evening making painful small talk. Prove that you're up to the conversational challenge before I waste my time.

I'm not interested in interacting only in an electronic medium with somebody, and I'd never determine whether or not to go out with or meet somebody based only on that and that alone...it's not a primary mode for me, but merely a substitute mode of conversation.
That's why the first date should be strictly drinks and you can bounce quickly if it sucks.

In my own experience, trying to have a drawn out conversation with s girl you just met over the phone is counter productive. Set up date one and save the conversation for interpersonal interaction

Old 09-12-2013, 01:25 PM

36,549 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
Please. Save the conversation for the date or in person. Personally, I hate talking on the phone. Tell me what you want and ill get back to you. So easy in text. I'm actually annoyed when people call me for a 30 second BS session. If you're long distance and want to have a convo, ok different, but if were setting up a date or a hang out, text me. We will have plenty of good conversation when I see you
I'm doubtful that is the case for many people. When the standard mode of communication is text and people are increasingly engaged with their hand held devices how do they develop communication skills.

I am noticing people out at restaurants, on dates or in a group, and they are all texting or doing something on their "phones" and no one at the table is having a good conversation. Lunch break here at the lab, the younger people are all engrossed in their devices and no one talks.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
That's why the first date should be strictly drinks and you can bounce quickly if it sucks.

In my own experience, trying to have a drawn out conversation with s girl you just met over the phone is counter productive. Set up date one and save the conversation for interpersonal interaction
Nah, for me, after a phone conversation, I can tell whether or not to even bother with meeting. I spent enough years as a reporter that I know what questions to ask and what cues to listen for. Then I don't have to bother with the awkward annoying drinks date, which I hate anyway. Major time saver.

My fiance knew there was gonna be no date with out talking to me first, so it worked out well.

Electronic media communication has its uses, for sure. But making judgment calls relating to human emotion based on it? Rookie move. And throwing a tantrum over whether or not you got an immediate text back from somebody? Ridiculous.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I'm doubtful that is the case for many people. When the standard mode of communication is text and people are increasingly engaged with their hand held devices how do they develop communication skills.
They don't, and it's painfully obvious.

At my work, there is an increasingly large group that comes and has lunch in my office, where there is conversation going on, because they got sick of going to the staff breakroom with bunches of people sitting around small tables silent and glued to their phones and tablets. There is an entire generation and a half right now with significant social skill deficits.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:31 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,744,165 times
Quote:
Isn't a phone call even more demanding of your precious time than a text?? I certainly think so
No. I can talk on the phone while making dinner, driving, doing laundry, relaxing on my porch with a glass of wine, walking the dog, etc.

Texting requires both hands and my glasses. and full engagement of my spelling and grammar muscles. I write for a living so I am tired of tapping out words by the end of the day.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:32 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,458,244 times
Quote:
If a real conversation needs to be had, I'd much rather have it in person, by phone if absolutely necessary. Other than that, text me. Pretty simple and straight forward
i absolutely agree, but what constitutes "BS" to you may not to others trying to contact you.
which is why some may prefer to actually call over sending a "impersonal" text.

if someone was calling me to say "yes" to a question that needed no elaboration on, i would be a little annoyed at the pointlessness of it. but someone who wants to call can actually socialize? i have no issues what so ever, if its a bad time i let it go to VM or allow them to send a text asking when its a good time to call. im not that self important that it has to all be about me when someone decides to pick up the phone.

FWIW i also find talking easier since it only requires my mouth and a hands free device. texting requires me to take my attention off the conversation to the phone itself

Old 09-12-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Nah, for me, after a phone conversation, I can tell whether or not to even bother with meeting. I spent enough years as a reporter that I know what questions to ask and what cues to listen for. Then I don't have to bother with the awkward annoying drinks date, which I hate anyway. Major time saver.

My fiance knew there was gonna be no date with out talking to me first, so it worked out well.

Electronic media communication has its uses, for sure. But making judgment calls relating to human emotion based on it? Rookie move. And throwing a tantrum over whether or not you got an immediate text back from somebody? Ridiculous.
Yeah the OP has issues with text. But you're out of date. Most young women would find it weird if you were trying to have drawn out phone conversations before date one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships