Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 04:10 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,037,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Too, I personally think 'having babies' is a train wreck, and don't respond to female friends-of-friends posting shots of the new little kid too terribly often. Not when one of them is already 'broke' and didn't have much to say when asked what new baby would do to her desire to become a teacher, already with two kids. She's a hippie and like the rest of them can't look beyond their own strange beliefs, so power to her I say. Not my concern, I guess, and I muzzle my contempt behind happiness that's she's happy? What else can you do?
I have to ask, Why so much contempt for someone because they have babies ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 09:26 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,090,172 times
Work hard to play hard.

It may not be that we are happy all the time but when we get to play, we do it massively for the time we have.

I spent this weekend traveling 4 hours + to a friend's birthday party, 4 hours back, and now, after 4.5 hours sleep, it is back to the grind.

Tough, endurance based life but in the words of Maxwell Smart........................."And loving it!".

Old 09-19-2018, 10:47 PM

41 posts, read 14,947 times
Yeah, I do also see these kinds of people around me who pretend to be happy on social media but in reality, they're not. They are social media addicted peoples. We are making our life complicated by these things. We should know the real and virtual world in a better way.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:30 PM

6,612 posts, read 3,688,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkemma1987 View Post
Yeah, I do also see these kinds of people around me who pretend to be happy on social media but in reality, they're not. They are social media addicted peoples. We are making our life complicated by these things. We should know the real and virtual world in a better way.
Yeah, I think it is B S. It has been said that it just attracts narcissists.

One I know who uses FB asks me why I "want to communicate with strangers" (on CD). This coming from a person who has 2000 so-called "friends" on FB, claiming they "know all of them personally".

Old 09-20-2018, 06:49 AM

5,567 posts, read 3,976,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Yeah, I find this far more offputting than the positive posts. In fact, oversharing personal miseries has been a factor in my decision NOT to date at least 3 guys I can think of off the top of my head, when I was in the dating market a couple years back. It's one thing to have some struggles in your life, we all do to some degree, it's how you handle it, whether you're capable of stowing your baggage, or whether you smack everyone in the face with it all the time, that counts more to me.
So instead of venting on Facebook, you have 9,439 often very personal posts on this website. Clearly, your method is superior.

Everyone needs an outlet.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:51 AM

11,170 posts, read 7,234,348 times
The vane world of Facebook, or Fakebook, is to a large extent fraud. It's devolved over the years into two groups: 1) those who seek attention and validation through promotion of shiny pictures of their perfect life, and 2) the political and conspiracy nuts who live, drink, and sleep politics.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:42 AM

13,261 posts, read 8,067,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
So in other words, nobody really knows. I suspect the answer is somewhere in between the two extremes: some people are as happy as they appear on FB, and some are not.

I know that I have a carefully curated FB persona. I let my FB friends see only those aspects of me that I want them to see.

That's kind of how I feel. My page, MY content. But whatever I put out there...I'm being real. I just choose to not put what I call 'drama' out there. For instance, if I'm having a disagreement with a family member...I'm not going to put out some passive aggressive bs on my page. I will discuss it privately with the family member. In short...I don't show off dirty laundry.

If someone thinks that me NOT displaying my dirty laundry is me not being real, well...I guess that's too bad.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:54 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,481,174 times
Few people on social media are as happy as they seem. That doesn't necessarily mean they're unhappy, but it's positive PR.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:12 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,372,521 times
eh, most probably aren’t.... I’m sure there’s people that don’t post on facebook and are miserable with their lives. Some just choose to be two-faced to those who don’t know them very well and post about being so happy and having the time of their life

Old 09-20-2018, 11:17 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,710,248 times
Hmmm, so based on this thread, since I mainly post jokes on Facebook, I must be a really serious person since what one posts is the opposite.

I know all my Facebook friends personally. All 78 of them. They are all family, old co-workers, or close friends that I see often. Pretty much, their personalities are what they are on Facebook. The complainers complain, the happy ones post all kinds of happy stuff, the depressed ones post sad stuff, the vain ones post a lot of damn selfies. It never occurred to me that people were posting "happy things" as a lie.

I really think people just edit their lives and what they post and that naturally leads to more "positive" stuff being posted. For example, if I am on vacation, I am posting pictures of the cool stuff I saw. I am not going to post pictures of me standing in line trying to get though TSA and whine about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology