Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 10:55 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,396,566 times

Advertisements

I dunno. I struggle with a lot of things, but my facebook posts are mostly about happy things. I want to share the joy I take in my pets and my friends and family or things that make me laugh. I don't want to post about relationship problems or health issues - that's my crap to deal with. If I need help with something or support, I generally reach out to another person via text or phone or set up lunch with a friend. I mean, I'll offer something supportive to a friend who's having an issue in one of their posts, but I don't really feel like I want to broadcast the negatives in my life that much. Sometimes I'll ***** about a bad headache that's gone on too long or something, but mostly it's with humor or to give people an idea of why I've been incommunicado.

I do post a lot of political stuff that relates to issues I care about. Some of that is not very optimistic or happy.

But no, I don't post when I'm in one of my anxiety spirals or when I'm broke until my next payday. That said, I don't think anyone believes I have a happy shiny life, and I don't try to give that impression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 11:47 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,635,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I don't get Facebook. I've looked at it and I think most of it is just people bragging about their trips, their kids, and their stuff.

In fact, I think that if you spend a lot of time there, you might get envious...and Depressed.

What's the point?
Communication with and connection to others.

The are endless ways to use social media.

If you are easily consumed by envy and depression through such interaction with others, the issue is probably you, versus the medium.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:03 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,207,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
Sometimes you post a ton of pictures because family and relatives live far away. It brings families closer and they can 'participate" in each other's lives even though there are miles and miles between them. It's not all about click's and likes in a fake-happiness narcissistic sort of way. Facebook was/is an excellent tool for exactly what i described for my wife's family. They are scattered all around the globe. It's been terrific to still be able to see them and communicate.

Personally I think a persons response or reaction to a person's posting says more about themselves then those doing the posting.
Like you, I use FB to keep in touch.

If someone is using FB as an escape, or to keep up a deceptive appearance, then it is a free country. People do those things without FB all the time.

I find FB useful. If it is not useful to you, then don’t sign up and use it.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:47 PM

6,311 posts, read 4,211,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I don't get Facebook. I've looked at it and I think most of it is just people bragging about their trips, their kids, and their stuff.

In fact, I think that if you spend a lot of time there, you might get envious...and Depressed.

What's the point?

I am sure there is a lot of that, but for me it's about forging community connections (meal trains, helping local friends, promoting local art events, free items page, special events, ) being alerted to local problems in real time (power outages, robberies, car accidents that block local roads), keeping up with family and friends overseas and across the country.

Last year we had an ice storm and half the village lost power and within minutes we were able to get a team together from the community to deliver candles, food, and extra blankets as well pick up any seniors and transport them to relatives or a warm building.

If you have friends that like to brag then that is going to happen on or off fb, and if you have family that drives you bonkers with pic after pic of their kids then you just unfollow and don't have to see them.
It's all about how you use facebook and who you choose as friends, and what groups you choose to join.

Old 11-16-2017, 01:02 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,402,120 times
I think people who struggle with low self esteem, jealousy or resentment of others, should not use social media. It's only going to make them feel worse.

Old 11-16-2017, 02:05 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,544,471 times
Did you ever get the annual Christmas letters where each family member was practically a Nobel laureate & all vacations were in Aruba? Same thing.

Old 11-16-2017, 02:21 PM

6,311 posts, read 4,211,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Did you ever get the annual Christmas letters where each family member was practically a Nobel laureate & all vacations were in Aruba? Same thing.
Maybe you need a better circle of friends

Old 11-16-2017, 02:30 PM

2,311 posts, read 1,847,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
I have always wondered: Do you think these people are really as happy as they seem? Or are they not, and are instead fishing for "likes" to validate and make them feel better about the life they've chosen?
I had a family member visit another family member. She posted a couple of pictures and said how great of a time they were having. Once the visit was over, I found out from the other family member that it was one of the most depressing, vile, hate-spewing visits they've ever had. No goodbyes were even said after the visit. I let that sink in for awhile, and ultimately just deactivated my account while I went on with my own life.

Old 11-16-2017, 06:51 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,129,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Why would anyone think Aruba is a brag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Last year we had an ice storm and half the village lost power and within minutes we were able to get a team together from the community to deliver candles, food, and extra blankets as well pick up any seniors and transport them to relatives or a warm building.
This! Also, I live in South Florida and it was a great way to keep up with each other and for our families who live elsewhere to keep up with us.

A lot of my friends in the keys were trying to locate loved ones immediately after the hurricane. It was scary and it was nice keeping up with everyone else.

Old 11-16-2017, 09:56 PM

8,183 posts, read 6,940,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
I see many people -- particularly new parents -- post a barrage of pictures on Facebook of themselves, their kids, etc. on a weekly basis. You see everyone smiling in the pics as if they don't have a care in the world.

I have always wondered: Do you think these people are really as happy as they seem?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology