Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 02:53 PM

5,342 posts, read 14,156,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
I see many people -- particularly new parents -- post a barrage of pictures on Facebook of themselves, their kids, etc. on a weekly basis. You see everyone smiling in the pics as if they don't have a care in the world.

I have always wondered: Do you think these people are really as happy as they seem? Or are they not, and are instead fishing for "likes" to validate and make them feel better about the life they've chosen?

What are your thoughts?
is this a real question? if it is, you are really naive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 03:04 PM

17,629 posts, read 13,420,761 times
1st rule of the Internet: Everyone lies

Except me

Maybe

Old 11-15-2017, 03:25 PM

20,417 posts, read 14,717,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post

Except me

Maybe
If you say so.

I don't lie on the internet. My reality is far too bizarre, I am nowhere near creative enough to come up with the stories that real life has handed to me.

Old 11-15-2017, 03:31 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,253,362 times
It could be any of the reasons that you stated. I personally don't worry about what others are doing. I just take them at face value.

I do not like to see people post all their lil ones pics online, but to each his own. It likely is a great way to allow distant relatives to see their children growing.

I am one of those folks that rarely posts pics....and rarely post what I'm doing, certainly not a blow by blow.
I don't think there is any particular reason, except I am a bit private and anyone close enough to be important to me already knows lol.

Old 11-15-2017, 03:42 PM

6,829 posts, read 10,545,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
I see many people -- particularly new parents -- post a barrage of pictures on Facebook of themselves, their kids, etc. on a weekly basis. You see everyone smiling in the pics as if they don't have a care in the world.

I have always wondered: Do you think these people are really as happy as they seem? Or are they not, and are instead fishing for "likes" to validate and make them feel better about the life they've chosen?

I would think that the happier ones don't feel a need to post endless pictures of their kids, the foods they eat, etc. They are content and don't need anyone's approval.

Could it also be that the ones who post incessantly feel more isolated?

What are your thoughts?
I don't think they're as happy as they seem, nor do I think they are all fishing. Facebook is the new photo album or scrap book in some cases. Would you put a picture of your family that isn't 'good' in your album to show to visitors? A few people would for the humor of it, but most put 'good' ones in their album or put things in their scrapbook they want to be able to look at in the future - same for Facebook. You're not seeing their whole life, you're just seeing their photo album. It isn't meant to tell you how happy they are or aren't. It just meant to 'keep in touch' for those who are interested. Some people like to Scrapbook and some don't. Those who do, some of them do it in the Facebook way because it is so easy. No big deal.

Old 11-15-2017, 05:51 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,315,119 times
I find it sad when people are so enamored by their Facebook persona that they spend an entire trip taking and posing for selfies to post online, never really getting to fully experience wherever they are at. It becomes more about sharing the picture and how cool it will appear online than the actual experience itself. They miss out on so much of their short trip by being glued to their phone posting pictures and checking for likes literally for hours a day. I know several people like this. Sad.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:18 PM

638 posts, read 530,636 times
I'm not on facebook any more but let me just put it this way... everyone was super shocked when I got divorced. I don't drag that crap out in my real name on the Internet.

There would be little self-deprecating jokes about sleep while raising small children, but overall, I only posted about recreation, home improvement, or family time.

I didn't brag and I'm not a showy person but I'm sure it looked way better than it actually was! I feel certain that many other people are the same way.

Of course, some people are probably truly happy and good for them. But I would guess that facebook is biased towards unrealistically perfect and ridiculously dramatic.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:52 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,028,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
I find it sad when people are so enamored by their Facebook persona that they spend an entire trip taking and posing for selfies to post online, never really getting to fully experience wherever they are at. It becomes more about sharing the picture and how cool it will appear online than the actual experience itself. They miss out on so much of their short trip by being glued to their phone posting pictures and checking for likes literally for hours a day. I know several people like this. Sad.
It is sad, there are people I don't do things with anymore because of that addiction.
Try camping with someone that can't unplug LOL

Old 11-15-2017, 10:12 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,219,447 times
I think we tend to post things that are positive. Occasionally, someone might post if he or she is troubled or sick. But mostly, we post positive things about ourselves. Really, do you want to read negative posts? If someone is having trouble, I do appreciate hearing about it from the person, but most of us don't really want to read lots of negativity. That is NOT why we participate in FB.

Old 11-16-2017, 01:08 AM

23,255 posts, read 29,108,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post

Except me

Maybe
Only sadists tell the truth, as Man is Ice to Truth, Fire to Falsehoods! The first lesson learned by any politician!

I'm a full-blown atheist, and I don't do a Do-Not-Follow with my super-religious relatives, as I need to entertain myself, occasionally.

"I trust God totally, being in his Loving Hands!"

Time to entertain! "That's what those in Houston, New Orleans, Puerto Rico said before the hurricanes!"

I really think, over time, Facebook will disintegrate, and many will look back on it, and regret they wasted so much time trying to convince people how happy they were!

My 2nd cousin, bless her heart, let's it all hang out! She'll post a picture of her fat stomach, and ask: Do you think I should lose a little weight? She even uploaded a photo of a wart on her finger one time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology