Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 10:31 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,089,905 times

Advertisements

I agree that people put the photos and posts of the good times on facebook and
the struggles are usually private.

But there are certain people who create this false picture of things.
I know someone that went thru a terrible experience and told me
how it was one of the worst days of her life and then posted a photo &
description of the same event on FB like it was magical. That seems to me like
someone that NEEDS approval.

I don't air my dirty laundry on FB but I don't need to fabricate
a perfect life either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 10:46 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,548,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
If you are truly happy, you don't need to let others know. Instead, people who are happy should try to take small step to assist those who are suffering.
Agree with you.

Every younger married couple I have been friends with who were all lovey dovey on FB, have split up.

Many of us older married couples don't even acknowledge sig other unless its their bday etc.

Same way with traveling, the ones really spending months going overseas, don't post or don't even have an account in my world.

A tour of the SW is not just the Grand Canyon and Zion.

Old 11-15-2017, 11:05 AM

2,916 posts, read 2,090,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
Agree with you.

Every younger married couple I have been friends with who were all lovey dovey on FB, have split up.

Many of us older married couples don't even acknowledge sig other unless its their bday etc.

Same way with traveling, the ones really spending months going overseas, don't post or don't even have an account in my world.

A tour of the SW is not just the Grand Canyon and Zion.
I am with you on this.....to a point. I find it "odd" that some couples who are married, and have been married for many years, and are "happily" (or content) married, do not have at least 1 pic of them with their significant other on their FB profile. But that's just me. Reminds me of Dolly Parton and her "ghost husband" of 50 years.....lol

Old 11-15-2017, 11:09 AM

8,444 posts, read 4,796,947 times
I use facebook mostly to post pictures of my kids for relatives who do not get to see them very often. They love getting the updates, especially the older ones. It really makes them happy. I tend to take pictures of my kids being happy and doing happy things. Isn't that what we all take pictures of, when it comes to our families? My life is not perfect but I am, in general, happy and thankful for what I have. I'm sure that shines through in the pictures I take.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:55 PM

2,219 posts, read 2,369,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
I've noticed the exact opposite when it comes to public lovey-dovey 'affection' between couples on FB. The extreme displays are generally a precursor to ultimate split-up. I've seen this with 3 couples.

Ditto. I think those are the most obvious examples. Couples arguing like cats and dogs and within the same day post a pic of how much they love each other and "oh, yeah, our love is stronger than ever"

Old 11-15-2017, 01:47 PM

813 posts, read 717,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I use facebook mostly to post pictures of my kids for relatives who do not get to see them very often. They love getting the updates, especially the older ones. It really makes them happy. I tend to take pictures of my kids being happy and doing happy things. Isn't that what we all take pictures of, when it comes to our families? My life is not perfect but I am, in general, happy and thankful for what I have. I'm sure that shines through in the pictures I take.
Yes there are certain people I love to see posts from--braggy ones and all. I can't get enough of the posts from the folks who are near and dear to me. The people who get on my nerves on Facebook are people who will never be more to me than an acquaintance. I guess it's just hard to pull that trigger and unfollow someone.

Old 11-15-2017, 02:22 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,548,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
I am with you on this.....to a point. I find it "odd" that some couples who are married, and have been married for many years, and are "happily" (or content) married, do not have at least 1 pic of them with their significant other on their FB profile. But that's just me. Reminds me of Dolly Parton and her "ghost husband" of 50 years.....lol
I do have who I'm married to and a pic of us together, wedding date, are linked to each other. I post once in awhile something he'll like on his page and viceversa. But he doesn't follow me around (nor me him) and like everything I post. The young marrieds would like everything, post - Oh I love you, you are so beautiful, No you are, etc. Like Sully and Denise on SNL. Then we see nothing. Then find out they got divorced.

What you post is another interesting thing. As I've noticed some women, don't even list who their husbands are, no pics of hubs, hubs is not a 'friend', post a LOT of drinking with girl friends pics, silly stuff about wine, drinking parties where they all wore their wedding dresses (ladies were 50and up) and then eventually someone asks about husband and they say oh we got divorced a couple months ago.

Over doing it and under doing it are signs of something strange. Everybodyy has good and bad days, its called life.

Last edited by foundapeanut; 11-15-2017 at 02:36 PM..

Old 11-15-2017, 02:26 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,498,859 times
No, they aren't. It just seems that way. It's easy for people to assume things about others, or become envious after spending too much time on "social media".

Old 11-15-2017, 02:30 PM

20,711 posts, read 16,582,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
I read recently that yes some people truly are as happy as they seem on facebook, and that these people really do have their lives together as it appears online.. It can also be a defense mechanism for yourself to think everyone is just fake on facebook and only seeking validation when that is certainty not true in every case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
Interesting. I've read the exact opposite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elusive Enchantment View Post
It could really go either way. You never can truly know what's hidden behind a face.

Some people just post every little thing on social media. That's their choice, but does it necessarily mean they're seeking approval? Possibly. Maybe more so teenagers than adults.
There has been research done, right? Can anyone actually provide a citation?

Old 11-15-2017, 02:34 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,063,379 times
Its no accident that there is no dislike button.

FB and similar are designed to take advantage of human psychology.

It gives you complete control to present an ideal image of yourself and life to the people you know. Its no coincidence that you can scrub and block any comment or person that doesn't conform to this ideal image you have created.

It lets egoist post about their workout, health, smarts etc, and the person with no self esteem post about their relationship, work, how they feel, etc. They both get positive feedback.

Are people on FB as happy as they seem?

Almost certainly not, nobody is happy all the time. Thats life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I've also known a few people who use Facebook as their platform for every emo outburst and ultra-confessional outpouring of personal pain, rants against those who wronged them, have public feuds with others, etc.

Personally, I'll take the person with cute photos of the dog and kids and happy outings with the S.O. any day.
These are the low self esteem people. They get the same reward as people who post how perfect their lives are everyday. It allows them to air emotions without risk of the rejection they might face if they did the same in person. They get a ton of likes about how right they are, how strong they are, and how good a person they are. No different than the narcissist bragging "look at me".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology