Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 10:00 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,936,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Did you ever get the annual Christmas letters where each family member was practically a Nobel laureate & all vacations were in Aruba? Same thing.
And college alumni magazines, and class reunions, etc.

There will always be people who feel threatened, annoyed, envious, scornful, etc. of others seemingly having pleasant things going on in their lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 10:23 PM

8,186 posts, read 7,014,620 times
Speaking of facebook and photos and things...
I liked it better before when pictures were a little more scarce.
So many photos nowadays of people laughing, acting like they're having the time of their life somewhere. When they are, in reality, standing alone in the bathroom taking the pic in the mirror.
I mean, it's just kinda creepy.
I've never taken a selfie, so maybe I just don't understand this phenomenon.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:50 PM

5,400 posts, read 6,606,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Maybe you need a better circle of friends
Oh, those letters are from acquaintances. I have no idea why we get them. Though there are 2 we watch for because they are so full of themselves.

But no worries, I have a great circle of friends.

Old 11-17-2017, 07:18 AM

1,299 posts, read 833,225 times
I deactivated my account last week, but I've been on/off FB over the years.

Different people use it differently. Not a big surprise! It seem that in my feed most people use it like a photo album, showing the fun highlights of their lives. And what's wrong with that? Some use it to gain support for their favourite political issue, some because they can't help but go on about the latest tragedy that has befallen their lives (which happens weekly at least....).

So it's not that I think that anyone is lying or "not as happy as they seem", it's just that we're only seeing a slice of that person's life. I know most of my FB friends in real life and some are long term online acquaintances, so I know them for the rounded people they are. In some cases I know that a person is going through a stressful time, and that's why they like to post vacation pics - as a reminder of where they felt good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
I am with you on this.....to a point. I find it "odd" that some couples who are married, and have been married for many years, and are "happily" (or content) married, do not have at least 1 pic of them with their significant other on their FB profile. But that's just me. Reminds me of Dolly Parton and her "ghost husband" of 50 years.....lol
There were no photos of my husband and I together. He doesn't want to be on it, and I respect his wishes. He's an individual, not an extension of me.

Old 11-17-2017, 07:36 AM

11,556 posts, read 12,127,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Speaking of facebook and photos and things...
I liked it better before when pictures were a little more scarce.
So many photos nowadays of people laughing, acting like they're having the time of their life somewhere. When they are, in reality, standing alone in the bathroom taking the pic in the mirror.
I mean, it's just kinda creepy.
I've never taken a selfie, so maybe I just don't understand this phenomenon.
I think that's why some call it FAKEbook.

We don't know how someone is feeling at any time - on the 'net', on the phone, email, or even face to face because as a rule, people don't talk about their true feelings. There are exceptions of course, those who have 'true' best friends may share their inner most thoughts and emotions.

People may ask, "How are you?", but do they really want to know?

It's said to 'act' happy you'll be happy - maybe, maybe not.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:27 AM

1,393 posts, read 1,802,734 times
I think there's a fine line between sharing memorable, heartfelt moments ("I'm so blessed to be able to experience this with my family") and simply rubbing things in people's faces ("This is the third expensive restaurant we've been to this month!")

As others have said, we have the option to unfollow if it gets on our nerves.

Old 11-17-2017, 10:03 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,087,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
I deactivated my account last week, but I've been on/off FB over the years.

Different people use it differently. Not a big surprise! It seem that in my feed most people use it like a photo album, showing the fun highlights of their lives. And what's wrong with that? Some use it to gain support for their favourite political issue, some because they can't help but go on about the latest tragedy that has befallen their lives (which happens weekly at least....).

So it's not that I think that anyone is lying or "not as happy as they seem", it's just that we're only seeing a slice of that person's life. I know most of my FB friends in real life and some are long term online acquaintances, so I know them for the rounded people they are. In some cases I know that a person is going through a stressful time, and that's why they like to post vacation pics - as a reminder of where they felt good.

There were no photos of my husband and I together. He doesn't want to be on it, and I respect his wishes. He's an individual, not an extension of me.
Spouses ARE actually an extension of you, not to the point where you "control" each other, but I understand what you are saying. Your husband is just a more private person.

Old 11-17-2017, 10:37 PM

35,341 posts, read 31,781,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
I think there's a fine line between sharing memorable, heartfelt moments ("I'm so blessed to be able to experience this with my family") and simply rubbing things in people's faces ("This is the third expensive restaurant we've been to this month!")

As others have said, we have the option to unfollow if it gets on our nerves.
I got a bit wound up for years at the posts of people I wasn't personally close to flaunting wealth. A guy I went to high school with is the head of all Walmart pharmacies in a Southern state at the age of 31. He's been interviewed by Dr. Phil on his TV show and has been on other high end shows. He just seemed like an airhead jock growing up - certainly didn't see capable of the success he's had.

He married another pharmacist. They bought 15 tickets to the TN-LSU game tomorrow to take family and friends tailgating. He sponsored a prime spot in the nearest parking lot to the stadium for a BBQ. Some people couldn't make it, and he's giving away tickets for free.

Walmart has paid for his relo's around the South. He is a wealthy guy. Came from a good family of government workers but no one on his level. He's a 1%er or very close.

I'm a top 15%er locally. I'm doing fine, not great. Compared to him, I'm nothing. I can't judge myself by some outlier on the fringes.

Old 11-18-2017, 12:07 PM

439 posts, read 349,987 times
It really helps BIG BROTHER for you to provide your personal information for free to the entire world.

Keep speeding up the 7 year Tribulation, I am a bit tired of this earth and look forward to heaven

Old 11-19-2017, 03:50 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,217,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I got a bit wound up for years at the posts of people I wasn't personally close to flaunting wealth.

Walmart has paid for his relo's around the South. He is a wealthy guy. Came from a good family of government workers but no one on his level. He's a 1%er or very close.

I'm a top 15%er locally. I'm doing fine, not great. Compared to him, I'm nothing. I can't judge myself by some outlier on the fringes.
Too late, you just did.

I drop on and off it every few years. Couple years back, I unplugged it for years. No big deal. Culled my friends list down severely, too. Cleans up the noise for sure. Someone's feelings will be hurt, along the way, which can't necessarily be helped.

I'm doing "pretty well" as compared to what, myself I guess? My degrees, certs, articles, and delivered projects and mentored peers stand alone as accomplishments. I pay attention to what my true rivals do, and study and emulate their successes. Gradually, I hone my own game. Nothing to dwell on there, if I never make a dime more but keep present money (w/inflation adjustments), I'll retire more than fine and on-time. That's all that matters.

One of my 'inner circle' (a couple guys) always posts happy shots. Truth is he's a ball of neuroses, and I mean truly. I respect that, he's human, and he holds it together with therapy and by talking to pals honestly. What is not to respect about that? Took a couple years for him to trust me, too, which I also respected. But everything isn't always just 'hunky dory' with him, either. Nor is it with me, and I mostly post amusements and jibes vs. accomplishments. I find 'selfies' to be in the poorest possible taste, personally.

Too, I personally think 'having babies' is a train wreck, and don't respond to female friends-of-friends posting shots of the new little kid too terribly often. Not when one of them is already 'broke' and didn't have much to say when asked what new baby would do to her desire to become a teacher, already with two kids. She's a hippie and like the rest of them can't look beyond their own strange beliefs, so power to her I say. Not my concern, I guess, and I muzzle my contempt behind happiness that's she's happy? What else can you do?

I've yet to meet anyone without something weird going on in their life, or at-minimum something not quite so rosy as depicted on FB. Including me, too, I must say! So, just chuckle a bit at all of it, and move along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology