Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 04:06 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
I came across this article on my Facebook page today...

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jennaguilla...kQe#.mvQ0dBglW

It basically lists a bunch of things women have to worry about every day, like walking alone at night, being constantly harassed by men and even carrying keys in their hand as weapons. I read the comments section and many women revealed how much they relate and how they are so frightened to walk alone at night or be on public transportation by themselves.

I'm not trying to accuse them of lying, but it just puzzles me that I can't relate to this at all. I live in Chicago, one of the most dangerous cities in the U.S., and I never feel afraid to walk alone at night by myself... I've ridden the train late at night on my own and never felt threatened. Sure, I've been hit on by men when I'm by myself, but I've never felt like they were going to attack and rape me. There are bad people out there, but I feel like most people are basically good and not out to hurt others.

Do any other women feel the way I do or do I see the world through rose-colored glasses? Do you think many women are overly paranoid about these sorts of things? Please share your thoughts..

I live in Toronto Canada. I think risk levels for being a victim of crime for both men and women in places across the world highly vary. I think women are conditioned to think this way, which really is harmful. Up until my early 20s I had that mentality because I was taught too. This type of attitude causes women to loose out on a lot of experiences. I don't think like this any more. I walk around my city alone day or night ( ex like 1 am) wearing $30 000 plus worth of jewerly with head phones on. I use common sense an spot check periodically behind me really late a night to see if anyone is actually following me when in more secluded areas. I always try to be aware of my surroundings. I also never walk through groups of people that are together. If I do feel uncomfortable I turn the volume off on my head phones, but keep them on. This is an excellent decoy as if the person tries to approach you it leaves them confused as to if you really heard them or not. It also gives you more time to react or not engage in the converstaion with out appearing rude. I have never had an issue. My that does not mean it could not happen as this stuff can happen randomly.

The change in mentality allows me to feel comfortable travelling outside of my city and country alone, going to concerts or events alone and to be able to act the a REAL adult .. not a child.

I think women need to be more assertive when dealing with men. For example if you act all mousey and timid men and other women are going to walk all over you. I have learned to carry myself more assertively to make sure that if anyone even dared attempted to harass, attack or rob me they better be prepared for a verbal and physical fight. I am not going to stand their and start to cry .... I am going to fight back tooth and nail. I think especially in a city envirnoment you need to be able to hold your ground and convery yourself in an assertive way otherwise certain low lives are going to try to pull stuff on you. Regardless after working like 12 hours in a stressful job anyone who dare try messing with me may need an abumlance after the fact.

Women need to learn to verbally and physical hit back when needed. Take a self dense class if needed... but not limit your freedom due to fear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 04:13 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,333,000 times
I wouldn't say what I typically feel is scared or fear, though there are times when I've definitely been scared I would say it's usually just being hyper aware of my surroundings and paying attention, it's a bit of a flight or fight response.

Old 03-09-2017, 04:16 PM

1,478 posts, read 787,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
I came across this article on my Facebook page today...

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jennaguilla...kQe#.mvQ0dBglW

It basically lists a bunch of things women have to worry about every day, like walking alone at night, being constantly harassed by men and even carrying keys in their hand as weapons. I read the comments section and many women revealed how much they relate and how they are so frightened to walk alone at night or be on public transportation by themselves.

I'm not trying to accuse them of lying, but it just puzzles me that I can't relate to this at all. I live in Chicago, one of the most dangerous cities in the U.S., and I never feel afraid to walk alone at night by myself... I've ridden the train late at night on my own and never felt threatened. Sure, I've been hit on by men when I'm by myself, but I've never felt like they were going to attack and rape me. There are bad people out there, but I feel like most people are basically good and not out to hurt others.

Do any other women feel the way I do or do I see the world through rose-colored glasses? Do you think many women are overly paranoid about these sorts of things? Please share your thoughts..
I'm a man and I live in Milwaukee and I'm usually concerned and aware when I'm walking at night. Eh, I have to be on guard waking in the day light in certain areas. Well, I don't have to but I do. Kind of like people in rural or tiny town Wisconsin often leave their doors unlocked at night and their empty car running as they walk into a store. Neither I would do.

Some of these assumptions are stupid. A good number of male military combat veterans living for decades in the USA still don't like sitting with their backs to doors or others. Why? They are men and men have no worry about being attacked and harmed correct? Wrong.

Old 03-09-2017, 04:24 PM

1,478 posts, read 787,855 times
Then you have these women that street prostitute, get into cars with strange men, are belligerent as can be, have the courage of a dozen Navy SEALs, and routinely try to steal and cheat money from male strangers.

So, what "women" are we talking about?

The shorter man may assume the much talker man has no fear ever. Likewise, for some stupid reason women think all men or most men walk around any and everywhere totally blissful with no concern or worry, no fear.

Not true. If that were true men should have no fear being sent to men's prisons. After all, they can simply "defend themselves."

Old 03-09-2017, 04:43 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,127,052 times
Only when they are not openly carrying an Uzi.

Old 03-09-2017, 05:04 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I live in Toronto Canada. I think risk levels for being a victim of crime for both men and women in places across the world highly vary. I think women are conditioned to think this way, which really is harmful. Up until my early 20s I had that mentality because I was taught too. This type of attitude causes women to loose out on a lot of experiences. I don't think like this any more. I walk around my city alone day or night ( ex like 1 am) wearing $30 000 plus worth of jewerly with head phones on. I use common sense an spot check periodically behind me really late a night to see if anyone is actually following me when in more secluded areas. I always try to be aware of my surroundings. I also never walk through groups of people that are together. If I do feel uncomfortable I turn the volume off on my head phones, but keep them on. This is an excellent decoy as if the person tries to approach you it leaves them confused as to if you really heard them or not. It also gives you more time to react or not engage in the converstaion with out appearing rude. I have never had an issue. My that does not mean it could not happen as this stuff can happen randomly.

The change in mentality allows me to feel comfortable travelling outside of my city and country alone, going to concerts or events alone and to be able to act the a REAL adult .. not a child.

I think women need to be more assertive when dealing with men. For example if you act all mousey and timid men and other women are going to walk all over you. I have learned to carry myself more assertively to make sure that if anyone even dared attempted to harass, attack or rob me they better be prepared for a verbal and physical fight. I am not going to stand their and start to cry .... I am going to fight back tooth and nail. I think especially in a city envirnoment you need to be able to hold your ground and convery yourself in an assertive way otherwise certain low lives are going to try to pull stuff on you. Regardless after working like 12 hours in a stressful job anyone who dare try messing with me may need an abumlance after the fact.

Women need to learn to verbally and physical hit back when needed. Take a self dense class if needed... but not limit your freedom due to fear.
Sure...I'll fight to be sure I'm not dragged into a vehicle but I'm not gonna fight to keep my purse! I've even heard of guys carrying a fake wallet with a bit of cash and maybe some used up gift cards (to look like credit cards). Then they throw it at the would be thief and run away with their real wad. Why would I get into a fight if they don't?

Old 03-09-2017, 05:09 PM

814 posts, read 580,354 times
A woman alone anywhere, day or night, can be considered as prey to certain types of men. How many young women have been murdered just for going jogging on their own?

As strong as we women are and are becoming more so every day, it's still a man's world when it comes to our safety.

Old 03-09-2017, 05:14 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,994,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post

We're talking about two different things here.

First, op asks about women being wary or afraid in certain situations. Now you're talking about women restricting activity due to that fear. Very, very different.

I travel alone, walk alone, and am pretty independent in daily life. That doesn't mean I feel comfortable walking through a dark parking garage at night, alone.

Old 03-09-2017, 05:42 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
I don't mind walking around in my subdivision, but I agree with another poster that I get creeped out walking in a stores parking lot by myself after dark.

Old 03-09-2017, 05:44 PM

1,299 posts, read 822,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
I travel alone, walk alone, and am pretty independent in daily life. That doesn't mean I feel comfortable walking through a dark parking garage at night, alone.
This is me, too.
Being aware of your surroundings and acting appropriately is just street sense, man or woman. Parking garages are odd places, it makes sense to be wary.

I've never had trouble randomly on the street, even in my teens/20s when I went a lot of places alone that people told me were "scary". It doesn't mean I'll never have trouble, but I don't go around thinking it's always around the corner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology