Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 03:40 PM

15,443 posts, read 21,479,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Who is putting down who? The bulk of the put-downs and personal attacks have been coming from those who are offended by anyone who chooses not to shop at Walmart and actually cares what they eat - and you happen to be the most prolific one. If someone else's habits make you feel inferior, then the problem isn't with the other party. No one can "make" you feel inferior - that is most likely due to a perceived slight happening in your head.
Most of the anti-Walmart sentiment is founded in a perceived lost of American jobs caused by large Corporation and not prejudicial assumptions about eating habits. Walmart shoppers could care less that you and your family eat what you perceive as healthy foods. We only become concerned when you lightly assume Walmart shoppers do not which brings to mind the old adage about those who make assumptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 03:46 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,348,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Actually, a lot of the seafood at Wallyworld comes from China, I have never seen a section in the produce section of any Walmart devoted to local growers.
Nor will you ever. It goes against everything Walmart stands for; I.E. cheapest bulk buy of lowest quality stuff possible.

Personally, I don't shop at Walmart because I find the quality of stuff at Walmart to be exceedingly poor. Pants that rip after just a couple of times being used. Extremely low thread count clothing or linens. Electronics striped of most features just so the price can be lowered a few pennies. Lowest quality food possible sold for the lowest price possible, etc...

The reality is for just 5%-10% more you can shop at other places and get much higher quality goods which will last much longer. Even other discount retailers like Target sell much higher quality goods for just slightly more in price. If you don't believe me take a shirt from Walmart and put it next to a shirt from Target. The Target shirt will have a higher thread count, will be more elastic, it will be pre-shrunk while the Walmart one won't, and after washing it the color will not fade as fast. Yet the Walmart one will be $9 and the Target one will be $11. You can do the same comparison with electronics or just about any catagory you like but the results will always be the same. Walmart can have the lowest price mainly because Walmart is selling the lowest quality goods.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:46 PM

8,650 posts, read 17,298,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
No argument from me about selling China's products - I agree w/ you.

There are ways to compete against WalMart if companies put in the time, effort, and money. I just dislike false outrage.
And you think wally world is 100% honest? Falling prices????

Old 06-08-2010, 03:50 PM

42,732 posts, read 30,028,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Nor will you ever. It goes against everything Walmart stands for; I.E. cheapest bulk buy of lowest quality stuff possible.

Personally, I don't shop at Walmart because I find the quality of stuff at Walmart to be exceedingly poor. Pants that rip after just a couple of times being used. Extremely low thread count clothing or linens. Electronics striped of most features just so the price can be lowered a few pennies. Lowest quality food possible sold for the lowest price possible, etc...

The reality is for just 5%-10% more you can shop at other places and get much higher quality goods which will last much longer. Even other discount retailers like Target sell much higher quality goods for just slightly more in price. If you don't believe me take a shirt from Walmart and put it next to a shirt from Target. The Target shirt will have a higher thread count, will be more elastic, it will be pre-shrunk while the Walmart one won't, and after washing it the color will not fade as fast. Yet the Walmart one will be $9 and the Target one will be $11. You can do the same comparison with electronics or just about any catagory you like but the results will always be the same. Walmart can have the lowest price mainly because Walmart is selling the lowest quality goods.
Actually, they have local produce sections in several area Wal-Marts where I live. So your assertion, "nor will they ever", is erroneous.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:37 PM

Interesting. I've never seen that. Ever.

Do you have a link?

Old 06-08-2010, 04:47 PM

23,405 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Interesting. I've never seen that. Ever.

Do you have a link?
I've never seen it, either.
One of my BFF's is a produce manager at a Walmart in Mo, just texted her about it, she says no such thing exists in her region, which is puzzling, its farm country there, with a LOT of locally produced fruits and veggies.
One would think that if it exists, it would exist in a region like that.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:59 PM

39,955 posts, read 26,723,247 times
Quote:
...The reality is for just 5%-10% more you can shop at other places and get much higher quality goods which will last much longer. Even other discount retailers like Target sell much higher quality goods for just slightly more in price. If you don't believe me take a shirt from Walmart and put it next to a shirt from Target. The Target shirt will have a higher thread count, will be more elastic, it will be pre-shrunk while the Walmart one won't, and after washing it the color will not fade as fast. Yet the Walmart one will be $9 and the Target one will be $11. You can do the same comparison with electronics or just about any catagory you like but the results will always be the same. Walmart can have the lowest price mainly because Walmart is selling the lowest quality goods.
In many if not most cases, Target sells exactly the same name brand products made in the same (often Chinese) factories that Wal-Mart does. Only difference is that them charge 10-20% more for the same thing. I figure Target is a lot like Starbucks-they can always find some narcistic types that will pay too much for the same product just 'cause they think it makes them look more "sophisticated" to shop there. Tarjei-shique.

My biggest complaint about Wal-Mart is that most of the employees don't know a thing about the products they sell. Still, that's no different than most other discount stores.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:00 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,960,497 times
Wow, this thread is a bit raucous.

In the end, it's just a story about one company that sells overpriced low-quality products(SuperValu and its various subsidiaries), against another company that sells cheap low-quality products(Wally).

Old 06-08-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
In many if not most cases, Target sells exactly the same name brand products made in the same (often Chinese) factories that Wal-Mart does. Only difference is that them charge 10-20% more for the same thing. I figure Target is a lot like Starbucks-they can always find some narcistic types that will pay too much for the same product just 'cause they think it makes them look more "sophisticated" to shop there. Tarjei-shique.

My biggest complaint about Wal-Mart is that most of the employees don't know a thing about the products they sell. Still, that's no different than most other discount stores.
Yep, but take a look at a Sony TV at both Walmart and target then compare the product numbers on the back. You'll notice that the Target TV is a standard model which you can find on Sony's website while the Walmart TV is in fact a special only at Walmart TV model. What's the difference? Walmart demands the last penny out of suppliers so to get the rock bottom lowest price Sony (or any maker really) will eliminate what were other wise standard features, they'll lower the specs a bit here and there, and generally make it a worse TV set.

You are right though. They will both say Sony so make sure you compare the model numbers. I can also agree that most discount stores have workers who don't know anything about their products but when you pay people close to minimum wage that's what you get and all of them do the same. As for people who prefer not to buy the lowest quality goods being narcissists... Wow, I'm just going to have to say we disagree there and some of us prefer not to buy the lowest quality possible especially when substantially better quality can be had for just slightly more.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:15 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,824,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

Another method for killing the free market in America - fake protests and outrage.

Are these supermarket chains to greedy to lower their prices to compete with Walmart?
Fake protests indeed. Now think about other so called protests. How many do you think are real ? How many "grassroots" issues are really grassroots.

This is but the tip of the iceberg my friend.

Why here in Texas we just found out that the Green Party will now be on the ballot. But..the Green Party here in Texas didn't do anything to make that happen. Some marketing company in Missouri was paid to come to Texas and get signatures and give them to the Green Party here "as a gift" to qualify to be on the ballot.

Interesting read..a consultant in AZ, a marketing firm in Chicago and a contract with "Take Initiative America" and the consultant is declining to say who is paying for this.

The election folks say they are going to throw this out as illegal.

Bid to put a Green in Texas governor race may be illegal, expert says | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Texas Politics | The Dallas Morning News

Last edited by HappyTexan; 06-08-2010 at 05:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies