Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 01:48 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,219,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
When I am interested in your opinion of me, I'll be sure to let you know.

Now let's see if you can actually discuss the subject of this thread instead of speculating on my motives.

I don't buy food at Target either. I know where the food at my local grocery store comes from. I ask questions when in doubt. So now if someone cares about the quality of the food they consume they are snobs. This is getting funnier and funnier! We don't need photos of Walmart shoppers to bring levity to this thread - we need look no further than the emotional responses from the forum members who apparently have a horse in this race. (Or their feet in the aisles of Walmart.)
I call BS. Either you live in Podunk Town, USA, where Billy's Corner Market is the only place to buy food, you buy only organic everything (which is impossible), or you're a terrible liar (yes, I said liar.) Having done a tour of duty in the grocery business prior to my aviation days, I can assure you that not one person in the entire grocery store can tell you where your food came from. I managed in excess of $250K of grocery inventory every single week and coudln't tell you where any of it was harvested or processed. The ONLY people that MAY have an idea are those that can read a label on the side of a produce box or a meat carton in the backroom freezer. NONE of this is readily available information to the general grocery employee. And its certainly not common knowledge that you're required to know in case of customer inquiry.

I call major BS. You have some explaining to do. I stand ready to defend my assertion whenever you're ready.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 01:58 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,601,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I call BS. Either you live in Podunk Town, USA, where Billy's Market is the only place to buy food, you buy only organic everything (which is impossible), or you're a terrible liar (yes, I said liar.) Having done a tour of duty in the grocery business prior to my aviation days, I can assure you that not one person in the entire grocery store can tell you where you're food came from. I managed in excess of $250K of grocery inventory every single week and coudln't tell you where any of it was harvested or processed. The ONLY people that MAY have an idea are those that can read a lable on the side of a produce box or a meat carton in the backroom freezer. NONE of this is readily available information to the general grocery employee.
I live in podunk Los Angeles. The crates and cartons you speak of have floor time in the produce section - the grocers stock the displays right from the cartons. Just because you didn't bother to educate yourself on your own inventory doesn't mean every grocery store employee is as aloof as you apparently were. Most of the produce has country of origin listed right at the display if it is from outside the US. Most of the produce imports are from South America (Chile and Peru). The farmers markets I shop have to sell food they produce themselves. We don't eat food processed or cultivated in China.

You can call me a liar all day long if that makes you feel better about your boorish posting skills. Why you would think that someone is a liar because they are conscientious of how they spend their money and what they feed their families says more about you than it does about me.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:10 PM

15,443 posts, read 21,486,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHolliday! View Post
HeyHolliday!
I have homes in one large SW American city and another near a very small west Texas town. My family uses Walmart in both locations because of convenience and savings. Those who blame Walmart for a global market are simply not in touch with today's economics. I've been told I'm not very progressive but I do like to consider myself somewhat intelligent. I would like very much to go back to the days when a bottle of Pepsi was $0.15 at the local Beasley's Sinclair Station but that simply is not going to happen. Likewise I drive a GMC 3/4 ton truck to pull my farm equipment and a Honda Accord to drive back and forth between my homes.

Adapt or die is a basic biological concept.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:10 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,883,787 times
Quote:
I have no problem with anyone's efforts to keep Walmart out of the neighborhood. Who needs more crap from China? As stated by Peggy, you just take a look inside and know better than to shop there. I present Exhibit A:

Funny Pictures at WalMart

Click on "more creatures" - if you dare.
Take a look at where your stuff is made no matter where you buy it Might id say C H I N A?

Old 06-08-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
I live in podunk Los Angeles. The crates and cartons you speak of have floor time in the produce section - the grocers stock the displays right from the cartons. Just because you didn't bother to educate yourself on your own inventory doesn't mean every grocery store employee is as aloof as you apparently were. Most of the produce has country of origin listed right at the display if it is from outside the US. Most of the produce imports are from South America (Chile and Peru). The farmers markets I shop have to sell food they produce themselves. We don't eat food processed or cultivated in China.

You can call me a liar all day long if that makes you feel better about your boorish posting skills. Why you would think that someone is a liar because they are conscientious of how they spend their money and what they feed their families says more about you than it does about me.
How convenient. You only refer to produce, of which I provided a clear caveat for. Surely you don't live off of fruits and vegetables, right? Absolutely nothing is boxed, canned, or otherwise processed, right?

I call BS to the highest degree.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:17 PM

4,788 posts, read 5,927,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I don't really go to Walmart to look at people's butt cracks but if that is your thing, hey, go for it. Are you saying then it is Democrats who mostly inhabit Walmart? I still doubt that.
I was referring to the delightful youtube presentation in this thread. If I need to look at butt cracks, I have several mirrors. None purchased at Wal Mart, mind you. And where, pray tell, did I mention Democrats ? You have a lot of time on your hands ?

Old 06-08-2010, 02:24 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,601,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
How convenient. You only refer to produce, of which I provided a clear caveat for. Surely you don't live off of fruits and vegetables, right? Absolutely nothing is boxed, canned, or otherwise processed, right?

I call BS to the highest degree.
We don't eat processed (junk) food for the most part. Regardless of which country it is produced in. Our diet consists mostly of local produce, staple ingredients that I prepare in my kitchen. And it doesn't only apply to produce - the meat and seafood department at the stores I shop also clearly indicate the source of their items as well.

So now it is BS to the highest degree if people actually are mindful of what they consume? Should I start buying Cheez Whiz and sodey pop to make you feel better about your own diet?

Old 06-08-2010, 02:24 PM

46,000 posts, read 27,672,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
DRob4Jc -

What are you asking? Is there a difference between capitalist market theory and actual business. Yes there is.

I meant that there is a vast difference between the economic theory of Capitalism with its open free markets without any barriers to entry or ability to influence prices and the art of business that very effectively destroys that market. The theoretical free markets of capitalistic economic theory are incredibly difficult places to make money compared with the effective monopolies enjoyed by the big grocery chains and Wal-Mart.
I think it depends on how the monopoly was created. If it was created through free market competition, then it is good. If it created by political moves and behind the scenes actions - then it isn't good, and it isn't capitalism. And usually if a company has to resort to tricks to defeat the competition, then there is a flaw that other companies may be able to take advantage of.

Walmart is not a monopoly. They are the leader right now.

I actually don't care for the way they got to where they are. A French retail group originated the combination of grocery/department store outlet - Auchan's Hypermarket. Their first outlet in the US which was literally right down the street from where I used to live. Walmart visited their store and Auchan's let them take pictures - which was stupid - and Walmart followed the model and the rest is history. Auchan's of course is no longer in the US.

Walmart took advantage of the opportunity given them and made the most of it. I don't like it, but I'm not mad at them either.

Right now, Walmart has the price, convenience, and the products that many people want. Those, who don't care for the store environment or who do have the money to pay their higher price for better quality still have the choice to do so at other stores.

Is there any case where a monopoly or a company who has most of the market share just in receiving its profits?

Old 06-08-2010, 02:25 PM

15,443 posts, read 21,486,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
I was referring to the delightful youtube presentation in this thread. If I need to look at butt cracks, I have several mirrors. None purchased at Wal Mart, mind you. And where, pray tell, did I mention Democrats ? You have a lot of time on your hands ?
I simply responded to nonsense with nonsense.

And yes, as my user name implies to many, I am retired.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
We don't eat processed (junk) food for the most part. Regardless of which country it is produced in. Our diet consists mostly of local produce, staple ingredients that I prepare in my kitchen. And it doesn't only apply to produce - the meat and seafood department at the stores I shop also clearly indicate the source of their items as well.

So now it is BS to the highest degree if people actually are mindful of what they consume? Should I start buying Cheez Whiz and sodey pop to make you feel better about your own diet?
I'll cheerfully commend anyone who maintains a healthy diet. But that's not the issue. The issue is that you proudly claim that you know of your food sources and you're able to do so because you don't shop at Wal-Mart. Furthermore, even the strictest of diets can't avoid processed food of some sort unless you grow it in your backyard and make your dishes from scratch. I highly doubt you milk your own cows or curdle your own cheese and butter.

This entire conversation is about you (and others) who insist on riding your High Horse to town while you proudly flip Wal-mart off on the way to the corner market - which, by the way, pretends that it the only place that offers you something that only the most consciencious of shoppers would approve. In your world, conscientious shoppers simply can't shop at Wal-mart, which is total bunk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies