Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 03:02 PM

42,732 posts, read 30,144,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Actually, a lot of the seafood at Wallyworld comes from China, I have never seen a section in the produce section of any Walmart devoted to local growers.
Well, they are out there. Next time I go I'll take a picture, but it may be a while because I'm picking blueberries and blackberries from my own garden right now, and visiting local farms for raspberries and strawberries. I'll be checking out the local farmers markets for things I don't grow. But I won't hang my head in shame when I visit the local Wal-Mart and pick up some of those grapes from Chile. And the fresh seafood section at my Wal-Mart does label where the seafood comes from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 03:05 PM

15,443 posts, read 21,548,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
well, you made me laugh. I have been retired all my life. No hard feelings...
Not at all. I need to be out mowing the pasture but I just can't take the heat anymore.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Dont try to bait me, buster.
Dont try to put words in my mouth either. I never said ONE word about not shopping at Walmart, I didnt personally attack you.
You need to simmer down, you are waaaaaay too angry, you're gonna have a stroke.
I don't need to simmer down. I'm not angry at all. I'm just pointing out that part of the anti-Wal-Mart cultural movement is deeply vested in snobbery. People make themselves feel better about their lives by avoiding shopping at Wal-Mart and putting down people who do.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:10 PM

23,405 posts, read 37,266,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Yes, I call BS. I'd bet the farm that there are processed foods in your pantry. Perhaps very minimal, but you can't tell me that every piece of food that you eat comes straight from the ground or the pasture. I highly doubt you mill your own wheat for your cereals, your breads, your pie crusts, your whatever. Just because they tell you what county it comes from, doesn't mean it wasn't processed using additives of some sort. There is no such thing as totally organic, no matter how hard you folks try to tell us otherwise.
You need to get outta the city more, the flour I buy comes from a farm in my hometown, totally organic, I have it shipped here, same thing with cornmeal.
The only thing that could possibly be construed as "processed" that is in my pantry are spices, and those are organic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
You and your high-falutin' ways - how dare you? Don't you know you are insulting the fine folks who gobble up the Walmart goodies?

(I grow my own garden too - there is nothing like fresh tomatoes ripened on your own vines plucked minutes before consumption. )
I'm just awful, arent I? How dare I contradict anyone?
Some folks just cant comprehend that we are out here, doing our thing, and eating well!
I picked a bushel of tomatoes this morning, what we didnt eat right away is going to be canned tonight, after it cools off.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:13 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,668,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I don't need to simmer down. I'm not angry at all. I'm just pointing out that part of the anti-Wal-Mart cultural movement is deeply vested in snobbery. People make themselves feel better about their lives by avoiding shopping at Wal-Mart and putting down people who do.
Who is putting down who? The bulk of the put-downs and personal attacks have been coming from those who are offended by anyone who chooses not to shop at Walmart and actually cares what they eat - and you happen to be the most prolific one. If someone else's habits make you feel inferior, then the problem isn't with the other party. No one can "make" you feel inferior - that is most likely due to a perceived slight happening in your head.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Who is putting down who? The bulk of the put-downs and personal attacks have been coming from those who are offended by anyone who chooses not to shop at Walmart and actually cares what they eat - and you happen to be the most prolific one. If someone else's habits make you feel inferior, then the problem isn't with the other party. No one can "make" you feel inferior - that is most likely due to a perceived slight happening in your head.
What were those links you posted? Tributes to shoppers at Wal-Mart???

Don't try to turn this around on me. You thought it was funny to put links on an anti-Wal-Mart thread that went to websites that exist solely to demean people who shop at Wal-Mart. Someone else called you on it, and you did the, "I'm not responsible for what's on that website" dance. And I pointed out that you were responsible for putting the link in your post, and that it wasn't nice to put down other people. I haven't insulted or attacked anyone. I've just pointed out that when someone puts another person down because of their appearance, or because of their income levels, or because of where they shop or what they eat, it's snobbery. It's putting down other people to make yourself feel better.

Most people who shop at Wal-Mart are picking up basic household staples. Things like paper towels and toilet paper. They don't deserve to be ridiculed because they are trying to live on a budget.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:31 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,821,591 times
Quote:
We don't eat processed (junk) food for the most part. Regardless of which country it is produced in. Our diet consists mostly of local produce, staple ingredients that I prepare in my kitchen. And it doesn't only apply to produce - the meat and seafood department at the stores I shop also clearly indicate the source of their items as well.

So now it is BS to the highest degree if people actually are mindful of what they consume? Should I start buying Cheez Whiz and sodey pop to make you feel better about your own diet?
Cheez Wiz, one of man's greatest inventions.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:32 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,577,632 times
Don't make me laugh please! mostly everything we get, from Wal-mart, K-mart, Target, J.C. Penneys, Sears, carries some of the same exact items, i know, i have seem them in the same stores. From China, tell me something we do not get from China these days, wal-mart is not the only store selling items from china, if you think this, you think wrong. I have many friends who work in Large Department Stores and a friend who works in Wal-mart, they each carry some of the same exact items, maybe with a different name, but most of us already know this. Everything these days from Furnishings, to clothing, to shoes, to basic everyday items come from China. Try to find American Made Furniture, won't happen, and when you do, you will be paying a hefty price, I have bought a flat screen tv at wal-mart 5 years ago, GUESS WHAT SEARS, TARGET, BEST BUY SAMS CLUB, COSTCO AND OTHERS had that same exact tv, i got that flat screen for $219.99 cheaper TO $259.00 cheaper then any where else, guess what, STILL GOING TODAY, Even with a sale price, Target and Sears, did not come close, i like to save money, i happen to go into a super Wal-mart that is very nice, don't pay attnetion to who looks like a model or who does not, don't look at the clothes people wear, just get in there, do my thing save money, and out i go. To think that only wal-mart carries good from China, is just plain ignorant, they get so much of the same exact merchandise, but change names for the different stores. I don't go into wal-mart looking for the most popular of people, i go in thre, to save money and most of the time i most certainly do. If you are going to come down on wal-mart then you better with the other's Target, and K-mart.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
It's not my website - I'm sorry that you don't understand that a person who posts a link isn't in charge of the content of the posted link. Did they capture your photo too or something? Not sure where your misguided animosity is coming from.
Quote:
I disagree - the website is dedicated to demeaning people based on where they spend their money. As in - at Walmart.
Websites like mullet.com are based on appearances alone.

Opinions aside, though - the misguided animosity was in reference to the tag of "creatures" - which has nothing to do with me. I didn't refer to these people as creatures. I hope you understand the difference.
Quote:
When I am interested in your opinion of me, I'll be sure to let you know.
Now let's see if you can actually discuss the subject of this thread instead of speculating on my motives.

I don't buy food at Target either. I know where the food at my local grocery store comes from. I ask questions when in doubt. So now if someone cares about the quality of the food they consume they are snobs. This is getting funnier and funnier! We don't need photos of Walmart shoppers to bring levity to this thread - we need look no further than the emotional responses from the forum members who apparently have a horse in this race. (Or their feet in the aisles of Walmart.)
Quote:
Who is putting down who?

Perhaps you need to look at your own posts.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:35 PM

4,795 posts, read 5,947,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Cheez Wiz, one of man's greatest inventions.
So is Ex-Lax
...which will be needed to expel that Cheez Whiz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies