Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 05:08 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,348,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Clean, Modern stores, Wide Aisles, great selection, good prices - all this and more cause you to "run as fast as you could the other way"? roflmao!

WalMart carries the SAME brand names, manufactured in the same places, as you will find in any other department store.

And this is a fact.
Sorry but that is not a fact. Walmart like any department store caters to its customers and won't carry products that won't sell. Given the fact that Walmart shoppers are lower socieconomically than Target shoppers, it's no suprise Walmart carries less expensive products than Target. Walmart doesn't carry the same quality of furniture that Target has. Target also carries certain electronics that Walmart doesn't carry. Target will usually carry Apple brand accessories for the Ipod, Iphone etc whereas Walmart will carry some generic brand for these same products. The Blue Ray selection at Target is larger and more complete than the ones at Walmart. With regard to bedding, Target carries higher brands of comforters, towels and bed sheets. Even with clothing, Target was carry clothing designed by Isaac Mizrahi that was exclusive to Target. Yes, Walmart and Target carry most products in common but not every product.

Walmart offers lower prices to attract bigger crowds. Target has to distinguish itself from Walmart so it invests heavily in creating a better ambience. Target knows it's not going to get more shoppers than Walmart so they focus on quality and charge higher prices. They offer better intagibles to lure wealthy shoppers who don't mind spending more money to have a better shopping experience. This is why Target stores are designed better. Everything from their shopping carts to their bathrooms are better at Target. Walmart is not trying to compete with Target. Walmart attracts the masses so they are not concerned with providing the most posh ambience. They have more stores. Their stores are larger and bigger. They are not trying to be like Target and offer less products, more expensive products and offer smaller stores with more aisle space. They have two different business plans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 05:56 AM
zox

344 posts, read 480,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
What a JOY it must be to be put out of your mom and pop business, then stuffed into a tacky blue uniform so you can be part of a corporate nightmare.
Shouldn't the consumers in these small towns share part of the blame with regard to the death of mom and pop stores? After all, they are the ones who chose to shop at Walmart instead of their locally owned stores. Shouldn't they be held responsible? They chose to shop at Walmart instead of their local store just to save a few cents on an item. They had an opportunity to preserve their local businesses but instead chose to shop at Walmart even if it meant saving pennies. In these discussions, it suprises me when people don't hold the people in these small towns responsible for Walmart infiltrating their economy.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:08 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,684,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zox View Post
Shouldn't the consumers in these small towns share part of the blame with regard to the death of mom and pop stores? After all, they are the ones who chose to shop at Walmart instead of their locally owned stores. Shouldn't they be held responsible? They chose to shop at Walmart instead of their local store just to save a few cents on an item. They had an opportunity to preserve their local businesses but instead chose to shop at Walmart even if it meant saving pennies. In these discussions, it suprises me when people don't hold the people in these small towns responsible for Walmart infiltrating their economy.
Absolutely right. It wouldn't take a secret coalition of businesses to put a stop to Wal-Mart; just less patronage by potential customers.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:13 AM
zox

344 posts, read 480,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Absolutely right. It wouldn't take a secret coalition of businesses to put a stop to Wal-Mart; just less patronage by potential customers.
It's a lot of sentimental nonsense. It isn't fashionable to criticize Aunt Bea, Andy, Barnie and Opie because they are just innocent town folk. Let's point the finger at the Big Box store Walmart for offering prices that were so low the good people in the town had no choice but to betray their communities to save 10 cents on lettuce. But I think we are simplifying things. Price was not the only reason people chose Walmart over the local mom and pop store. Walmart insituted practices that are standard today. Their return policy, layaway policy, extended store hours, the "customer is always right" idea, all helped make Walmart the power it is today.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:25 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,927,409 times
I am a potential Wal-Mart customer that has never bought anything major at Wal-Mart. I did purchase some video tape because Wal-Mart was the only store carrying the brand I like. I still go to my old time local auto parts store because they have what I need at mechanic's discount. The newer and slicker stores carry junk. The big box stores I favor are LOWES and SEARS because most of their products are of good quality and reasonably priced.

I believe the success of Wal-Mart was created by the stagnating values of the wages earned by the lower levels of the working classes in our economy. The money they should have had to spend on local mom & pop stores went to the top of the economy where it was gambled away by the mortgage bankers. Thank you Ronnie Raygun.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:27 AM

13,009 posts, read 18,971,858 times
The problem with Wal-mart is it goes for the lowest common denominator. If there are several sizes of mayo, they will carry only the one with the highest volume. There is limited brand selection and emphasis on their private label. They have a reputation as the cheapest, so many customers never shop anywhere else, even if certain items may sell for less elsewhere. I guess this is getting off the subject a bit.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:33 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,969,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Right-wingers hate political correctness so let's eliminate P.C. and just admit that Walmart is for poor people and Target is for the wealthy. It is class warfare. Target charges higher prices and provides a better shopping environment that lures white collar shoppers whereas Walmart offers lower prices at the expense of poorer service and a weaker ambience. And this fact is reflected in every element. Target carries many expensive products that Walmart doesn't carry. Target's store layout is more attractive and usually smaller. Target has less congestion. The employees at Target seem to be higher educated, more clean cut and younger. That is probably a result of Target paying better wages which attracts better job applicants. Target doesn't allow groups to loiter or pander for money like Walmart. I've never seen a group of wheel chaired veterans with a can asking for money or a girl scouts group selling cookies at Target. I've never seen benches outside Target with teenagers loitering outside the entrance but this seems to be a regular occurrence at Walmart. Target doesn't allow those groups to loiter because they don't want their customers being harrassed.
Target where I live pays the same wages as Wal-Mart. I've seen groups of teenagers loitering outside Target, just like they loiter outside mall entrances.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:11 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,241,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zox View Post
I grew up before Walmart was around.

Our small town mom and pop grocery stores made a killing out of gouging us cuz they had us over a barrel. ( no competition and traveling long distances wasn't done)

Seems those mom and pop store owners spent a lot of energy writing letters to newspapers opposing Walmart moving to a small, nearby, small town.

Of course they would !
They didn't want anyone spoiling their " golden goose"

While the majority of customers in our area scratched out a living and paid those high prices at the mom and pop local grocery store, the owners ( mom and pop) retired quite well off.

I know several retired " mom and pops" who still complain about how Walmart forced them to close.

They own a nice lake cabin, new pickup. new camper, and nice house.

Yup--------------all payed for by us customers who were held hostage to their high prices and very profitable small town grocery store.

Thank you Walmart.

Thank you for bringing some competition to rural America and providing some relief from the price gouging mom and pop stores !

Old 06-11-2010, 08:25 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,466,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
What a JOY it must be to be put out of your mom and pop business, then stuffed into a tacky blue uniform so you can be part of a corporate nightmare.
Supervalu, Target, Meijers, and other large chain stores often put mom and pop stores out of business. Yet I only hear complaints when Walmart does this.

The least you all could do is be consistent.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:26 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,226,959 times
I've never gotten the wage complaints, the Mom & Pop stores they are displacing certainly aren't paying the 16 year old girl working the register much more than min wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies