Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 12:48 PM

42,732 posts, read 30,071,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
When I am interested in your opinion of me, I'll be sure to let you know.

Now let's see if you can actually discuss the subject of this thread instead of speculating on my motives.

I don't buy food at Target either. I know where the food at my local grocery store comes from. I ask questions when in doubt. So now if someone cares about the quality of the food they consume they are snobs. This is getting funnier and funnier! We don't need photos of Walmart shoppers to bring levity to this thread - we need look no further than the emotional responses from the forum members who apparently have a horse in this race. (Or their feet in the aisles of Walmart.)
Yes, I do shop at Wal-Mart every once in a while. Heaven forbid that those of us that do should actually defend ourselves from snobbery and snide put-downs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 12:49 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,640,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
When I am interested in your opinion of me, I'll be sure to let you know.

Now let's see if you can actually discuss the subject of this thread instead of speculating on my motives.

I don't buy food at Target either. I know where the food at my local grocery store comes from. I ask questions when in doubt. So now if someone cares about the quality of the food they consume they are snobs. This is getting funnier and funnier! We don't need photos of Walmart shoppers to bring levity to this thread - we need look no further than the emotional responses from the forum members who apparently have a horse in this race. (Or their feet in the aisles of Walmart.)
Seeing people being so blatantly made fun of triggers an emotional response regardless of where I shop. And last I checked, crassness doesn't need a motive.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:53 PM

41,458 posts, read 60,098,327 times
DRob4Jc -

What are you asking? Is there a difference between capitalist market theory and actual business. Yes there is.

I meant that there is a vast difference between the economic theory of Capitalism with its open free markets without any barriers to entry or ability to influence prices and the art of business that very effectively destroys that market. The theoretical free markets of capitalistic economic theory are incredibly difficult places to make money compared with the effective monopolies enjoyed by the big grocery chains and Wal-Mart.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:53 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,632,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Seeing people being so blatantly made fun of triggers an emotional response regardless of where I shop. And last I checked, crassness doesn't need a motive.
You must be such fun at parties.

(I'll take that as a "no" on your part)

Old 06-08-2010, 12:55 PM

698 posts, read 1,517,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
On the supposition that all Walmart customers are human oddities, I should post here pics of the typical Democratic versus Republican political conventions. Am I to assume that Democrats mostly inhabit Walmart? I believe that would be a bad assumption. Walmart shoppers are simply smart shoppers. They save gas by finding everything in one store and they save money which is a fast-disappearing commodity for many folks in this Obama economy.
So true, go to some of the super democratic cities such as Seattle, Portland, and SF and you will see everyday people that put these "walmart creatures" to shame.

I have been living in Honolulu for almost a year and I can tell you that Walmart is a great thing. If your looking for quality products you might want to turn elsewhere but there are many products that you buy where quality isn't important. Items such as toothpaste, deodorant, toothbrushes, body wash, shampoo, cleaning supplies, trashbags, containers, and other essentials. Plus they offer great prices on Electronics. I bought a Sony 47'' LCD for only $599 in Hawaii which is unheard of.

Walmart saves me a lot of money and the money left over gets spent on other things. Walmart might get rid of a few mom and pop shops but with the money they save the overall community, people can spend their saved money on other items which boosts other parts of our consumer driven economy.

If the majority of people truly hated Walmart then they would stop shopping there and the company would go out of business. However, that isn't the case and Walmart is continuing to grow due to the demand for their affordable products.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:06 PM

24,542 posts, read 23,288,038 times
I know of at least afew privately owned supermarkets that sit within a few miles of Super Wal Marts and have no trouble being successful. You just can't compete with Wal Mart on their terms, you have to do what you do best and excel at where they fall short.
Same goes for other stores competing with the big box hardware stores, pet stores, clothing stores, electronic stores, etc.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:10 PM

4,794 posts, read 5,935,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
On the supposition that all Walmart customers are human oddities, I should post here pics of the typical Democratic versus Republican political conventions. Am I to assume that Democrats mostly inhabit Walmart? I believe that would be a bad assumption. Walmart shoppers are simply smart shoppers. They save gas by finding everything in one store and they save money which is a fast-disappearing commodity for many folks in this Obama economy.
You are right ! The Wal Mart shoppers are smart shoppers. If they showed their butt cracks in a high class store, they would be asked to leave. By remaining inside Wal mart, and letting it all (or most of it) hang out, they feel....well...they feel like FAMILY. Got your kid on a leash, and he's crawlin' on all fours ? Hot dang ! Give him some candy, wait till the sugar rush hits his adrenals, and put him on "high speed buff" so he can polish the floors.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:13 PM

35,308 posts, read 52,672,999 times
I have to admire how Walmart used the American system of business to become the success they are today, What i dont like is how China took all the American manufacturing jobs,if an American company can make a toaster for $10 and a Chinese company can make it for $1 shouldnt there be a $9 tariff on that toaster if China wants to sell it in the USA?
Guess its too late now but to think of all the companies that went elsewhere in the world to make their product irritates me.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:24 PM

698 posts, read 1,517,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I have to admire how Walmart used the American system of business to become the success they are today, What i dont like is how China took all the American manufacturing jobs,if an American company can make a toaster for $10 and a Chinese company can make it for $1 shouldnt there be a $9 tariff on that toaster if China wants to sell it in the USA?
Guess its too late now but to think of all the companies that went elsewhere in the world to make their product irritates me.
But why just a $9 tariff. Why not add $100 on to the toaster. Where do you draw the line?

Tariffs are a bad way to help the economy. In most cases they do the complete opposite and actually add to the trade deficit. Also if we were to get in a tariff war with other nations just think of all the other products we sell abroad that could get tariffs put on them. Tariffs cost the consumer more money(thus resulting in less money to spend on other items) and make the domestic company less competetive. If the Chinese can a sell a product for cheap then why can't the American company do the same.

If people truly want to bring back manufacturing to the USA then they need to ask their government to lower taxes, get rid of all the red tape, and make America more business/manufacturing friendly. Also local communities need to stop blocking new factories from being made in their communities. It seems everyone wants everyone else to build factories in their communities just not their own.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:40 PM

15,443 posts, read 21,516,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
You are right ! The Wal Mart shoppers are smart shoppers. If they showed their butt cracks in a high class store, they would be asked to leave. By remaining inside Wal mart, and letting it all (or most of it) hang out, they feel....well...they feel like FAMILY. Got your kid on a leash, and he's crawlin' on all fours ? Hot dang ! Give him some candy, wait till the sugar rush hits his adrenals, and put him on "high speed buff" so he can polish the floors.
I don't really go to Walmart to look at people's butt cracks but if that is your thing, hey, go for it. Are you saying then it is Democrats who mostly inhabit Walmart? I still doubt that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies