Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 12:04 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,274,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
God knows that I don't care for the way GWB ran the country while he was in office.

That said, I must also say that the man has had the decency to follow tradition and keep quiet since he left office (unlike Dick Cheney-who has no shame, honor, integrity, sense of proportion ,decency or short term memory).

GWB's role as co-chair is going to be to raise money and, let's face it: he is very good at it. His past political campaigns have proved it.

So, if it is going to benefit the people of Haiti, I applaud GWB's fundraising efforts. It is a proper and laudable thing for a former president to do. Perhaps the man can redeem himself now that he's not surrounded by Rove, Cheney, et al and he doesn't have to listen to Limbaugh, Robertson and the like.

Haiti needs all the help it can get.
Yup, Walker Bush should bring in some big money...afterall, the Puke said his base was the "Haves and Have Mores"......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 01:00 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,546,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
A) He has no clout

B) I've seen wingnuts immediately reject the political appeals of Hollywood actors and have to ask: What makes Bush any different?

He stole an election (likely two of them) botched one war and lied us into another, cannot speak in complete sentences without butchering his words, and has been proven to be an idiot on more occasions than one can count. I give the edge to all Hollywood actors in the "clout" dept..

YOU can support this fool going to Haiti if you so choose. I cannot support anything from him other than a full confession and admittance of the many mistakes and crimes committed in the name of this country.

I'd cut you some slack for stealing one election, but both? Wasn't it the libbies who thought the electoral college did not really matter...so Duhbya ended up with the total count the second time as well.

Gee, thanks.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:08 PM

8,965 posts, read 5,465,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i see virtually no difference between the transition from bush to obama, so it is no surprise that they are all working together. (including clinton).

i wonder how much of the aid is actually going to make it to the injured and the poor.
I wish them all the best in getting aid to that devastated country.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:21 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,865,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Talk about politicizing a disaster. Instead of applauding any effort to help the victims of this earthquake, withing the the first page or two we have people going on political and personal attacks against GW Bush, just for lending his clout to fund raise for the Haitian victims.
Very interesting perspective.

There are numerous threads on the haitian tragedy, and in those threads I do not mention politics because it's irrelevant. In every thread I've participated in, I've kept focus on those in trouble, and especially how to go about helping. I'm very concerned about how aid is delivered because throwing money at problems solves the least and is too often spendthrift when meaningful solutions could have been subsidized on a much better cost efficiency ratio. One that doesn't hamper the spirit of people helping themselves, because aid is not meant to be perpetual. But hey, what do I know, I'm just a kumbaya liberally liberal communist if your extremist cult party defined everyone who failed to agree.

My tongue in cheek commentary was the shorthand of something very profound about this man, his elders, and by and large the horrible image the GOP lives out regularly. This thread is about politics. You cannot help ANYONE you have contempt for, you might as well just ignore them because the contempt compounds the problem. It kicks a man when he's down, and I will never get behind any party engaged in that behavior. What's more, what the hell does that kind of attitude belong in conservative camp since it runs contrary to their core beliefs? Sociopath neo's get your own country, because clearly you aren't americans if you mean to annihilate any other political group and your inability to negotiate in good faith inherently disqualifies you from public service. I can defend your right to free speech, but I'll be damned if I'll defend your 'my way or the highway' revising the constitution to suit yourselves.

The GOP could soul search how insulted a wealthy black republican might be when he sees his campaign contributions spent on rapping republican ads to "reach out to the ghetto". Or they can continue blaming any one or any thing else for their own failures. No such thing as positive successful blacks to model/ emulate? Gee I wonder why Powell excused himself. It was so nice seeing conservative values represented honestly by a black who earned his way in life, and now neocons bash the man when he failed to be a dutiful token black. Powell is more conservative than most calling themselves conservative. A life of dedicated service erased with the snap of a finger. Ignore your unpleasant contributions to history as stalin systematically erased his friends in photos. Who is the communist?

I'm glad the bipartisan end of things is a non issue, even though both extremes whip it up. I refrained participation in that if you didn't notice. Selective attention is a biotch when you get called on it so regularly. Health care has what to do with Haiti? Ray would be characterizing arkansas clinton as a good old boy if not for the fact that many R's are proudly good old boys, so his smear alludes to the stereotypical contempt of city folk? But you won't police your own when they're in effect feeding lies that serves to alienate voting groups from one another? Gee I wonder why you lost.

I doubt Bush's ability to have any meaningful contribution to Haitians themselves. Clout? He had a helluva time raising money for his own self congratulatory presidential library. Time will tell. Either way, you won't hear any other Americans who disagree with neocon ideology WISH Bush to fail at his mission contributions. I reserve grave doubts, but I wish him to succeed. Of course you'll choose to disbelieve because it doesn't suit your confirmation bias. Liberals might use you as a poster child for mental health programs, and moderate majority might find themselves so sick to death of your antics they just might endorse a clockwork orange plan.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:42 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,865,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
They should send in the Girl Scouts to take on this mission. Nobody messes with the Girl Scouts.
ROFL ty for chuckle. I was a girlscout. Perhaps I should start a girlscout anti defamation league because girlscout americans being associated with mob activity isn't a rumor I want spread around. We prefer to keep it secret!

Old 01-17-2010, 06:32 PM

26,210 posts, read 19,688,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
I'd cut you some slack for stealing one election, but both? Wasn't it the libbies who thought the electoral college did not really matter...so Duhbya ended up with the total count the second time as well.

Gee, thanks.

Karl Rove and company stole Ohio, which in 2004 was the Florida of 2000.'

You're welcome.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:04 AM

46,197 posts, read 27,891,415 times
Can someone tell me why Obama would even ask Bush to help - even though Obama thought Bush did such a terrible job w/ Katrina? Is it a scheme to blame Bush for the slow response this time?

Summoning the help from someone you repeatedly blame for your problems? Who is the dunce here?

Old 01-18-2010, 11:55 AM

1,596 posts, read 1,947,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
He did a lot of good work in Africa while President. Because he didn't get a lot of press for this work it has often gone unnoticed. Perhaps he can do good work in Haiti too.
Bush is revered in Africa.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:01 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,448,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Can someone tell me why Obama would even ask Bush to help - even though Obama thought Bush did such a terrible job w/ Katrina? Is it a scheme to blame Bush for the slow response this time?

Summoning the help from someone you repeatedly blame for your problems? Who is the dunce here?
The same reason that Bush asked his father & Bill Clinton to help in the Thailand thing -- it's what statesmen do. Presidents and Former Presidents are statesmen.

Last edited by Sagran; 01-18-2010 at 12:20 PM..

Old 01-18-2010, 03:27 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,276,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
there is only so much you can do for idiots. people in NO are still cashing in on that disaster better than working. what ever happened to being responsible for yourself?
This is probably one of the crappiest posts I've ever read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies