Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 03:43 AM

71 posts, read 289,192 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't trust Bush The Son to baby-sit my 6 year old nephew. Asking Bush The Son to oversea the relief operations of one of humanity's worst crisis is just too unsettling for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 04:18 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,969,630 times
They should send in the Girl Scouts to take on this mission. Nobody messes with the Girl Scouts.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:57 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,836,810 times
Clinton and Bush were put together to show that politics should be put aside for the relief efforts going on in Haiti. One Democrat and one Republican..both former Presidents of the United States.

For a change..why not follow in their footsteps regarding charity to Haiti..put the dang politics aside.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:02 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,227,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Clinton and Bush were put together to show that politics should be put aside for the relief efforts going on in Haiti. One Democrat and one Republican..both former Presidents of the United States.

For a change..why not follow in their footsteps regarding charity to Haiti..put the dang politics aside.
It's ALL politics.

Playing at bi-partisanship IS politics.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:24 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,441,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted_Logic View Post
I wouldn't trust Bush The Son to baby-sit my 6 year old nephew. Asking Bush The Son to oversea the relief operations of one of humanity's worst crisis is just too unsettling for me.
The guy is a fund raiser. That's a big part of what it's about -- raising funds. Just lending his name to the effort should increase contributions. There are professionals in place to do the work.

On the other hand, Clinton has had nine years to build up some sort of structure and system to do this sort of the thing. Bush and Clinton are friends and get along, and they have the elder Bush to fall back on.

They'll do a good job.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:32 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,441,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
What will people say about Obama when he widens the war in Afghanistan, takes it to Yemen and sends more troops to fight? Since he got elected he is more like Bush since he has found out Bush was right to fight the war instead of letting terrorists take over.

Talk about helping billionaires and the others, Obama has given them bailouts with more to come.
And this matters to the Haitian effort how?

Even Bush and Clinton spoke against the partisanation of the Haitian earthquake effort on Face the Nation (and probably everywhere else) today.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:43 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,357,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
Even Bush and Clinton spoke against the partisanation of the Haitian earthquake effort on Face the Nation (and probably everywhere else) today.
I really hope that people will follow suit and let these two guys do their jobs without the armchair quarterbacks trying to inject politics into the relief effort.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:47 AM

7,200 posts, read 4,805,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
God knows that I don't care for the way GWB ran the country while he was in office.

That said, I must also say that the man has had the decency to follow tradition and keep quiet since he left office (unlike Dick Cheney-who has no shame, honor, integrity, sense of proportion ,decency or short term memory).

GWB's role as co-chair is going to be to raise money and, let's face it: he is very good at it. His past political campaigns have proved it.

So, if it is going to benefit the people of Haiti, I applaud GWB's fundraising efforts. It is a proper and laudable thing for a former president to do. Perhaps the man can redeem himself now that he's not surrounded by Rove, Cheney, et al and he doesn't have to listen to Limbaugh, Robertson and the like.

Haiti needs all the help it can get.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:57 AM

7,200 posts, read 4,805,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

OMG, I agree with your post.

Clinton and Bush both are excellent fundraisers. They are not going to be "directing" or "coordinating" relief operations. Other people are going to do that.

What the two former Presidents are going to do is raise funds. Watching two former political rivals get together to accomplish an important task in the relief effort for Haiti is a good reflection upon themselves and this whole country as a whole. I believe it improves our image around the world.

In times of need and grief, Americans come together. That is one American trait that we need to exercise more often.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:58 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,384,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
GWB's role as co-chair is going to be to raise money and, let's face it: he is very good at it. His past political campaigns have proved it.
He had something to offer the donors at the time - and he delivered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies