Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2009, 02:53 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,358,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
i have to say that the mother should realisticaaly thought about this before hand. The question is should mather be in the army really;where this comes up.
She did think about it how many plans does the military ask for? Ah...one maybe they should require two or three so that you have a backup for your backup.But, then again, how many backups should a person have? And no, I dont think Single parents or both parents should be allowed in the military. Someone needs to be able to take care of the kids, a parent needs to be there for their kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 03:41 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,422,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
Your sister was a officer. The navy would of been a great career for her especially being a officer. Officers have many perks in the military & receive the upmost respect. When you're rank is below a non comissioned officer (sgt in the army) you are treated like dirt. I dont know the ranks in the other branches (navy, marines & airforce).
My sister also worked her ass off to earn that rank (she had attained the naval equivalent of major) and the privileges that extend therefrom. That respect wasn't just handed to her, she earned it.

I don't have a lot of sympathy for people who sign up to get treated like dirt for a paycheck and then act put out when they get treated like dirt. This woman had an obligation to make provisions for her family and she didn't. That's not the army's fault.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:01 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,906,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
Thats what I think is so funny. You could care less that I am right about this woman doing the right thing. All you care about is how I view the military. Tell me if you were put in her shoes that you wouldnt do the same. Left with no option but to put your child up for adoption or in foster care, you wouldnt. You would do exactly what this woman did. I dont care what oath you swore. Your human, and we a born with natural paternal insticts.
The point is I think you are very wrong in your so called facts. IMHO. It seems you let your opinion of the military cloud your reasoning. And for the record, I had three people who were willing and able to care for my kids. I made sure of it. Ranking at the top of parental responsibilities is making sure they are taken care of if something should happen to you. Not making some slack-a$$ attempt at the perception of.

I feel badly for the kid because his mother dosen't seem to give two sh**s about what happens. But we need to have someone to blame so how about the military for expecting her to live up to her responsibilities and contract.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
She did think about it how many plans does the military ask for? Ah...one maybe they should require two or three so that you have a backup for your backup.But, then again, how many backups should a person have? And no, I dont think Single parents or both parents should be allowed in the military. Someone needs to be able to take care of the kids, a parent needs to be there for their kids.
You are taught in basic training that one plan is not enough. To compensate for contingencies you better have a backup plan, and yes, maybe 2 or 3.

Yes someone needs to be there for the kids. She wasn't. At least she wasn't planning fro any problems. A little common sense goes a long way. It seems to be lacking in her and these posts.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:05 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,762,068 times
Quote:
I only know from what research I have done on this topic. The Army even admits to having given her and extension and then pulling it back. They asked her to have a family plan...Check. They told her to deploy...check.

Her family plan fell through, not her fault. Sure Her mom had a heavy load to begin with, but I am sure the mother thought her daughter would never be deployed so she agreed. The Woman did exactly what was asked.
You are sure that her mother thought she wouldn't deploy? Really?

Quote:
She reported to her CO...I can only assume she did the right thing there. They gave her an extension, then took it back. Not her fault. Now she is facing a court martial for doing the right thing...Morally right.
She neglected to show up to be deployed. Even if you think you cannot go, you still have to show up. The morally right thing would have been to ask for a separation when she realized she couldn't find a caretaker.

Quote:
Yep, sounds like she did everything that was asked up until the military took back her extension. They very easily could have just let her go and kept in quiet. No one would have known what happened. But instead they decide to make an example out of this woman.
She decided to go to the press, no doubt hoping for a trial of 'public opinion.'
Here is what I do know: the military does not tell people to put their children in foster care. Does. Not.

So, since that little detail of her story is obviously a fabrication, why should we believe the rest of it? How do you know she and mom didn't plan this hoping to forestall her deployment. Somehow magically, mom was able to fly in and get the baby anyway. Something is really fishy.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
How do you know this for sure?

He doesn't. His opinion is clouded by his thoughts on the military. Perhaps we should have made a more popular war for him. But even PrexBo believed, at one point at least, that it was the right fight.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
I only know from what research I have done on this topic. The Army even admits to having given her and extension and then pulling it back. They asked her to have a family plan...Check. They told her to deploy...check.

Her family plan fell through, not her fault. Sure Her mom had a heavy load to begin with, but I am sure the mother thought her daughter would never be deployed so she agreed. The Woman did exactly what was asked.

She reported to her CO...I can only assume she did the right thing there. They gave her an extension, then took it back. Not her fault. Now she is facing a court martial for doing the right thing...Morally right.

Yep, sounds like she did everything that was asked up until the military took back her extension. They very easily could have just let her go and kept in quiet. No one would have known what happened. But instead they decide to make an example out of this woman.

How would you have liked to be the person to take her place? Knowing that just because she did something foolish she was going to get away with not reporting and not having to go to a battlfield? Give you a nice, warm, fuzzy feeling wouldn't it? You wouldn't hold it against her? Nor your family. one poster was right: she'd make a good pointman.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:39 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,216,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post

well if you think its so easy then join.
with two or three weeks of training you'd be the perfect point man.
the bottom line is she knew what she was in for before she joined and the army all ways tells you to have a back up plan.
is this the post you were referring to tinbender?
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
How would you have liked to be the person to take her place? Knowing that just because she did something foolish she was going to get away with not reporting and not having to go to a battlfield? Give you a nice, warm, fuzzy feeling wouldn't it? You wouldn't hold it against her? Nor your family. one poster was right: she'd make a good pointman.
some people can see that some one is going to have to take her place.
maybe the person who does has two or three kids.
if she signed the papers then its her responsibility to up hold her end of the contract.
but you know me tinbender i call it how i see it.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
is this the post you were referring to tinbender?

some people can see that some one is going to have to take her place.
maybe the person who does has two or three kids.
if she signed the papers then its her responsibility to up hold her end of the contract.
but you know me tinbender i call it how i see it.
Yup. Dat's da one ranger. And yes; you lay it on the line. I like that. The scholars don't seem to get it. No matter how you say it they just go back in the thread to a different statement they meade and try to run with that again. They don't look far enough ahead to see someone else has to take the deployment. I would hate it if that happened to my SIL.

Last edited by retiredtinbender; 11-18-2009 at 05:09 PM.. Reason: Be nice

Old 11-18-2009, 05:46 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,216,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Yup. Dat's da one ranger. And yes; you lay it on the line. I like that. The scholars don't seem to get it. No matter how you say it they just go back in the thread to a different statement they meade and try to run with that again. They don't look far enough ahead to see someone else has to take the deployment. I would hate it if that happened to my SIL.
all ways plan ahead and have a back up plan or two.
some one was eating dinner with her/his family and got the call to take her place i bet.
its not a 9to 5 job folks 24 hr 365 even off duty your not off duty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies